• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shane's BS Team

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
Years
  • Hey all! It's sure been awhile. Got back to battling on Shoddy recently, and I've come to realize (after three successive losses) that my cherished Bug/Sandstorm team is rather critically flawed. It's a team that I made some time ago for a now-defunct league here on PC. I was rather proud of it because, to my knowledge, no man has ever before concocted a Bug team that (theoretically) revolves around Sandstorm. Its basic premise works well enough, but it still has a few crippling errors (Forretress) that prevent it from achieving greatness, so some advice from one more experienced than me would be appreciated. I feel like a more intelligent player than I used to be, but I'm still far from being decent. I'm willing to change pretty much anything here, though I do need to maintain 4 Bug types to be able to call it a Bug team.

Origami @ Leftovers
    291.png

Speed Boost
    176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
    Jolly
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Baton Pass
    - X-Scissor

Guess what this does? I won't go into too much detail here, as even the n00biest n00b knows the game he's playing. Tyranitar and Flygon are quite understandably my favorites to receive his blessing. One major problem that I do have with him (apart from his standard counters) is CS Flygon, which outspeeds and kills me immediately. I'm not sure, though, if I should bother switching his Speed EV's - I don't even know if it would help.

Winry @ Babiri Berry
    248.png

Sandstream
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake
    -Thunderpunch

She's my early-game sweeper. Plenty of power and decent speed (after BP, anyway). I'd really like her to be more bulky, but I'm afraid that if I put some of that Spe into HP, she'll be too outpaced to compete. The Babiri Berry is there so Scizor doesn't force a switch. TP is there for... Milotic? Don't know what I was thinking with that one; SE should be enough to OHKO or at leas 2HKO her. I'm open to suggestions regarding Winry and Origami's special relationship. The strategy is cool when it works, but when it doesn't, it falls hard on its face. And as I said, I'd rather bulk her out, anyway. Maybe trade TP for Sub...? Hmm.

Kate @ Choice Band
    212.png

Technician
    248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
    Adamant
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -U-Turn
    -Pursuit

This one is even more paradoxical than Origami. Does her job like she's supposed to. Here's a question, though: Why 8 Spe? Why such an odd number? Is standard CB Scizor designed to specifically outpace a certain counter? I don't do stat match-ups much, so I wouldn't know.

Beta @ Life Orb
    330.png

Levitate
    80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
    Rash
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast
    -Earthquake
    -U-Turn

More shameless lifting from the Smogon strategy section! Hooray! This one is new; it used to be Heatran, but I decided to can Barney in favor of the dragonfly because a) Heatran is awkward and clumsy on the best of days, and Choice serves only to exarcerbate this, b) I hate playing the infamous "Dos-Heatranos" prediction game, and c) I hate Heatran in general; he is ugly, stupid, and probably smells bad. What I like about Beta is that he's a versatile, fairly speedy killer who can take Origami's BP if he for some reason proves to be a better choice than Winry. What I don't like about him is that Heatran's primary purpose, besides something with a fire attack (and oddly/stupidly enough, Flygon coverage) was to absorb Flamethrowers, Fire Blasts and other general bits of hot unpleasantness aimed at poor Kate, and while Beta does resist these, he doesn't do so nearly as well as Heatran, and Flygon always has been and shall be quite far from beind a tank. Then again, Levitate does neutralize Earth Power in the event that I switch him into Heatran and they used EP expecting me to switch to Heatran myself... but that's a longshot. I do like Levitate anyway, though. I'm just not sure on this one.

Cyanide @ Sitrus Berry
    213.png

Gluttony
    248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
    Impish
    -Stealth Rock
    -Toxic
    -Sandstorm
    -Knock Off

I love Shuckle. He's cute, tough, and pretty decent support, if he's got the right build, anyway... which I sometimes feel I don't. My strategy with him is to toss him out early in the game or pretty much when the first big, bulky defender pops up and then set up SR or use whichever other move seems beneficial at the moment. He has Sandstorm just in case my opponent manages to negate Winry's. I'm not sure what to do with his EV's, but SS gives his SpD an auto boost of 1 stage, which is helpful, because people love Surfing him to death. My biggest deal with him is findng the right stat balance to ensure that he can survive a couple Surfs and Stone Edges, do what he needs to, and then switch out. I'm also thinking I might be able to give him a better item than that damn Sitrus Berry, which will only grant him another turn about 1 time in 5.

Dusthide @ Shed Shell
    205.png

I wish he had a better ability.
    252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def
    Impish
    -Spikes
    -Rapid Spin
    -Earthquake
    -Explosion

Kind of the weak link in the team, or maybe I just don't play him correctly. My battle strategy as far as he's concerned seems to be "set up Spikes until it is unwise to do so, Explode." I really like him for Hippowdon, though, and now that I'm using one with some decent attack (and lying to myself and switching him into special attackers) he might actually be useful. I gave him EQ over Gyro Ball or Payback because, even though it can't hit quite a few things, it will OHKO Heatran and Magnezone, and dent Jirachi and Metagross. I don't think he's as useless in this team as I used to believe. I was probably just playing like an idiot with him.

So there's my team. Sandstorm's kinda neat here, but isn't as integral to the battle strategy as I'd like. Each Pokemon is decent, but generally lacking in one area or other. Or, as I said, I could just be an idiot battler that doesn't know when to switch , attack, or Explode. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Back