• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Regions in the Future

Years
  • Hi all

So I was holidaying up north of Australia to get away from the wintry south and it struck me. Australia would make a great place to base a new region off of. It's such a diverse place. Deserts, tropics, mountains, snow, reefs, plains. Everything a good region needs! I then went on to think about the Pokemon that could be found in the region. First route rodent being a normal/fighting kangaroo, a route one bird based off the numerous colourful lorikeets, a psychic type koala (which I figured would be a tank learning rest, sleep talk, slack off, hypnosis, recover), then the amount of Aboriginal Mythology could form a basis for some amazing Pokemon like a pseudo-legendary based of the Bunyip. Fossil Pokemon based off the Cassowary (yeah they're alive still but still frightening birds). Yeah!

What I want to know is:

Where would you think a new region could be based off in the future and why?

*mods - didn't really know where to put this so feel free to move if necessary

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    That's funny, going just by your thread title alone the first location that popped into my head as a great Pokémon region was Australia. I think that would be really cool, honestly. Something else that would be cool (at least to me) would be if they picked one of France's surrounding countries (I think Italy would be super sweet to see, personally) and based a region off that, then connected it to Kalos and made it similar to Gold and Silver, how you could go back to Kalos after you beat the other region. I dunno, just a little concept.

Years
  • This is a topic that has been discussed a few times since what was said in the XY Strategy Guide, but these are some good ideas that I would like to see a region based off of.

However I think this would go to Pokémon Gaming Central.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    That's funny, going just by your thread title alone the first location that popped into my head as a great Pokémon region was Australia. I think that would be really cool, honestly. Something else that would be cool (at least to me) would be if they picked one of France's surrounding countries (I think Italy would be super sweet to see, personally) and based a region off that, then connected it to Kalos and made it similar to Gold and Silver, how you could go back to Kalos after you beat the other region. I dunno, just a little concept.

That would actually be pretty cool, a region based on Italy. They can't really do it now though, because X/Y is already finished, but it'd be really wonderful to see it in a future game.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    However I think this would go to Pokémon Gaming Central.
    And there I shall move it.

Moves.

I'm all for basing Pokemon regions off of other countries besides Japan. It was nice that Unova and Kalos were based off of New York and France.

....And what the hell is a lorikeet?

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • A region based off of Australia would be awesome!
    Maybe there could be a pokemon similar to Cubone & Marowak, which is
    a boomerang-weilding tasmian tiger. (Wonder if anyone gets this reference?)
    & what's a "bunyip"?

What I wonder is:
    What would it's name be?
    How do they decide the names of regions?
    Are they named for real Japanense places?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Maybe there could be a pokemon similar to Cubone & Marowak, which is
    a boomerang-weilding tasmian tiger. (Wonder if anyone gets this reference?)
    Ya know, this sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't remember the name at all....

How do they decide the names of regions?
    Are they named for real Japanense places?
    Some of the regions are based off of regions in Japan. Kanto is a part of Japan, whereas Johto and Hoenn are based off of Kansai and Kyushu, iirc. Dunno about Sinnoh.

Racket

The TCG Professor
    Years
  • Austrailia and the surrounding islands would make a cool theme (considering the latest games seems fairly "high tech city" kind of style).

If Canada were ever done, I'd think it would be focused more on the history of it. I can imagine an adventure in an unexplored region (for a change) where everyone is still setting up. Though it would be harder to be politically correct about the regions natives. I could vaugly imagine the story being a little like pocahontas.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have to second those that say Canada; seeing a region based off it would indeed be pretty sweet!

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2014
    I completely agree a Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania region
    would be interesting but the one i want to see would be based on the
    gulf region of America . Also one based in India would also be pretty cool.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I don't really care what real life place the regions are based off of, I just want some new scenery or new formulas. Like, what about a completely mountainous region? Or one that's covered in snow because that's how the weather is like there all the time? I just don't want any more Urban-type regions, because then Gamefreak doesn't really know how to input their "obligatory snow/desert/forest areas" for the sake of it and they seem badly placed.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Or one that's covered in snow because that's how the weather is like there all the time?

That would be pretty nice! Though, I'd imagine it to get a little boring for some people, as they might get tired of seeing the same condition repeatedly. Personally, I wouldn't exactly be bothered, so long as they still keep something in each location to distinct themselves from each other.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • As usually the case with such threads, I agree that a region based on Australia would be neat (does help that I live there though =p). But they'd probably want to ignore the large middle part which is desert to some extent... Of course, they're not 100% accurate to the physical, real-life basis for regions too.
    ....And what the hell is a lorikeet?
    A parrot seen in Australia. I see them by my house in fact, even hand fed them a couple times. =)
    & what's a "bunyip"?
    A mythical Australian creature that lives in lakes or the like. Not a bad idea in fact for an Australian Pokemon imo!

Other australian pokemon would have to include koalas, possums, snakes and spiders (of course), there's a good deal of birds to use as a basis, probably a few aboriginal stories for mythical creatures, and also a bunch of water creatures as well.

Years
  • I would really like to see the UK.
    However I would be happy with somewhere else in Europe, The Republic of Korea would be pretty cool too, I would also be happy with a return to Japan(The cities would look epic in full 3D :))

Back