• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Foreign language commercials on major networks

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    I overheard a conversation today about a new Target commercial, which is in Spanish. They were complaining about how it shouldn't be on a major network, since "English is the national language." I was thinking, we do not have an official language, and after some research, we possibly could have the second largest population of Spanish speaking people... So I don't see why it would be a problem.
    So in your opinions, are you okay with commercials completely in Spanish?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I overheard a conversation today about a new Target commercial, which is in Spanish. They were complaining about how it shouldn't be on a major network, since "English is the national language." I was thinking, we do not have an official language, and after some research, we possibly could have the second largest population of Spanish speaking people... So I don't see why it would be a problem.
    So in your opinions, are you okay with commercials completely in Spanish?

It is perfectly fine as long as subtitles are included. America is supposed to be multicultured , so what's the point of calling the country very accepting of other cultures when the network can't even broadcast a foreign language commercial? Subtitles aren't created for nothing.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I've noticed Spanish speaking commercials and have seen the one you are talking about on a predominate English network. It shouldn't even be an issue unless you find a reason to whine about everything lol. I know Spanish speaking people will appreciate English networks being inclusive airing a Spanish speaking commercial which is great. Hey, for all we know Spanish speakers could be learning English through this network/channel, so they'll appreciate the fact they are noticed as an audience! To answer the question I'm completely fine with it. English subtitles would be suitable, but I don't see them being necessary.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • I've been seeing some of these on YouTube and I think it's given me some nice perspective! A lot of people struggling to learn English might feel like this all the time - where they can't understand a commercial due to its language; so it's nice that they occasionally get something that speaks to thier native language. I wonder if it has improved sales for those companies?

But let's be real: are we gonna make a fuss over the videos we hit the skip button on after an obligatory five seconds?

Years
  • I'm all for inclusivity, but if there's an issue with a minority group not understanding commercials in a predominately English-speaking country it would make more sense to me to provide subtitles in their language rather than do it the other way around.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I'm all for inclusivity, but if there's an issue with a minority group not understanding commercials in a predominately English-speaking country it would make more sense to me to provide subtitles in their language rather than do it the other way around.

Yea, subtitles make more sense. But i do not see what is wrong with all-spanish or whatever language commercials- they are just trying to appeal to more people.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I'm all for inclusivity, but if there's an issue with a minority group not understanding commercials in a predominately English-speaking country it would make more sense to me to provide subtitles in their language rather than do it the other way around.

It's probably less to do with, say, courtesy for Spanish-speaking people who are not understanding English (though it would definitely be a factor for quite a few people) and more to do with whoever is making the commercial simply attempting to tap into the Hispanic demographic as a whole. According to Google, this Target commercial isn't exactly new, it's part of their campaign to appeal to the Hispanic market which has been running since early 2015 at least.

In regards to the main topic, there's no issue. Might be a matter of convenience to have English subtitles but if they're targeting a specific demographic it might be a smart move to leave the subtitles out. I'm curious if this particular commercial aired nationwide or if it was kept to California and it's neighbouring states. I can't imagine this commercial being shown in Vermont or something.

In New Zealand I'd like more commercials, or media in general, to have a higher focus on Te Reo Maori and not just relegate it to Maori Language Week and making it a quick little discussion on the morning talk shows and what not. Any dialogue on the subject would be great considering the precarious state of preservation the language has been in for a few decades.

Years
  • I hate commercials so if they were in a language I don't speak that would be preferable to me because I could more easily ignore them.

But otherwise, I don't really see the problem. Do people feel like they're being left out of something or what? I've been a minority in a country that didn't speak my language and honestly it's really nice when you come across something that has been done in your language. I mean, I wish it weren't commercials for large corporations, but I guess it's something?

Spoiler:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • If you want to target a demographic that speaks X language and not the one that speaks Y language, making your advert in Y beacuse "it's the main language" is self-defeating because... the demographic you were trying to appeal to in the first place will just ignore it. But at the very least you'll get a lot of nationalists being happy, except that's not what you were trying to do.

It's just business. Leave nationalism/racism out of it.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Wait, people watch commercials?
    I do think this is an interesting discussion. Subtitles would probably work for everyone, considering there are already lots of people who watch shows with subtitles, (like most anime fans).

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • I love it, but then again I love languages. IMO as long as there are subtitles for the people that can't understand them, they can put as many foreign languages in as many TV commercials as they want.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I feel, as has been mentioned, there should be subtitles so the commercial's impact won't be lost on those who are not Spanish speakers. However, I do think it's an interesting idea, because, especially if done with subtitles, I feel it broadens audience that can be reached, particularly to those who are not very familiar with English.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    As someone who lives in bilingual Quebec (though I am not an avid TV-watcher anymore), I don't entirely see the problem. Here we have both dedicated English and French channels, but I've heard about some networks having the option to feature content in both languages. Most people here are pretty bilingual, so there wouldn't be a huge issue of people not understanding the commercial. Francophones do get really hung up about language, though, and there would probably be some outcry if there was an English commercial on a French network.

I dunno, guys. When I watch YouTube I get commercials in both English and French, and I'm more annoyed about wasting 30 seconds sitting through it than I am about what language it's in. I guess it just depends who you are/where you live/what language you speak.

~Psychic

Back