• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vibrava Isn't a Bug-type?!

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
  • Are there any Pokémon you think should have typings that they don't have? What about Pokémon you think shouldn't have the typings they already have?

Honestly, imo, I don't understand why most Water-type Pokémon are Water-types to begin with. Just because they live in water, they're Water-types by default? Sure, they learn Water-type moves but...

If we were to follow this logic, then lots of Pokémon would change into the Ground-type, even with their lack of Ground-type abilities.

There's lots more, but I don't know where to begin with.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I thought Psyduck and Golduck were psychic types O_o
    And I agree, the normal type on flying pokemon is just making them weaker to fighting type moves.

Adam Levine

Years
  • Flabébé, Floette, and Comfey kinda don't deserve a Fairy/Grass typing, as they only carry plants around them...but Florges...I can't explain that.

Also, never really understood Shuckle being Bug, or Pokémon like Marill, Dedenne, and Mawile being Fairy. If you're gonna say because they belong in the Fairy Egg Group, Pikachu should've been a Fairy as well.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • There are a good few Pokemon that I've questioned why they don't have a certain typing. Some of the main ones that I think should be changed are:

Gyarados - Water/Dragon
    Luxio and Luxray - Electric/Dark
    Flabébé, Floette and Florges - Grass/Fairy
    Noctowl - Flying/Psychic
    Yanmega - Flying/Dragon

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Some pokemon I'd like to have three types (: such as Flygon; it's clearly a bug dragon with ground moves.

Adam Levine

Years
  • As much as I love Sneasel, I don't understand why it's an Ice-type. Also, the Smoochum and Swinub lines, Delibird, and some more Ice-types. It might be because they can adapt to cold climates well, but I just don't find that convincing.

Adam Levine

Years
  • Even though I'm kind of starting to understand why these days, it used to confused me so much how Granbull is a Fairy type.

It used to? Just asking.

Anyway, Volbeat and Illumise seem like worthy Bug/Fairy-types, and the Budew line should be Grass/Fairy, though I understand that roses can be poisonous.

Also, it kinda ticks me off that the lake trio and Cresselia aren't at least part Fairy.

Years
  • Even though I'm kind of starting to understand why these days, it used to confused me so much how Granbull is a Fairy type.

This used to baffle me as well, but I feel that I now understand why Snubbull and Granbull are Fairy-types, part of the Fairy egg group and are called the "Fairy Pokemon", and that's because they are based on a creature in Celtic mythology called the Cù Sìth whose name literally means "dog fairy".

Years
  • Also, I've kinda wondered why the Flabébé line isn't Fairy/Grass. o.o

For sure. I still always forget they're not part grass and use fire moves thinking they'd be effective. x'D

Gyarados being Flying type instead of Dragon type

iirc this was done because with that type combo Gyarados would have had no weaknesses in gen I games (there were no damaging dragon moves in RBY since Dragon Rage did fixed damage) on top of its very high offensive stats and being bulky all around. It would've been too strong. Dragons (and now fairies) are a lot more accessible in newer games though but I suppose I can still see why it was left with that type combination.

Adam Levine

Years
  • Also... I kinda have a question here. Don't you guys think Celebi should've been the first Fairy types? I guess it's kinda hard to figure out what type it should drop for it. Obviously not Grass, because it's a forest guardian, but I dunno, maybe Psychic? It just looks so Fairy like to me. ;_;

Agreed.

Also, because Mew is the first Pokémon to evolutionarily exist, shouldn't it be a Normal-type? Being a Psychic-type makes it far from plausible.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I thought Noctowl was a Psychic type for like, the longest time years ago. ._.

Thank the lord I wasn't the only one. I think Psyduck and Golduck also fit in this category. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they did make Chansey/Blissey Fairy-types in the upcoming games though.

Adam Levine

Years
  • iirc this was done because with that type combo Gyarados would have had no weaknesses in gen I games (there were no damaging dragon moves in RBY since Dragon Rage did fixed damage) on top of its very high offensive stats and being bulky all around. It would've been too strong. Dragons (and now fairies) are a lot more accessible in newer games though but I suppose I can still see why it was left with that type combination.

THIS NEEDS TO BE SHARED ACROSS ALL POKÉMON MEDIA.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Mega Blastoise: Water/Steel
    Arbok: Poison/Dark
    Ninetales: Fire/Ghost
    Venomoth: Bug/Psychic
    Psyduck and Golduck: Water/Psychic
    Rapidash: Fire/Fairy
    Drowzee and Hypno: Psychic/Dark or Psychic/Poison
    Koffing and Weezing: Poison/Fire
    Electabuzz and Electivire: Electric/Fighting
    Magmar and Magmortar: Fire/Fighting or Fire/Psychic
    Gyarados: Water/Dragon or Water/Dark
    The Porygon line: Normal/Electric or Normal/Psychic
    Meganium and Serperior: Grass/Dragon
    Typhlosion: Fire/Ground
    Feraligatr: Water/Dark
    Noctowl: Psychic/Flying
    Bellossom, Petilil, and Lilligant: Grass/Fairy
    Bonsly and Sudowoodo: Rock/Grass
    Sunflora: Grass/Fire
    Misdreavus and Mismagius: Ghost/Fairy
    Dunsparce: Normal/Ground or Normal/Dragon
    Granbull: Fairy/Dark
    Octillery: Water/Fire
    Stantler: Normal/Psychic
    Masquerain: Bug/Water
    Slaking: Normal/Ground or Normal/Fighting
    Volbeat and Illumise: Bug/Electric or Bug/Fairy
    Zangoose: Normal/Fighting or Normal/Dark
    Seviper: Dark/Poison
    Mega Absol: Dark/Fairy
    (Mega) Glalie: Ice/Rock or Ice/Dark
    Staraptor and Braviary: Fighting/Flying
    Luxray: Electric/Dark
    Yanmega: Bug/Dragon
    Cresselia: Psychic/Fairy
    Darkrai: Dark/Ghost
    Pignite and Emboar: Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground
    Dewott and Samurott: Water/Fighting
    Cofagrigus: Ghost/Steel
    The Gothita line: Psychic/Dark
    Elgyem and Beheeyem: Psychic/Electric
    Beartic: Ice/Fighting
    Cryogonal: Ice/Steel
    Accelgor: Bug/Dark
    Druddigon: Dragon/Rock
    The Flabébé line and Xerneas: Fairy/Grass
    Aromatisse: Fairy/Poison
    Heliolisk: Electric/Dragon
    The Goomy line: Dragon/Poison

Sirfetch’d

I thought Noctowl was a Psychic type for like, the longest time years ago. ._.

I thought so too and I really blame the anime! The same thing could be said about the Psyduck line. Maybe we'll get an Alolan Golduck that is part Psychic to make up for this :<

Back