• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen IV - Pokemon Essentials VS ROM-Hacking

Akar

Does this title even show?
Years
  • Pokemon Essentials VS ROM-Hacking
    For Gen-IV Games

Dipping my toes into the waters of Pokemon game development, I could not help but notice the lack of resources that are available for Gen IV-type games.

From what I understand, creating a ROM-Hack that goes beyond GBA-standards seems to be a rather tedious task because proper tools for hacking and modifying contents of the NDS games are few and, to some extent, unreliable.

Having mentioned that, I am tempted to gravitate towards using Pokemon Essentials for the RPG-Maker XP, but I cannot shake off my doubts about this option either.
    What makes me hesitate in particular, is that I have yet to see truly impressive results from PE projects. The toolset that it provides seems to cater to the needs of a Gen-III-look and, from what I've seen, makes it hard to implement higher quality assets, let alone 3D-assets.

After fiddling around with both options, I have still not come to a convincing conclusion.
    This is why I seek your advice, oh wise spirits of PokeCommunity!

• Gen-IV Graphics
    • World-Creation from scratch
    • Extensive Map- and Script-Editing
    • Implementation of new Pokemon (both, next-Gen and Fake)
    • High Customizability in general

Something I should probably mention is that I would personally prefer going the extra mile for higher quality, which is why I am not ruling out ROM-Hacking for a massive project like this.

On that regard, I have a few questions I would like answered:

I have heard good and bad things about PPRE and other tools, but they all offer very limited possibilities for Scripting and such. However, something that looks promising is SDSME.
    Has anyone had any experience with it and knows about its capabilities?

How, if at all, can Gen-IV assets be transfered to RPGMXP optimally?

Are there any other Tools for ROM-Hacking that are worth mentioning for Gen-IV games?

And most importantly:
    Which of the two (Pokemon Essentials or ROM-Hacking tools) would you recommend to achieve the best possible quality for a game?

All sort of advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

On a side-note: I do hope I posted this into the appropriate section of the forums. xD

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    *waves* Hello!

Unfortunately, the answer is the same for both options available. It can be done, if you have patience and know about your platform. Many experienced ASM-hackers have been able to replicate Gen IV mechanics (SO MANY) and it's definitely possible to initiate your own, if you can use assembly and understand the data within the ROM you're hacking.

Gen-IV Graphics
    Hacking PE - Both require you to insert the necessary tiles/tilesets. It is easier to do this in a Game Editor than on a ROM.​
    World-Creation from scratch
    Hacking PE - Complete world building is available in both.​
    Extensive Map- and Script-Editing
    Hacking PE - Able to do in both, again it is probably easier in a Game Editor.​
    Implementation of new Pokemon (both, next-Gen and Fake)
    Hacking PE - This has been streamlined into a simple task in ROM hacking now, again, available on both media.​
    High Customizability in general
    Hacking PE

Basically, if you have access to a Game Maker of some sort (you'll have to ask over there what's best, I'm afraid) then it'll probably be easier to make your game. ROM Hacking can do most of what PE can do, however it is eventually limited by space and coding (it can also become a bit of a minefield if you aren't organised and keeping track of offsets, flags, variables, routines, etc.). Only possible advantage of hacking would be the large userbase available for support (and the fact that every tweak feels like a triumph!).

Good luck working out what is best for you~

Dionen

deprived of sleep
    Years
  • Honestly, one of the few things that keeps me using Rom-Hack instead of RPG Maker is that I don't know anything about scripting in RPG Maker. Most of the things are easier to do with Pokemon Essentials, and they provide a better result, but the idea of learning it from zero kinda bothers me. If you are learning everything from 0, I suggest RPGMaker.
    But hey: Rom Hacking has much more adepts here, and you have a lot of tools and people to help you. If you rely on people and feedback as much as I do, Rom-Hacking may be a better choice.

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Now the only thing I can think that may keep your from romhacking, is that its much harder to get a perfect ds feel to it. afaik gen 4 and 5 hacking still hasnt really gotten to much made for it. And making a gen 3 game look like gen 4 and 5 is possible its a pain in the butt, due to the limits to pallets and tileset sizes. But it can be done.

Akar

Does this title even show?
    Years
  • Is there any way to use 3D models (for evironments, ie houses, trees, etc.) in Pokemon Essentials?
    I know you can make 2D versions of those models, but that would be destroying the point of it in my opinion.

Without that, I don't believe Pokemon Essentials can ever truly replicate convincing NDS graphics.

On that note, has anyone tried using Unity with its new 2D-Toolset to create a Pokemon game?

Ishra Takami

God of Blood and Darkness
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2016
    I suggest pokemon essentials. With Rom hacking you are limited to the limitations of the Rom. With pokemon essentials you can program anything you want and have as many pokemon as you want. Pokemon zeta and omicrom had 3d battle graphics and it was made with pokemon essentials. Why don't you remake pokemon Light Platinum with pokemon essentials.

Back