• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mistaken evolutions

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Have you ever mistaken a Pokemon's evolution? For example back when rse first came out and I was not in tune with the internet I thought Breloom evolved into Tropius. They both were part grass types and dinosaur like and Shroomish bears very little resemblance to Breloom.

Anything similar ever happen to you?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, I did not think Golem was an evo of Graveler at first. So it's kind of the reversed deal there.

And I thought Bouffalant would be related to Tauros somehow but that ended up not being the case. Which I still think is sort of a pity, but what can you do.

I don't think I've been confused much once I actually sat down with a game or read up on the internet though, but I might have had some confusion back in the days of gen I and II, when you sort of had to discover how the pokédex worked and how every species was related or not on your own, haha. Can't remember any specific case though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Like Adventure, I also thought that Tauros and Bouffalant were related. To me, it seemed like latter was an evolution of former. Sadly, it disappointed me when I'd managed to find out that they were completely separate from each other. Would've been great if it weren't the case, if you ask me, as I've always wanted to see an evo for Tauros. Oh well, it's not a big deal; there's plenty of other generations ahead of us, I feel, so there's always time.

Aside from above, back in generation three when Munchlax didn't exist, I used to think that Snorlax was an alternative evolution to Vigoroth. Eventually, though, I was proven wrong thanks to Internet.

Years
  • When I first saw Alomomola (long before we knew many details about the 5th gen), I was probably convinced just like a lot of others that we were finally getting an evolution for Luvdisc, only to find out it was a stand alone Pokemon.

Also, when I was younger, I was convinced that Tyrogue only evolved into Hitmontop, and not the other two. For the longest time, this is why I didn't like Hitmontop, until I eventually found out it evolved into any of the three based on its stats.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I thought that Gorebyss was the evolution of Luvdisc as they are both pink and have a similar snout plus are both water types. Two generations later I expected Alomomola to be Luvdisc's evolution...so most of my mistakes revolve around that little pink heart shaped fish...

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I make mistakes like that all the time. It usually happens for me when two pokemon are in the same evolutionary chain but look nothing like each other. Remoraid evolving into Octillery is probably the prime example. Sometimes I'll just get two pokemon I don't know much about confused. Sawsbuck and Stantler for example. In my mind I know which is which, but I might get their names confused and mistakenly say Deerling evolves into Stantler or something like that. With nearly 800 of these damn monsters (taking megas and other forms into consideration), it's almost impossible not to get thing confused once in a while.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I agree with the Alomomola and Luvdisc situation... that to me is still a glaring missed opportunity. I also wanted to add that for a while I thought Lugia was in some kind of relation to Latios and Latias. They looked very similar to me and then both had L names on top of that.

For a long time I was very confused about their typing. I thought Lugia being the counter to Ho-oh and was described in Ecruteak as what looked like a dragon to be Dragon/Water or Water/Flying... then when Latios and Latias came along I found it strange that they were part dragon while Lugia was not. It just added to the confusion for me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2014
    I don't think I've mistaken an evolution but I have got it wrong. I never played Black/White before X/Y came out so that generation was all new to me. When it came time to fill up my Pokedex I started on the elemental monkeys. Panpour, Pansage ect.

I must've levelled Pansage to about 45 before I looked it up and found out I needed to use a stone. Bad times

Fedarik

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I don't know if this counts but the other day when shiny-hunting at the library with my fiance, he said something about Psyduck evolving. At first I didn't think anything of it, but then I had a "wait, what?" moment..yeah. I didn't know Psyduck evolved at all, let alone into Golduck. I thought the two were completely unrelated. T-T

Lauren92

#pokemonforlife
    Years
  • I'm really sad to say that my story of this happened really recently. I didn't realize the Espurr evolved in Meowstic... So here I am EV training this Espurr thinking how funny it will be to have a perfect one since it doesn't evolve and it's very unique looking. Well I was surprised when it evolved... and of course then I needed to raise a female one instead, since I was going for offense... It was a mess! lol

I make mistakes like that all the time. It usually happens for me when two pokemon are in the same evolutionary chain but look nothing like each other. Remoraid evolving into Octillery is probably the prime example. Sometimes I'll just get two pokemon I don't know much about confused. Sawsbuck and Stantler for example. In my mind I know which is which, but I might get their names confused and mistakenly say Deerling evolves into Stantler or something like that. With nearly 800 of these damn monsters (taking megas and other forms into consideration), it's almost impossible not to get thing confused once in a while.

This one is just totally out there if you ask me lol

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
  • When I first saw Sawk and Throh I thought they would be related closer. Like Sawk being Throh's evolution.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    As a kid, I seriously thought that Lunatone and Solrock could evolve if I gave them a Moon Stone and Sun Stone respectively. I remember playing Sapphire, I had a Moon Stone and I went to Meteor Falls to catch a Lunatone just so I could evolve it. Of course my hopes were crushed when I read it couldn't.

Oh and I thought Remoraid evolved into Mantine because in one of Mantine's official art, Remoraid was on its wing.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    For a long time I thought Trapinch evolved into Corphish. Back then I didin't know of Vibrava and Crawdaunt, so I figured there was no way to get Flygon. I sure was surprised when my Trapinch evolved into Vibrava xD

Years
  • Before the release of Gold and Silver, when I first saw Espeon in a Nintendo Power magazine, I thought it was an evolution of Persian. Mainly because it looks like a cat and it had a gem on its forehead, just like Persian had. Imagine my surprise when I found out it evolved from Eevee.

Gree Lee

LeeDiamonds
    Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2014
    I thought Raichu evolved into Marril and thought Marril's name was Pikablu. -.-

Back