• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any suggestions on my team?? (Firered)

Years
  • Hello everyone!!
    I recently re-played my Pokemon Fire Red after a long time and below is my current team:

Venusaur Lv44
    Razor Leaf
    Frenzy Plant
    Leech Seed
    Sleep Powder

Raichu Lv46
    Thunderbolt
    Shock Wave
    Thundershock
    Thunder Wave

Dugtrio Lv44
    Earthquake
    Rock Smash
    Dig
    Slash

Pidgeot Lv45
    Aerial Ace
    Wing Attack
    Fly
    Quick Attack

Primeape Lv43
    Karate Chop
    Cross Chop
    Brick Break
    Strength

Gyrados Lv45
    Surf
    Dragon Rage
    Bite
    Water Pulse

Now the list below is all the TMs I have:
    TM01 Focus Punch
    TM02 Dragon Claw
    TM04 Calm Mind
    TM05 Roar
    TM06 Toxic
    TM07 Hail
    TM08 Bulk Up
    TM09 Bullet Seed
    TM12 Taunt
    TM14 Blizzard
    TM19 Giga Drain
    TM21 Frustration
    TM22 Solarbeam
    TM27 Return
    TM28 Dig
    TM32 Double Team
    TM37 Sandstorm
    TM38 Fire Blast
    TM39 Rock Tomb
    TM41 Torment
    TM43 Secret Power
    TM45 Attract
    TM46 Thief
    TM47 Steel Wing
    TM49 Snatch
    TM50 Overheat

My current location is at Indigo Plateau, and all the Kanto trainers have been defeated. I have no where to level up them, plus I'm under level for Elite Four. Any suggestions?? All suggestion are welcome. Thank you!!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Your team's looking pretty solid, if you ask me! Only thing I could recommend is to perhaps teach Pidgeot Steel Wing, so that you'd have better coverage. As for what attack you should replace it with, I'd go with Wing Attack. Fly's an HM, so that can't be removed, and Aerial Ace has higher priority, I believe, so it's much too useful--wouldn't be wise to have that thrown-out. If you like, maybe you could also attempt having Primape learn Bulk-Up. After one set-up, it'd be ready to sweep your opponent instantly.

Years
  • Return is a good move, base power at 102 if your pokemon are max happiness, and they usually are at max happiness in-game if you've been raising them well. I'd throw it on Raichu, Dugtrio or Pidgeot in place of other weaker normal type moves.

I'd put an ice-type move onto Gyarados for Lance's dragons. Ice Beam is more accurate than the Blizzard TM you have and you should be able to buy its TM in Celadon's department store I think.

There isn't much else to level up with now other than wild pokemon and going up against the E4 repeatedly until you can beat them in one run.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2015
    Get rid of pidgeot hes horrible lol go to celadon game corner and buy a dratini. But save be4 cause you wanna keep buying one and restart till you get one with a RASH or MILD nature ( cause dragon moves are special attack in fire red) then go to the department store in celadon and buy 10 calciums and 10 proteins for dratini then jus level him up. Theres alot of trainer west of fuschia city or you can get the VS seeker from the girl at pokemon center in vermillion city to rebattle trainers. I taught might outrage, ice beam, brick break (for ice types, way better then flamethrower for his high attack) and lastly aerial ace

Also id get rid of gyardos since in fire red theres no water moves for his high attack stat so using him is pointless since his special attack is so bad. You should get the lapras in silph co and save be4 like u did with dratini and keep trying till you get a RASH or MILD nature then just level him up. Just get Calciums and carbos for lapras. He crushed the elite four for me. Teach him ice beam, surf, psychic, and body slam or thunderbolt. Once mine got to level 58-59 he could knock out both agathas gengars and arbok an haunter. Then lapras destroyed lances dragonairs and dragonites and aerodactyl. Also with gary took out his pidgeot (ice beam), rhydon (surf), exeggutor (ice beam) and arcanine (surf).

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I would suggest simply getting the VS seeker (vermilion city pokemon center) and going to a good VS seeker hotspot. I know there's one on one of the islands, but I don't remember if it's pre elite 4 or not. Just search some, and grind a bit until you're around level 48-50. Level 50 should be high enough to take them out. That will get your levels taken care of. As for your moves, they look pretty solid - the above suggestions would help more than I will :P. Good luck against them!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Okay, so looking at each Pokémon individually:

Venusaur
    Frenzy Plant, although powerful, isn't the greatest move for in-game usage because of the recharge factor and low PP.
    Something like this would probably work better:
    - Razor Leaf
    - Sludge Bomb (TM found in Rocket Warehouse)
    - Leech Seed
    - Sleep Powder

Raichu
    Raichu gets access to some decent move tutors in FRLG, so with those in mind here's what I would suggest:
    - Thunderbolt
    - Brick Break (TM found in S.S. Anne or Celadon Dpt Store)
    - Body Slam / Quick Attack (Body Slam needs a move tutor)
    - Thief (TM found in Mt. Moon)

Brick Break helps to deal with Ground/Rock Pokémon like the Geodude line and Onix super effectively, which you otherwise wouldn't be able to touch with all Electric moves. Thief is a handy move so that you have a Dark-type attack, and is good for snagging held items from wild Pokémon.

Dugtrio
    Do you use Dig at all while in caves? If not, and if you don't mind carrying Escape Rope, I would recommend this set:
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide (Move tutor)
    - Slash
    - Rock Smash

I would recommend Aerial Ace since it covers its Grass-type weakness, but I see you've already used it on Pidgeot :x So I suppose Rock Smash will have to stay for HM usage + type variety.

Pidgeot
    Pidgeot is unfortunately pretty limited, but it's not the worst. Its moveset is pretty simple.
    - Wing Attack
    - Steel Wing
    - Quick Attack
    - Fly

Steel Wing offers type coverage against Rock-types, which Pidgeot is weak to.

Primeape
    I used Primeape just by chance in my FireRed Version too, and that thing surprised me with its crazy strength. This is a set I would recommend:
    - Cross Chop
    - Earthquake (TM found after defeating Giovanni)
    - Rock Slide/Rock Tomb (Move tutor/TM)
    - Strength

Gyarados
    Unfortunately, Gyarados suffers from the physical/special split that was present in Gen III. If you're looking for a good Water-type for this generation, I seriously recommend using Lapras with Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Psychic. Lapras even learns Ice Beam via level up at level 31, so you don't have to waste your TM on it.

Back