• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: USER subscriptions?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
We all have posters we enjoy reading posts made by. Thought it'd be cool to somehow be notified when someone we really enjoy posting posts somewhere. We can subscribe to them!!! We'd have an extra tab of subscriptions available with all of our subscriptions next to notifications and messages with forum subscriptions, thread subscriptions, and now user subscriptions. It'd show up sort of like a feed. "King Goodra replied to ______" with a link to the post directly. You'd have to have them as a friend/contact in order to subscribe to their posts.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm not sure this would be a healthy addition. It promotes the wrong kind of atmosphere, and I'm not sure I want to see stalking being made any more convenient than it is. Which in itself brings about its own issue, there are users out there who don't know much about respecting boundaries. Who feel that if others people don't reply to them, yet post as normal; they are being ignored. I've seen it time and time again where users really get unhealthily attached to others users and I feel that this addition might actually become more like a breach of privacy than anything.

There is also the whole idea that we want to promote ourselves as a community, I think that if groups or small cliques of users start just following one another's posts, PC could become too internalised and introverted within said groups. I think a feature like this promotes the atmosphere that "I only care about what XYZ users have to say, so I'm just going to subscribe to them." As opposed to actually being more well-rounded and organically coming across posts you enjoy.

I for one, wouldn't be too comfortable with members following everything I say either. You can do it by going to one's profile, yes, but this addition makes me feel uncomfortable for all the reasons I stated above, and I feel it would cause a shift away from the desired community spirit we want here.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Considering the above concerns, I think it's worth allowing for community supporters, at least. It seems to be the demographic more 'able to handle things'.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
To be perfectly blunt, I'd be really creeped out if users were following every single post I made. I would feel like I would be under constant scrutiny to say the right thing and just the fact that it's sort of stalkerish really irks me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I'm not sure this would be a healthy addition. It promotes the wrong kind of atmosphere, and I'm not sure I want to see stalking being made any more convenient than it is. Which in itself brings about its own issue, there are users out there who don't know much about respecting boundaries. Who feel that if others people don't reply to them, yet post as normal; they are being ignored. I've seen it time and time again where users really get unhealthily attached to others users and I feel that this addition might actually become more like a breach of privacy than anything.

There is also the whole idea that we want to promote ourselves as a community, I think that if groups or small cliques of users start just following one another's posts, PC could become too internalised and introverted within said groups. I think a feature like this promotes the atmosphere that "I only care about what XYZ users have to say, so I'm just going to subscribe to them." As opposed to actually being more well-rounded and organically coming across posts you enjoy.

I for one, wouldn't be too comfortable with members following everything I say either. You can do it by going to one's profile, yes, but this addition makes me feel uncomfortable for all the reasons I stated above, and I feel it would cause a shift away from the desired community spirit we want here.
I see where you're coming from, but I mentioned that you'd have to have them as a friend/contact in order to subscribe to their posts. And if you're friends with someone on here, would that necessarily apply to the stalking factor you're concerned about? I mean, don't get me wrong. That's something that would freak me out too, but in a way, this is no different than following someone on Tumblr, or Twitter, or even Facebook. It'd be completely limited to those you approve, since you have to approve them in order for them to be considered a friend on here.

I just thought this would be an easier way to keep up to date on your friends. And in other ways, it'd be helpful to nurture discussion because friends generally share similar interests, and if you see a friend has replied to a thread that peaks your interest that you otherwise wouldn't have seen, it could boost activity in that thread after he/she notices it in their friend feed and contributes to it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
You see, I get that this suits sites like Facebook and tumblr, which are about your friends primarily. Along with the occasional chosen content you follow. However while sites like that are about primarily interacting with your friends, PC is about interacting with the community. You've been here for a while, same as myself, so you could say we're probably going to be less outgoing than when we joined. However in promoting community spirit, I think that this is a method of pushing that endeavor backwards.

My main point being that again, that feature suits sites like Facebook/tumblr/Twitter; but PC just serves another purpose. So that, tied with my reasoning in previous posts, I personally wouldn't opt for the idea.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Is there a toggle option that could be used? iirc the admins don't particularly like having toggle options for everything, but if someone doesn't mind being 'stalked', then the option to be subscribed to would be good.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
for the love of god no more toggles. They create inconsistency and confusion through how people use the forum and we are already absolutely drowning in them, with a lot of them nonfunctional. On principal I'm at the point where I automatically disagree with toggles on the basis that they contribute to our already obfuscated design for user customisation.

also on the topic of this specifically, a toggle doesn't do much to deter the issues that Gavin is suggesting. it pretty much gives someone the option to prevent anyone from "subscribing" to them when the actual problem is with certain individuals who push privacy boundaries.

...not that it counts for much atm but $0.02 8D

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
are we not reading a bit too much into a subscribe option by labeling it as potential stalk fodder? I mean, seeing that someone has made a new post or thread somewhere is... absolutely nothing. You would see said threads and posts anyway, this would just happen to expedite that, which can be convenient for friends or for those that like to see people that normally post clever stuff right away.

idk, seems perfectly fine to me

Years
are we not reading a bit too much into a subscribe option by labeling it as potential stalk fodder? I mean, seeing that someone has made a new post or thread somewhere is... absolutely nothing. You would see said threads and posts anyway, this would just happen to expedite that, which can be convenient for friends or for those that like to see people that normally post clever stuff right away.

idk, seems perfectly fine to me

In the same vain and somewhat-related, but to a lesser degree, couldn't we have a method where if you mentioned a user in a post that they'd get a notification? Sorry if this has been brought up before.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years

In the same vain and somewhat-related, but to a lesser degree, couldn't we have a method where if you mentioned a user in a post that they'd get a notification? Sorry if this has been brought up before.

No worries, you just came back from a long hiatus so how would you know? (:

What you mentioned is something that has been mentioned in the past and will be implemented if the coding is possible. Overall that feature idea has been a hot topic in terms of wanting it and I believe it's something we will be working towards in the future.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I can see this being annoying, and mostly unused. I can imagine if someone has a big huge conversation in the TT DCC, I'm talking 20+ posts overnight. Anyone subscribed to that person would then have 20+ notifications, that they'll probably just ignore anyway. We would obviously have to turn it off for FGAT.

I don't think it would hurt, but I think that after a while, the feature would be widely ignored. I guess I just don't see what's so hard about looking at a users recent posts through their profile, but I'm incredibly indifferent either way -w-

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
for the love of god no more toggles. They create inconsistency and confusion through how people use the forum and we are already absolutely drowning in them, with a lot of them nonfunctional. On principal I'm at the point where I automatically disagree with toggles on the basis that they contribute to our already obfuscated design for user customisation.
Those are what I like about TPC — one's experience isn't required to change with the times.
Are y'all doing anything about the ones that don't work?

also on the topic of this specifically, a toggle doesn't do much to deter the issues that Gavin is suggesting. it pretty much gives someone the option to prevent anyone from "subscribing" to them when the actual problem is with certain individuals who push privacy boundaries.
Possible solution: people on your ignore list can't subscribe to you.

Back