• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help building new team

Years
  • Hi,
    I need help building a new team, old team sucks and didn't worked out :'( I didn't know about Ev and stuff like that so I'm starting over now.
    My Pokemon team are:
    Flygon
    Naive
    Ev 252 speed/ 252 attack
    -Earth quake
    -Roost
    -U-turn
    -Dragon claw

Charizard
    Adamant
    Ev 252 speed/ 252 attack
    -Dragon dance
    -Roost
    -Flair blitz
    -Fly

Frostlass
    Hasty
    Ev ???( I missed up the ev and really want to know how to start her ev training again)
    -Destiny bond
    -Ice beam
    -Shadow ball
    -Blizzard

Gallade
    Adamant
    Ev 252 attack/forgot the other 252..its ehiter on HP or Speed
    -Close combat
    -Sword dance
    -Leaf blade
    -Psycho cut

Electivire
    Modest
    EV 252 attack/252 hp/or defense forgot >_>
    -Thunder bolt
    -Thunder
    -Flamethrower
    -Focus blast

Gardevoir
    Hasty
    Ev???
    -Thunder bolt
    -Reflect
    -Psychic
    -Toxic
    --------------------
    Here's some other one I have
    Nidoking
    Adamant
    Ev-252 attack/252 defense?
    -Toxic spikes
    -Super horn
    -Earth quake
    -Poison jab

Weavile
    Jolly
    Ev 252 attack/252 speed
    -Aerial Ace
    -Ice punch
    -Night slash
    -Brick break

Loudred (going to make him into Exploud)
    Naughy
    Ev 252 attack/252 sp.attack
    -Hyper voice
    -surf
    -flamethrower
    -Ice beam

So, that's pretty much it.
    Can anyone give me so good advice and tips, like what should I take out(Pokemons or move) or what should I add?

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • We need to know the items
    you should have a jolly flygon cause you have no fireblast on it
    charizard sucks in OU
    Never put att evs into your electivire if it is special attacker, put sp att evs

Double stab on electivire and froslass are not a good idea (froslass and electivire should have blizzard OR ice beam and thunder OR thunderbolt not both)

You need a dragon resist on your team, in fact salamence comes in on your team and wrecks all of it with dragon dance outrage.

Hasty gardevoir? wut? just get rid of it and put bronzong on, hes a much better dual screener and provides the dragon resist you so despritly need

fly is cool and everything but it not useful in competitive battling

I mean i guess its cool that your using your favorite pokemon and everything but numerous weaknesses aren't covered i'll name some for you
    A rock type move is threatening your froslass, you have no safe switch and frosslass dies

a pseudo bolt beam gengar is about to use shadow ball and since you have no safe switch unfortunatly galade/ gardevoir bites the dust

un-named dragon is using un-named dragon stab move on any of your team, you don't have a dragon resist and bad things happen to one of your pokemon

that kind of thing will happen on this team frequently unfortunatly. No walls, no stealth rock or entry hazards to help your hyper offensive team, no support pokemon.

yeah thats about it, i don't mean to be harsh so don't take it that way

zommy08

Crimson Trainer
    Years
  • Most of your natures suck, sorry. You should have Jolly Flygon and Timid Froslass.
    Also, superhorn doesn't exist. u mean megahorn.
    Use a different move from Thunder on Electivire. Charge Beam should be good. Electivire should have Spd EVs, not HP.

Essence

Aura L♥VE
    Years
  • First, we need to know items.

Okay, I'll tell you what to change for each pokemon:

Flygon: Nothing much, except I'd go adamant nature
    Charizard: Fly is a bad move for battling, suggest Aerial Ace maybe? I don't know :3
    Frosslass: Wants EV spread 252 SpA and 252 Spe, Switch blizzard for confuse ray
    Gallade: 252 Spe EV
    Electrivire: What are you doing here? 252 Atk EV is right, but all your moves are SpA.... Change what you want then I'll judge
    Gardevoir: If you really want to use this moveset, probably EV 252 SpA and 252 Spe/SpD/Def/Hp I don't know :3

Hope I helped

Years
  • We need to know the items
    you should have a jolly flygon cause you have no fireblast on it
    charizard sucks in OU
    Never put att evs into your electivire if it is special attacker, put sp att evs

Double stab on electivire and froslass are not a good idea (froslass and electivire should have blizzard OR ice beam and thunder OR thunderbolt not both)

You need a dragon resist on your team, in fact salamence comes in on your team and wrecks all of it with dragon dance outrage.

Hasty gardevoir? wut? just get rid of it and put bronzong on, hes a much better dual screener and provides the dragon resist you so despritly need

fly is cool and everything but it not useful in competitive battling

I mean i guess its cool that your using your favorite pokemon and everything but numerous weaknesses aren't covered i'll name some for you
    A rock type move is threatening your froslass, you have no safe switch and frosslass dies

a pseudo bolt beam gengar is about to use shadow ball and since you have no safe switch unfortunatly galade/ gardevoir bites the dust

un-named dragon is using un-named dragon stab move on any of your team, you don't have a dragon resist and bad things happen to one of your pokemon

that kind of thing will happen on this team frequently unfortunatly. No walls, no stealth rock or entry hazards to help your hyper offensive team, no support pokemon.

yeah thats about it, i don't mean to be harsh so don't take it that way

LOL! It's cool thanks for being honest, The reason Flygon have Naive narute because I want it to have good speed, and lesser Sp. def (I don't people would attack my Flygon with Sp.attack, and if they do attack it with a specail attack I will know it would be ice beam or draco metor,then I'll just swtich to Frosslass to take the damage.)
    I always thought Charizard was the best pokemon >_> what happen to him lately?
    oh no, no, I accidentally put attack hes actually my Sp.attack/sp.tank, I was tying all of this late at night, sorry.
    I like using thunder for people who like using fly.
    I use a hasty gardevior for the extra speed as a lead, to make sure she use toxic and reflect in time.

Most of your natures suck, sorry. You should have Jolly Flygon and Timid Froslass.
    Also, superhorn doesn't exist. u mean megahorn.
    Use a different move from Thunder on Electivire. Charge Beam should be good. Electivire should have Spd EVs, not HP.

Yea, these were my first pokemons b4 I even know about nautes and EV, well I knew about natures but I knew very little.
    Yea I meant to say Megahorn my fault epic fail, I guess >_> lol

Thanks, Essence every piece of advice helps. :)

I know I need to take out my Flygon,and maybe Gardevoir :(
    but, what pokemon should I replace them with?

And thanks NickofTime,zommy08,Essence for the reply.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Okay, I hate to say it, but most of the rates given so far...aren't really all that hot.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon

That for starters, will more than likely help you a bunch. It will help with natures, movesets, and EVs, all of which look like you need help on. Anyone wanting to start with competitive battling should really read that guide first.

Secondly, this is a list of the Pokemon, which each has a list of viable movesets (including nature, item, EVs, and IVs [if applicable, for things such as hitting a certain speed or HP for Substitutes]). It also lists the tier that the Pokémon is in, as with all competitve battling the tier you battle in depends on the Pokémon. For example, your team is a giant mix of tiers: You have OUs (Flygon and Electivire), BLs (Froslass and Gallade), and NU (Gardevoir and Charizard). For some teams this can work, if a lower tier Pokemon fits a niche in your team (For example, let's say you were running a Rain Dance team: Kabutops and Ludicolo are two UU Pokemon that would fit great on this team, accompanied by some OU Pokemon such as Kingdra who are all positively affected by the rain). In general, it is easier to stick to Pokemon in that tier, as that is where they are generally the most effective.

Thirdly, for the team you've created, you are (As NickOfTime did say) <Insert Dragon Here> weak. If it even gets in one Dragon Dance, it will outspeed your entire team, and without a Steel type to resist the hits, it will easily sweep your team. To remedy that, I would suggest putting a steel-type in, probably over Charizard, as it is pretty bad in the OU tier (Which is what you have to go by, as even with one OU Pokemon your team is considered OU). On top of that, you NEED a Stealth Rock user: Stealth Rock is a move that when a Pokemon switches in, it will loses a certain amount of HP depending on its typing (If it is neutral to rock, it will take 12.5% damage. If it is 2x weak, 25%, 4x weak, 50%, .5x weak, 6.25%, .25 weak, 3.125% damage.) This move is crucial because it can turn many potential two hit knockouts into one hit knockouts. To remedy both the steel issue and Stealth Rock, the use of a Bronzong in the lead position would help.

Bronzong@Leftovers/Lum Berry (Leftovers is generally more useful, but if you fear leads that will put you to Sleep, use Lum Berry)
    Levitate
    Sassy Nature
    252 HP/84 Atk/80 Def/92 SpD

• Stealth Rock
    • Gyro Ball
    • Earthquake
    • Explosion/Hypnosis (Explosion to go out with a bang, Hypnosis to try to sleep someone, although the 60% accuracy is shaky at best)
    If you want to use Electivire, the only even viable set is MixVire, and that still isn't that great, but eh, we have our quirks I guess.

Electivire@Life Orb
    Motor Drive
    Mild Nature
    252 SpA/36 Atk/220 Spe

• Thunderbolt
    • Hidden Power Ice/Grass (Depends if taking out the Dragons and Gliscor is more important than hitting Swampert and vice-versa)
    • Cross Chop
    • Flamethrower
    That's just a start for you. My job isn't to build you a complete new team, but to help you out. But just a little tips: Gardevoir and Gallade aren't very good in OU, so I would replace them. You could run a Choice Band Flygon set to abuse U-Turn to scout and dent some stuff for a sweep later on. There are much better Ghosts in OU than Froslass (Re: Rotom-A). It really just depends on what type of team you're going for.

Years
  • Ok,
    so does this team sounds cool?

Glisor lead
    Adamant
    Ev: 252 Atk/252 speed
    -roost
    -earthquake,
    -stone edge
    -??

Arcanine
    Adamant/jolly
    Ev:252 attack/100sp.def/100 def/52 speed
    -ExtreamSpeed
    -Flare Blitz
    -Thunder Fang
    -Roar?/Iron tail

Rayquaza Att tank
    Adamant
    Ev:252 Attack/252 Defense
    -Extream speed
    -Fly (Outrage
    -Dragon claw
    -Dragon dance

Alakazam anti lead/Sp.tank @ focus slash
    Timd/Modest
    Ev:252 Sp.Attack/252 Speed
    -encore
    -shadow ball
    -phcyic,
    -focus blast

shuckle Great Wall
    Relaxed
    Ev:252 Hp/100 Def/152 Sp.Def
    -rest
    -stealth rock
    -wrap
    -knock off/

Cloyster???
    Bold
    Ev:252 S.Atk/100 Spd/150 Sp.def
    -Rapid spin
    -Surf
    -Ice beam
    -Supersonic

So is it bad or good?

Essence

Aura L♥VE
    Years
  • Gah.... no..

Just gonna say a few things
    Rayquaza is uber and banned
    Wrap and knock off are terrible moves
    Etc. I could og on forever.. :L

Sorry.

Years
  • ^ Knock Off is a good support move and can screw over Pokemon that rely too heavily on items. Either way it'll make a significant difference to your opponent's Pokemon.

I agree with you on Wrap though. Give it Toxic instead.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    I would give your starter stealth rock, not your wall, as you want to lay down stealth rock asap (yer opponent will be laying stealth rock as soon as they can too!).

also you wall I would suggest changing your wall pokemon, or changing the moveset. After all the point of a wall is to stall -while either hurting them slowly or healing your team-

yes shuckle has great defense, but whats the point of using him if he cant benefit the battle?

an example of walls:

using toxic, or inflicting other status problems like paralysis, thus overal handicapping their team.

using heal bell or aromatherapy, two moves which cleanse your entire team of status problems.

i prefer walls such as blissey or Wobbuffet, but there are many different types of walls. just do some research and see which kind of tank/wall best fits your style.

youve got to incorporate one of those two strategies into your wall.

Also I agree that having a pokemon with rapid spin is great since they will definately be using stealth rock and other similar move, but cloyster may not be the best option. I would choose Starmie (because of it's amazing speed and special attack) or tentacruel as your "spinner." Both of those poke's can not only spin your side of the field clean, but can also pack a punch offensively.

go to smogon (pokemon battling website) it has a PLETHORA of useful information.

Back