• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Flash Fiction Week #8

Bay

Years
  • Bay here, taking over the Flash Fiction Challenges now!

Welcome to the flash fiction challenge! If you want to write, but don't have any ideas or need a break from your current one, then this is the place for you. Flash fiction is where you write a very short story about a prompt that someone gives out. That's it, you're done. Well, you have to post it, but that shouldn't be a problem. There will be a new flash fiction thread posted every week with a new prompt. You don't have to participate every week if you don't like the prompt or just don't have the time, so feel free to come and go as you please. Now that we have the basic concept down, let's go over a few ground rules:

• The story must have something to do with the prompt.
    • The recommended amount of length is anywhere between 100-1,000 words. However, since this is more of a challenge, it's not mandatory.
    • You may submit more than one entry per week.
    • There's not a limit on what the story can be about. Pokemon fan fiction, nonfiction, other fan fiction, original fiction, and poetry is all fair game, as long as it relates back to the prompt.
    • Once the story is complete, post it in the main section with a link to it here.
    • Each thread will stay open after the next thread has already been posted, so feel free to still write about earlier prompts.
    • Have fun with it! This is a really casual challenge, so don't stress about the small stuff.

Alright, I think that covers it. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave a comment below. Without further ado, here's the prompt for the week:
    Spoiler:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Since it's related to my entry for this ff, I'm going to ask this and see if I can't get some feedback maybe.

Would you say having a soul and having a sense of self would be one in the same? If an omnipotent being was tearing from itself qualities that would define life and the things which reside in it, do you think soul and self would be separate concepts?

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
  • Since it's related to my entry for this ff, I'm going to ask this and see if I can't get some feedback maybe.

Would you say having a soul and having a sense of self would be one in the same? If an omnipotent being was tearing from itself qualities that would define life and the things which reside in it, do you think soul and self would be separate concepts?

Honestly, it matters only what is the philosophy they have, if they have none in particular, then what does their culture think? Generally, people tend to base their ideas and concepts on what they are brought up with. For example, I grew up with the principle that all adverts are malicious that give viruses, and therefore I don't fall/get roped in to adverts, although this applied more to Internet Adverts, so TV ones obviously have effect. Apologies for trailing off, but what I am trying to say is that, Self-conciousness(or being aware of self, or is sentient) is an idea formed in place of the Christian/religious idea of a soul. As humans we have only just began to accept that the brain is you. In truth, what makes us live, with the amount of interaction of we do with our bodies, if you don't mind a religious bend, asking what actually links us from the spirit world to the mortal world/our bodies. That is a great philosphical question. So in short, a soul would be considered a religious version of sentience. Animals are not sentience, they live and they know how to live, but sentience is knowing that we are alive and with that comes literature, science and lots of other things.

It becomes tricky when you apply this to an omnipotent being, because it depends what it is, is a human turned omnipotent? It depends on the canon and the character. But if applied to a human, or as a general rule a soul is a different way of saying self. Unless you mean self in meaning their body, in which in that case they would be different.

Sorry for delving in to Philosophy and such, I think this conversation would be better placed in the roleplay Chit-Chat thread

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Honestly, it matters only what is the philosophy they have, if they have none in particular, then what does their culture think? Generally, people tend to base their ideas and concepts on what they are brought up with. For example, I grew up with the principle that all adverts are malicious that give viruses, and therefore I don't fall/get roped in to adverts, although this applied more to Internet Adverts, so TV ones obviously have effect. Apologies for trailing off, but what I am trying to say is that, Self-conciousness(or being aware of self, or is sentient) is an idea formed in place of the Christian/religious idea of a soul. As humans we have only just began to accept that the brain is you. In truth, what makes us live, with the amount of interaction of we do with our bodies, if you don't mind a religious bend, asking what actually links us from the spirit world to the mortal world/our bodies. That is a great philosphical question. So in short, a soul would be considered a religious version of sentience. Animals are not sentience, they live and they know how to live, but sentience is knowing that we are alive and with that comes literature, science and lots of other things.

It becomes tricky when you apply this to an omnipotent being, because it depends what it is, is a human turned omnipotent? It depends on the canon and the character. But if applied to a human, or as a general rule a soul is a different way of saying self. Unless you mean self in meaning their body, in which in that case they would be different.

Sorry for delving in to Philosophy and such, I think this conversation would be better placed in the roleplay lounge.

It helped a lot I appreciate it :) It's an omnipotent being sort of like the christian god, but a good deal different really only taking from it that it is omnipotent and omnipresent and has always existed. I was thinking that a soul and self would be quite a bit similar, but I wasn't too sure about if they could be one or warranted separate personifications. I was pretty on the fence but yeah, you helped. :) I was thinking that the soul would be what really gives something life, but self is what gives it personality.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Spoiler:

o.o I've read the thread before any posts were posted here... I could have sworn that this week's prompt was 'Useless.'

Tsk... Aw well. I better revise this chapter of mine then...

---

edit: Couldn't revise it. My brain's dry now. xD But I at least managed to add the prompt in the chapter. :3

Last edited:
    Back