• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old-Time Games

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Do we still find ourselves going through older Pokémon games every now and again, such as Yellow, FireRed, Gale of Darkness, and so forth? If so, how often do we do it? Are we running through anything at the moment?

Me--currently, I'm trying a play-through of FireRed version. It's been a while since I had played it; four years, maybe! Although I did get to explore Kanto again couple of months back on my latest run of HeartGold version, story-line wasn't the same, which had helped me go back to the game, so to speak.

Before that, it was HeartGold, as I'd already stated, and prior to this, I've gone through Pokémon Snap (played this one on an emulator; sadly, my N64 no longer functions correctly). In future, I'm planning to give Emerald a go. I am playing Omega Ruby, but am still deciding to give Emerald version another run mostly due to nostalgic purposes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    I often use the old games for challenges, although I sometime just pick up one of the old games and play it when I have no challenges and I'm bored.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I can't do it anymore, I'm spoiled by the newer mechanics and graphics. I'll turn on my old games now and then but then I'm reminded of the painful slowness of the walking and battling. As well as the limited TM use and the no auto-repel feature. This always happens when a new generation releases.

Years
  • I go back to Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness from time to time. And I play Heartgold a lot because its my favorite Pokemon game.

Other than those three, not really. I have them all so I can play them if I ever feel the need to though :3

Years
  • I play LeafGreen once a week or so for a few hours. This is because I do a few challenges on that game so I do go back to it. It actually surprises me sometimes. It doesn't feel like you're playing an old game, and you can really see the difference from Red/Blue.

Years
  • I still enjoy playing my main White 2. It's still my favorite game in the series, and has my second highest save time of any of my Pokémon games, with 360 hours so far. I like going there to do things like play in the PWT or White Treehollow or even the Battle Subway or Battle Institute when I don't feel like doing any challenges or what not. I played it for some of the event challenges that we had last year like Stadium Arcadium and some of the Carnival of Horrors events. I even completed my trainer card in it last September. One of these days i'll reach 200 medals...

Speaking of challenges, that's what I have other games like Platinum for, and I picked up Leaf Green for the first time in a while recently. I've logged well over 700 hours with all my plays of B2W2, and over 600 with all of them from XY.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    I still play 1st gen for nostalgia reasons, and I'll even break out Pokémon Stadium on my N64, Haha. Mostly, though, I find myself going through FireRed. And Crystal version, just because it's nice to play it on my GBA every now and then.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I can't say no to replaying Pokemon Crystal, Emerald, and FireRed. :3

Right now on pokemon Crystal I'm attempting a Eeveelution challenge where basically my pokemon team is only from the Eevee evolution family, including Eevee itself, so, as well as Jolteon, Vaporeon, Flareon, Espeon and Umbreon! And honestly, replaying FireRed? The Gym Leader music is always phenomenal:

Like, always amazing to get back to, aah. Like people have said that the Kanto region is boring and whatever, but, I think it's still worth it to replay because of the memories. :3

Years
  • I'll replay any of the old games that I can for challnges. Someday I hope to collect all the Pokemon games I'm missing and the consoles they're played on.

Years
  • I go back to just about all of them at some point except for FireRed, which I'll occasionally pick up and play for about five minutes before remembering that I really don't care for it and turn it off and grab Yellow instead.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I go back to just about all of them at some point except for FireRed, which I'll occasionally pick up and play for about five minutes before remembering that I really don't care for it and turn it off and grab Yellow instead.

LOL, that's me, too. Yellow beats FRLG any day, 8-bit graphics be damned. ;)

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Of course I do. I played Silver as a child and love the older games to death. Especially the ones with glitches. :3

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I like returning to Platinum, Black and Black 2, but mostly because they're my most favourite Pokémon games. Although they do bring a lot of nostalgic memories, for some reason. With Black 2, I tend to return to that more as I'm trying to reach my Trainer Card to the highest rank.

Otherwise I'd rather play newer Pokémon games. They feel as if they have more to offer, as well as being more fast-paced.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I just can't seem to have the motivation to play the older games anymore. The oldest games I can engage in and still play are DPPT, they're still amongst my favourites of the series.

Years
  • Whenever I play any kind of game for the first time, I always play it again just to change my playstyle. The old-time games in Pokémon are no exception.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I have absolutly no sense of 'time' when it comes to this. I like to play any of my games I have for real cartridges and do challenges on emu. Other than Gen II, hacks, and Emerald I don't do normal runs on emu. I can just as easily go from AlphaSapphire to Yellow to White to Diamond to SoulSilver to Yellow again to Y to AlphaSapphire to Sapphire to White 2 to...... And it just keeps repeating....

Years
  • I haven't tried it lately, but at one point in the past I tried replaying my blue version, since I had so many good memories of that game. Ought to be okay, right?

....mmmm nope. Somehow, even though I have no problems with older games like that (and even have a soft spot in my heart for such kinds of games), I just couldn't play it. Maybe the sprites were TOO pixelated. Maybe the battles didn't go quite how I was used to by then. Whatever the reason, I just couldn't play my beloved blue version again, and I had to set it down and walk away. :(

By now I think the reason I tend not to do so is because I can't be bothered finding my older handhelds to play the games (or whatever console games I had, I have neither the game nor the system on me anymore). They're here somewhere, I just don't want to go looking for them.

Years
  • That's part of the reason why I don't play the Generation III games like FRLG and Emerald as much anymore. After the DS introduced automatic sleep capabilities, getting used to that makes it hard for me to play the variants without them, since I can take DPPt/HGSS/BW(2)/XY/ORAS anywhere and put it away when I don't want to have it out. Not so much with Generation III, and I and II for that matter.

Years
  • The oldest game I found myself attempting to go back to lately was Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, but then again I'm far too used to current mechanics, which makes replaying older games hard for me unless if there's some motivation behind it. Other than that, I stick to the current generation games.

Years
  • got red when it first came out! Loved it then didnt play pokemon till X and Y. What was I thinking?!

Back