• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Flash (Version)

Low Lines

Graphical Artist/Programmer
Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    For further reading read Flash-Based Pokemon RPG
    Located at: The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
    (I can't link to it yet since I haven't made enough posts =[)

Right, for starters this is a Pokemon RPG game made entirely in Flash (hence the naming choice), which is currently using resources from Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen and some (but very few) resources from Diamond/Pearl.

It's a project I do for fun and currently spend most of my free time doing =p

Currently in terms of storyline/plot I am mostly looking at mimicing the original games, but maybe extending the plots a little...maybe use some references from movies/anime etc

An example (in the Kanto storyline) would be having Team Rocket attempt to capture Mewtwo in similar fashion to the Hoenn games and their legendaries, but it would be different to the anime in that there would be no anime characters (aside from Giovanni) involved, like how Mew has a different sort of background in the game as to the anime if people are following with me?

I'm keen to hear if anyone has any other suggestions for Kanto based storyline additions that I could look at adding when I reach that point in the project.

Note: I'll be doing the same thing with each new region as I get up to them but since there's enough stuff to do with just Kanto I'll worry about them later =p

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    For further reading read Flash-Based Pokemon RPG
    Located at: The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
    (I can't link to it yet since I haven't made enough posts =[)

Right, for starters this is a Pokemon RPG game made entirely in Flash (hence the naming choice Aww, you had me hoping for a second that you were going to have something to do with light in it...but, hey, this is a pretty good alternative to all of the losers and their cracked RMXPs.), which is currently using resources from Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen and some (but very few) resources from Diamond/Pearl.

It's a project I do for fun *claps* and currently spend most of my free time doing =p

Currently in terms of storyline/plot I am mostly looking at mimicing the original games, but maybe extending the plots a little For real elegancy, extend the plots a lot......maybe use some references from movies/anime etc Like added towns? The anime has some gorgeous locations that, due to lack of a Gym, didn't get into the games...the first one to come to mind is White Stone in Johto. As far as Kanto goes, you could fly with Stone Town or Porta Vista (which could serve as a generic port city...kinda obvious). A more wholesome Kanto map would carry with it no graniose story but much potential for eccentric characters and plenty of places to explore...

An example (in the Kanto storyline) would be having Team Rocket So this happens after the events of RBYFRLG or as a spin-off? attempt to capture Mewtwo in similar fashion to the Hoenn games and their legendaries, but it would be different to the anime in that there would be no anime characters (aside from Giovanni) involved, like how Mew has a different sort of background in the game as to the anime You sure Mew's background isn't similar? I'm not; I'd have to check the notebooks because they make talk about Mew, too (and Mewtwo *shot*)... if people are following with me? I'm half-following you because Mewtwo IS referenced in the game continuity (unless you're breaking from that, also)...for example, the notebook excerpts (or whatever they are) in the burnt building on Cinnabar have the general topic of Mewtwo, IIRC. Is that building the one where Mewtwo was created at?

I'm keen to hear if anyone has any other suggestions for Kanto based storyline additions You mean, like, 'side quests'? that I could look at adding when I reach that point in the project.

Note: I'll be doing the same thing with each new region as I get up to them You're making this all-inclusive? Uh-huh...if that's the case, will the story somehow extend to the other regions and gameplay not get repetative? but since there's enough stuff to do with just Kanto I'll worry about them later [/ambiguity] =p
    From the other thread because I can... said:
    I don't want a format that's easily hackable outside of my game though -_-
    Yanno, the normal pkmn games are hackable, so why do you care if yours is? If anyone has the intelligence or free time to mess with the save file, then let them...and refer to the bolds on the first quote.

Low Lines

Graphical Artist/Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Wells with the regions thing, when you start a new game you get to pick which region to start in and the storyline will be based from that region, this choice would then affect the other regions that become accessible later on, like GSC where Kanto has changed (noteably trainers are stronger for instance).

I'd definitely look at adding new areas to the region, though probably not significant ones. Like each area would have a particular purpose (rare pokemon, item).

The Mewtwo idea, (just off my head right now) could be added in after Team Rocket take over Silph Co. (meaning Giovanni is after the Masterball to catch Mewtwo or something), and perhaps he manages to take the Masterball and then this would lead onto a new area (maybe an island?) where Mewtwo is said to be. You catch up with Giovanni and battle him and see Mewtwo run off the island. That way you can later go catch Mewtwo (after beating the Elite Four) in the Cerulean Cave as normal.

Mew could be a Kanto side quest too, which would be like the Emerald Quest, but perhaps you could be taken to the island to help an Explorer who's in search of Mew, but after doing a bit of exploring on the island you find evidence which seems to suggest Mew is long gone, so the Explorer leaves (a little disappointed), but your quest continues on as there could be a hidden path that leads deeper into the island where Mew is.

Basically just making it a little more interesting by putting a bit of a story behind it instead of just having a Pokemon here or there.

These are just ideas too by the way =p

Ohs and with Mewtwo, if you look it up on Bulbapedia, basically Mewtwo's origins differ in the game opposed to the anime, mostly whom created Mewtwo and where Mewtwo was created.

But yeah, I suppose side quest suggestions would be good!! But ideally for now, I want to focus on Kanto (and the original 151 Pokemon).

I have a heap of ideas and things I want to add to make the game work better, but rather than just throw around my ideas, I'll wait until I have them implemented and add screenshots before talking about them.

[edit]

One thought I just had, with side quests, say like you complete the region to a point where you are close to gaining access to another region, side quests will start popping up that will feature Pokemon from that region (I suppose supporting the main storyline perhaps) like in the Anime. And then once you complete these quests the Prof. of that region will give you a ticket (boat/train etc) so you can go to the other region to "discover" these new Pokemon and take on the gyms etc. Just a thought.

Last edited:
    Back