• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Macho Brace

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    I was just wondering how this worked exactly. I have read a whole oot of different things about it. I want to equip my Entei with it to add to his attack but I am not sure if that would be the correct course of action. Maybe any other items from FR/LG that help with development?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Years
  • Before I attempt to explain it, do you properly understand the EV system? Because you'll need to if you want to find out how the Macho Brace works.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    Before I attempt to explain it, do you properly understand the EV system? Because you'll need to if you want to find out how the Macho Brace works.

I was actually going to include that in my original post but did not. What is the difference between the EV system, which I have read some about, and the regular stats such as Attack and defense? I know the Macho Brace slows speed and adds attack or something. I'm just trying to get an understanding of exactly what it does.

Short answer, not really.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I was actually going to include that in my original post but did not. What is the difference between the EV system, which I have read some about, and the regular stats such as Attack and defense? I know the Macho Brace slows speed and adds attack or something. I'm just trying to get an understanding of exactly what it does.

Short answer, not really.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values
    That would pretty much answer all of your woes regarding EVs. I highly recommend reading that. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you read about all of this and completely understand in order to appreciate the whole aspect of EVs.

Macho Brace halves your pokemon's speed (literally halves it) in exchange, any pokemon you defeat will give double the EVs gained. The Macho brace DOES NOT add any attack or defense to your pokemon. It helps them grow stronger through the doubled amount of EVs they gain.

Basically, each pokemon hides certain effort values based on a certain stat. For example, a Poochyena when defeated gives 1 EV on attack. Getting effort values will help your pokemon become stronger on that certain stat. It doesn't matter what level of that pokemon is. A lvl1 Poochyena and a lvl100 Poochyena will give out the same amount of EVs when defeated.

Essentially, the Macho Brace will help you max out the stats that you HAVE TO MAX OUT in a shorter amount of time.

The more important answer for you would be? Why should you care? Well even for the non-competitive battling aspect (or in better words, NOT PVP) knowing EVs is great for your pokemon for a couple of things:

1) You get to max out the stats that your pokemon should max out, making your pokemon excel on what they are made to do. For example: Blaziken is a strong and speedy Physical Attacker with low defense. So I EV Train Blaziken on Attack and Speed by collecting the said ATK and SPEED EVs. Now, with that, should i have properly EV Trained Blaziken (since its days as a Torchic and Combusken), it should end up with really high amounts of ATTACK and SPEED to help him sweep down other pokemon without worry.

2) Battle Tower (R/S) or Battle Frontier (E) - This is pretty much the end-game aspect of Pokemon RSE. Basically this is where you put the rest of your pokeskills to the test, and Battle Tower/Frontier is pretty much known for letting the player battle things in the game beyond the difficulty of the Elite Four and Champion. Basically put, if you do not have properly EV Trained pokemon when you go to these areas, you'll either get wrecked really hard or worse. You need to have well trained Pokemon in order to win the challenges in the Battle Tower/Frontier.

3) Proper EV Training will help your pokemon defeat content at lower levels than usual. The old fashioned way for most people to clear content is to just over-level against the last gym leaders, and the Elite Four + Champion to clear the game. (For example, most people would just overlevel their pokemon to levels above the game's champion (Emerald's Wallace who's highest level pokemon is at lvl58) )

4) EV Training can be done by any player and can be done as early as your starter pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values
    That would pretty much answer all of your woes regarding EVs. I highly recommend reading that. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you read about all of this and completely understand in order to appreciate the whole aspect of EVs.

Macho Brace halves your pokemon's speed (literally halves it) in exchange, any pokemon you defeat will give double the EVs gained. The Macho brace DOES NOT add any attack or defense to your pokemon. It helps them grow stronger through the doubled amount of EVs they gain.

Basically, each pokemon hides certain effort values based on a certain stat. For example, a Poochyena when defeated gives 1 EV on attack. Getting effort values will help your pokemon become stronger on that certain stat. It doesn't matter what level of that pokemon is. A lvl1 Poochyena and a lvl100 Poochyena will give out the same amount of EVs when defeated.

Essentially, the Macho Brace will help you max out the stats that you HAVE TO MAX OUT in a shorter amount of time.

The more important answer for you would be? Why should you care? Well even for the non-competitive battling aspect (or in better words, NOT PVP) knowing EVs is great for your pokemon for a couple of things:

1) You get to max out the stats that your pokemon should max out, making your pokemon excel on what they are made to do. For example: Blaziken is a strong and speedy Physical Attacker with low defense. So I EV Train Blaziken on Attack and Speed by collecting the said ATK and SPEED EVs. Now, with that, should i have properly EV Trained Blaziken (since its days as a Torchic and Combusken), it should end up with really high amounts of ATTACK and SPEED to help him sweep down other pokemon without worry.

2) Battle Tower (R/S) or Battle Frontier (E) - This is pretty much the end-game aspect of Pokemon RSE. Basically this is where you put the rest of your pokeskills to the test, and Battle Tower/Frontier is pretty much known for letting the player battle things in the game beyond the difficulty of the Elite Four and Champion. Basically put, if you do not have properly EV Trained pokemon when you go to these areas, you'll either get wrecked really hard or worse. You need to have well trained Pokemon in order to win the challenges in the Battle Tower/Frontier.

3) Proper EV Training will help your pokemon defeat content at lower levels than usual. The old fashioned way for most people to clear content is to just over-level against the last gym leaders, and the Elite Four + Champion to clear the game. (For example, most people would just overlevel their pokemon to levels above the game's champion (Emerald's Wallace who's highest level pokemon is at lvl58) )

4) EV Training can be done by any player and can be done as early as your starter pokemon.

I'll take a look at that link. To be honest, I had a hard time following you. Once I read that link it should make more sense. Thanks for the help!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Its really difficult to follow for anyone who is reading about EVs for the first time. And I didn't explain my explanation properly.

But for you to better understand what the hell did i just say, here's what i mean:
    NFiTcSQ.png

OMG? +9 Special Attack at level up? HAX I SAY! HAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX. That's totally legit when you know how EV Training works

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    Its really difficult to follow for anyone who is reading about EVs for the first time. And I didn't explain my explanation properly.

But for you to better understand what the hell did i just say, here's what i mean:
    NFiTcSQ.png

OMG? +9 Special Attack at level up? HAX I SAY! HAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX. That's totally legit when you know how EV Training works

Ok, I explored that link. I focused mainly on the "Modern System" for Gen. III. I have a simple scenario to lay out for you, just to see if I am understanding this correctly:

1. Lets say I level up "Pokemon A" to level 50 he gains +3 to his special attack. If I were to have given him say, a Calcium (which enhances SP. ATTACK), before he entered his battle and leveled up, he would have gained 10 EVs (assuming he was not already maxed out) he would have gained +5 to his special attack, because you get 10 EVs for the Calcium divided by 4 while disregarding the remainder, would this be a correct scenario? Assuming this is the correct understanding, here are a couple questions:

- How can I tell what their effort values are before I give them vitamins?
    - Do EV levels change/reset? Like at each level? Must you hit the 255 mark to max out what you get for a certain stat?

Using vitamins for EVERY stats seems useless, since you can only have a total of 510 EVs (per level?) and you need 255 to max out a stat. So lets say if you were at 510 EVs, but only 200 for SP. ATTACK while having the max 255 in DEFENSE. If you added a Calcium (which raises SP. ATTACK) would it tell you that it is maxed out, or would it drop the 255 in defense down 10 points to accommodate for the gain in SP. ATTACK? How do you know how many EVs you start off with at every level in every stat?

I understand how you can do that in the picture you showed with the +9 in it. You probably just have to have a pokemon with a high rating in something and just EV train the shit out of it with vitamins or fighting pokemon that give high EVs in that certain stat. To that point......is there a a list somewhere with the max stat gains you can get per level with correct EV training? I assume this is VERY pokemon specific and nature probably plays a big roll.

I think I've got a grasp on it, just trying to put it all together.

Hopefully the next post DOES NOT begin with "You're completely lost, lets start over.......".

C4RN4X

Carnage Games
    Years
  • I'm a little new to EV training myself I have a question.
    So, you start EV training at Level 1, then you get the exp from killing ONLY the pokemon that raise your evs until you get your full stats, and the EVS will just fall in place when you get to level 100?
    Also, how do you know how many IV's your pokemon has?
    Another question, does breeding levels give evs?

I really want to get max stats for my Pokemon so I'm holding off at Norman to get my Pokemon into shape.

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    I'm a little new to EV training myself I have a question.
    So, you start EV training at Level 1, then you get the exp from killing ONLY the pokemon that raise your evs until you get your full stats, and the EVS will just fall in place when you get to level 100?
    Also, how do you know how many IV's your pokemon has?
    Another question, does breeding levels give evs?

I really want to get max stats for my Pokemon so I'm holding off at Norman to get my Pokemon into shape.

Thanks!

Wish I could help, man. I'm kinda holding off on playing right now until I figure h=out the proper techniques involved in EV training. I want my neutral natured Mewtwo to be as powerful as possible by using EV training.

C4RN4X

Carnage Games
    Years
  • Its all right, my emerald is unfortunately a fake game :(
    It corrupts the save after the E4, and it says "The game can be played"

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    Its all right, my emerald is unfortunately a fake game :(
    It corrupts the save after the E4, and it says "The game can be played"

Ya I've been following that other thread. You said you were new to EV training, am I on the right track with my understanding? Or would you even know? Haha.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • The macho brace ups the amounts that are acquired from EVs. EVs work in that Pokémon that are defeated in the wild and through trainers grant a certain amount. The specific amounts are exclusive to each Pokémon, for example Zubat gives 1 speed EV when it's defeated, adding 1 EV to your total EV count. Pikachu on the other hand grants 2 Speed EVs. Once defeated, your Pokémon attain these EVs no matter if you were trying to defeat the Pokémon or not (i.e. Self Destruct). Also, Pokémon wearing an experience share also gain EVs this way. Here is a list of Pokémon classified in their EV value. Hope that helped. Also, double posting tends to be frowned upon, just to be safe.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    The macho brace ups the amounts that are acquired from EVs. EVs work in that Pokémon that are defeated in the wild and through trainers grant a certain amount. The specific amounts are exclusive to each Pokémon, for example Zubat gives 1 speed EV when it's defeated, adding 1 EV to your total EV count. Pikachu on the other hand grants 2 Speed EVs. Once defeated, your Pokémon attain these EVs no matter if you were trying to defeat the Pokémon or not (i.e. Self Destruct). Also, Pokémon wearing an experience share also gain EVs this way. Here is a list of Pokémon classified in their EV value. Hope that helped. Also, double posting tends to be frowned upon, just to be safe.

Ya, that helps. I'm really just looking to figure out how they all work together because I am trying to EV train a few pokes to my liking for the first time. I understand the amounts that are given by each defeated poke, but when do you know when you have reached your EV limit in a certain stat? How do you know what the current EV standings are of all your stats? Also, does the Macho Brace up the amount of all EVs given with the exception of speed? Or just does it just up attack?

I run my own forum as well, never really got that upset about double posting. This thread was near the bottom of the page so I wanted to bump it back up. Sorry if I offended anyone.....

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • The Macho Brace doubles the EVs a Pokémon receives in battle, but halves it's speed stat making it move slower than usual. On the question of how the EV stats are, there is a specific person (usually) in each of the games that will tell you if they've 'trained a lot' but other than that it's good old pen and paper.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    The Macho Brace doubles the EVs a Pokémon receives in battle, but halves it's speed stat making it move slower than usual. On the question of how the EV stats are, there is a specific person (usually) in each of the games that will tell you if they've 'trained a lot' but other than that it's good old pen and paper.

I'm a pen and paper type of guy so that will work well! But, what happens if a poke has already maxed out his EVs? can you still add more to another stat at the expense of another? Or once they max out do they just stay where they're at?

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • There are a total of 510 available EVs that your Pokémon can acrue. Once it reaches this point EVs are no longer acquired. However, through the use of Berries and other items it is possible to reset or reduce EVs in a stat so that a Pokémon can begin training anew.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2015
    There are a total of 510 available EVs that your Pokémon can acrue. Once it reaches this point EVs are no longer acquired. However, through the use of Berries and other items it is possible to reset or reduce EVs in a stat so that a Pokémon can begin training anew.

Awesome, that is exactly what I needed! Do all wild pokes start at zero?

Back