• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Legacylocke

TheBringerOfLife

TheReviver
Years
  • The Legacylocke

Hello.
    After a few (like two) months of tweaking and testing I've gone ahead and confirmed that this, quite ambitious and expansive challenge is possible and also, fun.

An overview:​

Imagine, for a moment, if the Pokemon games had a theatric story or campaign, sort of like an RPG or a FPS.
    Imagine now, that you're one of the protagonists.

The Legacylocke will attempt to simulate this feeling in the Pokemon universe. This is no normal challenge. This challenge expands over many Pokemon games, and has a lot of little ins and outs in which I will explain.

The traits that make this challenge different are as follows:
    In The Legacylocke, you play a normal trainer who comes after the main game's trainer. I.E when you play Fire Red or Leaf Green, you are not playing Red. Rather, you are playing you.
    As the Legacy continues, you will play in other regions as your character's son or daughter.
    As the son or daughter of your previous character, you will inherit things from them as the game progresses. These things are usually Pokemon and money.

Rules

Normal Nuzlocke Rules apply, these are the following:
    1) You may only catch the first Pokemon of each route.
    2) If a Pokemon faints, it has perished and can no longer be used.
    3) You must name every single Pokemon you catch.

The Legacylocke has it's own set of rules to go alongside of these. These are as follows:
    1) You are locked into the first six Pokemon you catch. You must continue to use them.
    2) You may only replace any of the first six you catch if every Pokemon you catch besides your Starter dies.
    3) After your first Legacylocke game, your child character will start to inherit your first character's things. They are as follows:

After your second gym, you inherit your parent's weakest Pokemon.
    After your third gym, you inherit 25% of your parent's money.
    After your fourth gym, you inherit your parent's second weakest Pokemon.
    After your fifth gym, you inherit 25% of your parent's money.
    After your sixth gym, you inherit your parent's third weakest Pokemon.
    After your seventh gym, you inherit 25% of your parent's money
    After your eighth gym, you inherit 25% of your parent's money.

The Legacylocke has a specific clause that is implemented to make the challenge a bit less merciless. It is as follows:
    1) The Legacylocke Revive Clause: Being that your legacy can stretch for a very long time, and it can be very challenging at times, you are allowed to carry a single revive on you at any given time. This does not come without it's catches, though. You can only use revives you find off the ground, and you cannot use more than two in any given game.

The Legacylocke also has a specific clause that is implemented to balance this clause, as it can be too much of a lifesaver at times, and can foster reckless behaviour. It is as follows:
    1) The Legacylocke Critical clause states that if any Pokemon is killed by a critical hit or a One Hit KO, it is gone, and cannot be recovered at all. This will (hopefully) make you less reliant on those revives.

Some Mainstream clauses are allowed. Some are not. They are as follows:
    The Trading Clause is on in minimal effect. You can only trade to evolve a Pokemon that requires a trade.
    The Shiny Clause, the clause that states that if you find a shiny you can catch it regardless, is off. Appearance means nothing in a challenge like this.
    The Species Clause, stating that if the first Pokemon you see on two different routes are the same species, you may have another chance if you already are in possession of it, is on.
    The Blackout Clause, stating that any and all blackouts after you obtain your first Pokeball counts as a gameover, is on.
    There is no such thing as a "Bullshit Clause."

Being that you come after the series main protagonist, any canonical catches that supposedly only one exists of, I.E Articuno, are completely banned from being used. Technically, as the main series protagonist has already caught them, you can't.

Timeline (Which is subject to change if the participants wish, as we can use sidegames and/or Romhacks to supplement the Legacy. Democracy rules.

FR/LG-R/S-D/P-HG/SS-B/W-B2/W2-X/Y-OR/AS.
    (These can change if the participants wish, however FR/LG MUST be the first.)
    (The forward slash indicates that you are allowed to choose between one of those two games for that generation)
    (The Hyphen indicates that this is the order of the Legacy. As in, your character from D/P is the child of your character from R/S.)

Misc
    There will be a fanfiction story that will supplement this Legacy. I will write it and your input as a participant is crucial. On this website it will be posted in chapters in the fanfiction section. It will also be posted on a domain that I own at the end of each Act.
    I would like at least two people to participate, but more may be accommodated.

Simply post with these details:

Character name:
    How often you can participate:

Personally, I can move the challenge forward very often as I am also going to be participating myself, as per the rules of this forum. However, I will slow down to accommodate the participants.

I hope to see some interest. If you'd like to participate, post here, and if I choose you! (ew.) You will receive a PM from me. We should all start at the same time just to work out the kinks and make the Legacylocke fanfiction story easier to write on my part.

Those currently involved:
    TheBringerOfLife as Dawn
    DyingWillFlareon as Al

~TBOL.

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I'd be interesting in signing up(haven't done a good non-randomized nuzlocke for a while) but I'm confused by the inheriting part. Does that mean that you catch/cheat in Pokemon or money? Or is it only for the storyline?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    I'm not going to try this, but there's just something I have to ask.

Why do you have both RS and ORAS in the timeline?
    You should only include one because ORAS is just a remake. And although ORAS has slightly different points and improved mechanics, it's still basically the same game.

I know it's not a big deal, but I'm just wondering why you included both.

TheBringerOfLife

TheReviver
    Years
  • @Volga It is not compulsory to complete both OR and AS. I had only intended to complete one of them, or none of them if the participants had decided that they didn't want to complete that game as it is a remake. The current timeline is only how I would do it if I was playing alone.

@DyingWillFlareon First off, you may become the ShinyWillFlareon in my presence.
    Secondly, I had planned to AR or otherwise hack in the Pokemon in the Advanced Gen. I had planned to GTS The DS generations but now the servers are down so I'll have to hack those in as well, which I can.
    Or you can, if you know how. It's up to you.
    But when we make it to the 3DS generations, I'll simply trade them to you. Keep in mind that to even use those inherited Pokemon, you'd still have to have three slots open.
    I hope that answers the questions here.
    ~TBOL

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • @Volga It is not compulsory to complete both OR and AS. I had only intended to complete one of them, or none of them if the participants had decided that they didn't want to complete that game as it is a remake. The current timeline is only how I would do it if I was playing alone.

@DyingWillFlareon First off, you may become the ShinyWillFlareon in my presence.
    Secondly, I had planned to AR or otherwise hack in the Pokemon in the Advanced Gen. I had planned to GTS The DS generations but now the servers are down so I'll have to hack those in as well, which I can.
    Or you can, if you know how. It's up to you.
    But when we make it to the 3DS generations, I'll simply trade them to you. Keep in mind that to even use those inherited Pokemon, you'd still have to have three slots open.
    I hope that answers the questions here.
    ~TBOL

heh ok then I'm shiny now
    So we're just going to hack them into the games? Ok then. I'll try to do the 3DS gen but I really dislike resetting my save files, and I only have one Y and AS game..... I might be able to buy the other two version by the time we get to those though. I usually do Challenges on Emu because of this, and I don't have PokeBank.

Character Name(I'm assuming IGN for the first Challenge): Al
    How often: I usually play through spurts at a time, so maybe 30-45-60 minutes each day or so?

(Also, I'm not sure that's what Volga was asking)

Years
  • Hello im kind of new to this community but i'd really like to participate in your challenge. I do however see one issue is that i currently play at work using emulators on my phone. I am able to play the game close to 40 hours week so id be to help progress your story fairly quickly.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • @drizzitr The thread creator has been summoned, I'm sure he'll answer quickly. :3

Oh Yeah First Update:
    After seeing TheBringerofLife's form I cleaned mine up a bit. ^^
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

TheBringerOfLife

TheReviver
    Years
  • well im off to work for the night i will probably start my adventure and if the OP chooses to allow me to join his cause ill be able to chronicle some on my quest later.

I am okay with you joining the Legacylocke, however I will not be able to include you in the Fanfiction that will accompany it until the second half of the game. I will send you a VM or a PM promptly detailing instructions.
    ~TBOL

TheBringerOfLife

TheReviver
    Years
  • I apoligize for the double post but editing my last post directed to Drizz with this information didn't really feel right.

First update:

Trainer Name: Dawn
    Trainer Nature: Calm

Poke Names: A Squritle named SirMizzle
    Why?: All of Dawn's male Pokemon are prefixed with "Sir" and all of his female Pokemon will be prefixed with "Lady." "Mizzle" is a Synonym for "Drizzle" and so "SirMizzle" is Squritle's name.
    Natures: SirMizzle is Gentle.
    Current Level: Level 11 as of Viridian

Responses:
    Pallet: Dawn gets out of bed, makes his bed, and checks his mailbox for the potion Professor Oak was supposed to send him. It was there. Dawn attains his Squritle and continues on to Route 1
    Route 1: Dawn trains SirMizzle up to level 11 before stepping into Viridian. Mostly off Ratatta, one that criticals him and nearly ends the journey prematurely.
    Viridian: Dawn learns how Pokemon Centers work and decides to eat something with Al.

No Trainer Encounters.

Major Occurrences:
    Dawn gets his Squritle
    SirMizzle nearly dies from a critical
    SirMizzle hits level 11
    Dawn reaches Viridian safely.

Last edited:
    Years
  • First update:

Trainer Name: Jason
    Trainer Nature: Rash

Poke Names: A Charmander named Feralfire
    Why?: Jason named his charmander Feralfire because he felt it matched the wild unpredictable nature of fire
    Natures: Feralfires nature is calm
    Current Level: Level 10 as of Viridian

Responses:
    Pallet: Jason gets out of bed, makes his bed and plays on his snes for a bit, forgeting the time he rushes out of the house to meet up with prof. Oak. He even forgot to pick up the potion left for him by his mom. During his first battle with his rival, Jason very narrowly won, his adventure came very close to its end before it even began
    Route 1: On route one Jason decided to spend some time with Feralfire training because of the near death experience with his first battle. After geting to Feralfire to level 10 Jason moved on to Viridian city.
    Viridian: Jason learns how Pokemon Centers work then meets up with Dawn and Al

No Trainer Encounters.

Major Occurrences:
    Jason gets his charmander
    Feralfire nearly dies during rival battle.
    Feralfire hits level 10
    Jason reaches Viridian safely.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Yo.

This looks pretty fun, and I've been looking for a game to start playing again, and have been getting a hankering to go back to Pokemon, soooo...... In we go.

Does FR/LG vs. R/B and HG/SS vs. G/S matter a lot to you? I do most of my challenges on the originals, but if you'd prefer, I think I can muster some remake challenges.

TheBringerOfLife

TheReviver
    Years
  • Yo.

This looks pretty fun, and I've been looking for a game to start playing again, and have been getting a hankering to go back to Pokemon, soooo...... In we go.

Does FR/LG vs. R/B and HG/SS vs. G/S matter a lot to you? I do most of my challenges on the originals, but if you'd prefer, I think I can muster some remake challenges.

Yes, it matters. It matters a lot.
    For one, the games, FR/LG and R/B are two totally different things, and would have -grave- consequences in the long run.
    We have a VS Seeker and you don't.
    You have Psychic Physical Gods, we don't.
    The EV system is completely different in GEN I/II than it is from Gen III forward. It would be literally impossible for me to do all the conversions to get them equal to what they would be.

And for probably the biggest reason, we're all starting on GEN III and you starting on GEN I would give you a completely different experience than the rest of us.
    Also, I haven't tested to see if this would even work with GEN I/II.
    And those are just a few reasons. You must start with FR/LG.
    ~TBOL

TheBringerOfLife

TheReviver
    Years
  • I'm going to do this on my youtube channel(:

I would prefer if you didn't, as I'm pretty sure one should only do challenges they own or have permission to attempt on a Youtube channel. Besides, I can't even confirm if you're doing it right since you're not even part of the Legacy yet.
    I would recommend you talk to me about this first.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Second question: It seems as if you're wanting people to just do a bit at a time. Most of the time when I do challenges, I like to finish them in one go. Is it alright if we start and like say beat Fire Red in one sitting and post once with the entire game info?

Back