• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need some assistance to perfect my team

soulkaze

Beginner Hacker
Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2013
    Tyranitar
     Ability: Sand Veil
     Nature: Jolly
     Item: Life Orb/ Lum Berry
     EVs: 4HP/ 252Atk/ 252Spe.     Done: 4HP/ 252Atk/ 252
    Spe
     Moves: Dragon Dance, Stone Edge, Crunch, Fire Punch

Infernape
     Ability: Blaze
     Nature: Naive/ Hasty
     Item: Life Orb
     EVs: 252Atk/ 64SpA/ 192Spe
     Moves: Close Combat, U-Turn, Mach Punch, Overheat

Shaymin
     Ability: Natural Cure
     Nature: Timid/ Modest
     Item: Leftovers
     EVs: 252SpA/ 4SpD/ 252 Spe  
     Moves: Healing Wish/ Toxic/ Seed Flare/ Energy Ball

kingdra
     Ability: Swift Swim
     Nature: Adamant
     EVs: 108HP/ 252Atk/ 76Spe
     Moves: Rain Dance/ Dragon Dance/ Waterfall/ Outrage

Metagross
     Ability: Clear Body
     Item: Lum Berry/ Orca Berry
     EVs: 252HP/ 252 Atk/ 4Spe
     Moves: Stealth Rock/ Meteor Mash/ Bullet Punch/ Explosion

Aerodactyl
     Ability: Rock Head
     Item: Life Orb
     EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
     Moves: Stone Edge/ Earthquake/ Roost/ Fire Blast

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • First, I'll go through the individual Pokemon. I'll assume this is Gen 4.

Tyranitar

DDTar is a good set, but not early on. There's really nothing this can accomplish in the lead position besides starting up the sandstorm which honestly hurts some of your Pokemon more than it helps them. This is something to save for later in the game. Also, you'll probably want the item to be a Babiri Berry since nothing on your team lures Scizor very well.

Infernape

I personally don't like the set but I'll leave it up to your judgment since you have more experience with this team than I do. I guess my gripe with this is that I don't know what it really does to help your team win. But perhaps that's being nitpicky.

Shaymin

That's really not a reliable set at all, the Life Orber is proven and I do believe that some of our users used the Leech Seed set to success as well. Since this team's focus appears to be doing damage like any offense team, the Life Orber is probably your best bet:

Shaymin @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Seed Flare
    - Hidden Power [Fire / Ice]
    - Earth Power
    - Rest

You'll definitely want HP Fire since nothing on your team takes on Scizor well. Metagross can at least take Outrages from Dragonite and Flygon which makes HP Ice less appealing though ideally you'll want to replace your weak link to cover some of these weaknesses, probably with a Choice Scarfer.

Kingdra

Double Dance is a pretty underpowered set, and Rain definitely inhibits Infernape. You should probably just run Substitute or Hydro Pump in the last slot. Hydro Pump will probably require different EVs though. You could also use a bulkier set like ChestoRest Kingdra to help tank Starmie better, as it's the only Water your team can't handle (Shaymin handles the others reasonably well). Also, you probably should use all 510 EVs =p.

Metagross

The set works, just make sure that you lead with it over Tyranitar. Otherwise you're probably better off using something like Swampert. As for the item, I prefer Lum Berry because it beats those stupid sleep leads, and even when you don't face one, you can bring it in to absorb status just once, but that just once is often a lifesaver, especially against something like a Machamp DynamicPunch. I've been saved against Machamp a few times by Lum Metagross, and that's good for you since you lack a Fighting resist.

Aerodactyl

Taunt over Fire Blast really helps you with stall teams. Other that that, it's fine, though you might as well use Pressure instead of Rock Head (Rock Head doesn't cancel LO recoil so it's useless).

As far as the overall structure is concerned, it's pretty potent offensively. There are a lot of dangerous sweepers that will give your opponents trouble if you hit them before they hit you. That is a pretty big if though, so you should be prepared with a little more defense probably.

Whatever you determine your weak link to be (my guess is probably Infernape), you will probably want to replace it with a Choice Scarfer like Flygon or Jirachi. This will help your team against dangerous threats that you currently have trouble with, most notably Gengar, Dragonite, Gyarados, and Lucario. If you can fit it in, a Fighting resist is also highly recommended to deal with strong attacks from Breloom, Machamp, and Lucario. The best of these is probably bulky RestTalk/Waterfall Gyarados with either Roar or Dragon Dance in the fourth slot. I would suggest DD if you do opt for Gyarados if only because it gives you a win condition against stall teams. Of course, replacing Pokemon is difficult. Replace what you want, but my suggestion is to replace Infernape and maybe either Kingdra or Tyranitar if you want to fit in a wall Pokemon with your Scarfer (should you decide to go that route). It's really up to you.

But this isn't a bad start at all.

soulkaze

Beginner Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, I'm a noob, so I'm looking for a good team to wifi battle with.

Silent Crest

Celestial Shine
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Kingdra, IMO does not belong to a team that is not called Rain Dance. It also conflicts with T-tar. Overall, you have good sets but bad synergy. E.g. I don't see anything that can comfortably take a fighting move (apart from Shaymin) also three pokemon are weak to ground, which becomes an issue.

soulkaze

Beginner Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2013
    Is this team better?

Flygon
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature Adamant
    Item: Choice Band
    EVs:252Atk/ 4SpD/ 252Spe
    Moves: Earthquake, Outrage, U-turn, Roost

Metagross
    Ability: Clear Body
    Item: Lum Berry
    EVs: 252HP/ 252 Atk/ 4Spe
    Moves: Stealth Rock/ Meteor Mash/ Bullet Punch/ Explosion

Gyarados
    Ability: Intimadate
    Nature: Impish
    EVs:248HP/ 252 Def/ 8SpD
    Moves: Rest/ Sleep Talk/ Waterfall/ Avalanch

Roserade
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Focus Sash
    EVs: 4HP/ 252SpA/ 252Spe
    Moves: Toxic Spikes/ Sleep Powder/ Energy Ball/ HP Ice or Fire

Infernape
    Ability: Blaze
    Item: Black Belt
    EVs:252Atk/ 4SpD/ 252Spe
    Moves: Swords Dance/ Close Combat/ Mach Punch/ Fire Punch or Blaze Kick
    Blissey
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252HP/ 252Def/ 4Spe
    Moves: Aromatherapy/ Softboiled/ Toxic/ Seismic Toss

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Is Metagross the lead Pokemon? If not, it should be as it's the best fit. Roserade works too but a lot of common leads beat it.

Flygon can't really make use of Roost, so a Fire move like Fire Blast or Fire Punch is better. IIRC Fire Blast is better against Skarmory while Fire Punch is better against Bronzong.

Gyarados is mostly set-up fodder with two weak attack moves, so either Roar or Dragon Dance over Avalanche is a good idea. Roar is better for spreading hazards damage (in this case, from Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes) and stopping the rare Ninjask. It also outroars Swampert trying to do that same thing. Dragon Dance also takes advantage of Toxic Spikes but in a different way. Waters that wall a mono Water attacking set will be bled out by Toxic Spikes, as will Celebi. Once those Pokemon are worn down, Gyarados can overpower them.

Roserade might as well just use Leftovers since Stealth Rock is going to cancel its Sash anyway. A Life Orb can be used for an extra kick.

SD Ape is great but wants Stone Edge over Mach Punch to get rid of Gyarados. You don't have issues with Heatran though Tyranitar has potential to do huge damage so sticking with Mach Punch in case it's ScarfTar is still a viable option. You'll need to install a Gyarados counter though.

Blissey is usually a good choice. There are other options like Thudner Wave and Flamethrower to consider but the current set is fine so they're no more than alternatives.

I did notice that you changed around a lot of Pokemon from your original version. Replacing things is always the best choice if it makes your team better, but breeding for Pokemon for a WiFi team is tough. Because of that, you should probably test and refine the team on Shoddy or PO and get a lot of experience with it. From there, you'll have a better idea of what you really should replace. If you're using (legal) hacks, it's less of an issue, but usually making a lot of drastic changes makes it hard for you to really get used to playing with your team, and since execution is still very important, experience with your team is indeed a big deal.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The new team looks kind of good, but Roserade needs to be in the lead slot and Flygon has to be kept somewhere in the team as a revenge killer. You can also replace Choice Band with Choice Scarf for revenge killing.

soulkaze

Beginner Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2013
    @Anti, what would legal hacks considered as? Ive used dupplicate so I can have multyples, and wild modifier to help with catching the right pokemon (btu it still takes a while to get the right nature). I also used it for EV training, so its much quicker. Would those count as legal hacks.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • @Anti, what would legal hacks considered as? Ive used dupplicate so I can have multyples, and wild modifier to help with catching the right pokemon (btu it still takes a while to get the right nature). I also used it for EV training, so its much quicker. Would those count as legal hacks.

I'm not a WiFi person so I'm not completely sure of it, but I'm pretty sure that legal hacks mean that your hacked Pokemon could have been obtained using legal methods. for example, hacking a Machamp with perfect IVs and a 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd EV spread (but nothing more) would be a legal hack since you can breed to get that same Machamp. Well, here, I'll just post the WiFi Forum's Rules talking about hacks:

Battle Stadium Rules said:
    Hacked Pokemon: There are a few regulations in regards to hacked pokemon; Obviously, pokemon with ridiculously high stats created with cheat devices or programs are banned from use. These should be pretty easy to spot, especially in battle. Legal hacks (pokemon that are hacked but have legal stats) are not banned from use, but if you plan on using them in your battles, you must clearly state that you are doing so. Both participants in a battle with hacked pokemon must agree to their use before the battle has begun. Any suspicion of the illegal use of hacked pokemon should be reported.

Hopefully that covers it. Either way, you should definitely get to testing your team and come back with any issues. We'll be able to be more helpful once you are used to playing with the new lineup and can weed out weakest links and whatnot. We're always for help, of course.

Back