• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arrange the 22 Starters (Sun & Moon Starters included) in order of most favourite to least favourite!

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Top tier Really cool
    1. Squirtle
    2. Totodile
    3. Cyndaquil
    4. Pikachu
    5. Charmander
    6. Bulbasaur
    7. Mudkip
    8. Torchic

2nd Tier Pretty good
    9. Chikorita
    10. Treeko
    11. Chespin
    12. Fennekin

3rd tier mediocre
    13.Oshawott
    14.Tepid
    15.Chimchar

4th tier turrible
    16. Piplup
    17.Froakie
    18.Snivy

Last place complete suckage-
    19.Turtwig

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    oh wow okay this is actually kind of hard. im not going to add pikachu in for this personally. basing each starters entire evolutionary line

bulbasaur
    fennekin
    torchic
    piplup
    treecko
    chikorita
    chespin
    turtwig
    charmander
    cyndaquil
    squirtle
    oshawott
    chimchar
    froakie
    totodile
    mudkip
    snivy
    tepig

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Never really thought of trying this, though it would probably go something like this..

1. Piplup
    2. Fennekin
    3. Torchic
    4. Treecko
    5. Mudkip
    6. Tepig
    7. Turtwig
    8. Bulbasaur
    9. Snivy
    10. Totodile
    11. Chikorita
    12. Chespin
    13. Cyndaquil
    14. Squirtle
    15. Pikachu
    16. Oshawott
    17. Charmander
    18. Froakie
    19. Chimchar

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I thought about it. Then gave up. Then came back to it. Then gave up. In the end, I just went with aesthetics/personal attachments and omitted Pikachu because I felt like it was comparing apples and oranges by throwing an electric-type franchise mascot into the mix. Also ordering based on entire evolutionary line, not just the starter itself.

1. Bulbasaur
    2. Treecko
    3. Squirtle
    4. Chikorita
    5. Charmander
    6. Torchic
    7. Piplup
    8. Cyndaquil
    9. Turtwig
    10. Totodile
    11. Froakie
    12. Chimchar
    13. Chespin
    14. Snivy
    15. Mudkip
    16. Oshawott
    17. Fennekin
    18. Tepig

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • Why does everyone hate Snivy?
    17. Torchic, Piplup, Snivy
    15. Snivy
    18. Snivy
    18. Snivy
    17. Snivy
    14. Snivy
    15. Snivy
    Chlorophyll types are garbage.
    4th tier turrible
    16. Piplup
    17.Froakie
    18.Snivy
    17. snivy
    14. Snivy
    Sure, for being the Grass Snake pokemon, it doesn't look like a snake apart from the head, but it still has a cool design. It's graceful and elegant, but it's also able to hold it's own and looks smug and taunting. Of course, for most people it's just that it's okayish or not preferred, but it's ranked pretty low on a lot of lists.

Reactions: noa

27thColt

The Collector
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    Here mine:

1. Piplup
    2. Froakie
    3. Mudkip
    4. Chimchar
    5. Treeko
    6. Squirtle
    7. Torchic
    8. Turtwig
    9. Totodile
    10. Charmander
    11. Oshwott
    12. Cyndaqui;
    13. Pikachu
    14. Fennekin
    15. Snivy
    16. Tepig
    17. Chespin
    18. Chikorita
    19. Bulbasaur

Years
  • 1. Totodile - one of my all-time favorite Pokemon
    2. Fennekin - it's such a cute fox baby, how could I not love it?
    3. Snivy - for some reason, it became one of my favorite starters when I first saw it when first playing Pokemon Black
    4. Piplup
    5. Squirtle
    6. Charmander
    7. Bulbasaur
    8. Chikorita
    9. Cyndaquil
    10.Treecko
    11. Mudkip
    12. Torchic
    13. Turtwig
    14. Froakie
    15. Chimchar
    16. Tepig
    17. Ex aequo Oshawott and Chespin - I just really dislike both for some reason :(

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • The Top 10 was really hard for me. 11 to 18 was pretty easy but 10 was hard the order changed several times while writing this list and if I did it in a couple of days I'm sure the order with alter slightly.

1. Turtwig I know it is not the greatest starter Pokemon and I my friends always tell me there are so many better starters for my number one spot. But for some reason I always go back to this cute little Turtle. I have no reason other than I love it.
    2. Charmander, I love fire types and I love dragons and it was the starter I picked when I was kid and to me it is just awesome. .
    3. Mudkip before ORAS Mudkip would have been a lot lower but for some strange reason I used Mudkip in my first play through and I have to say I was impressed I enjoyed using it and I thought it was quite powerful.
    4. Chepsin. I am honestly Shocked at how much I liked this Pokemon. In my first play through of Kalos My Chepsin and I had a bit of a rocky start but once it learnt needle arm and eventually evolved into Chestnaught I thought it was great and fun to use.
    5. Squirtle. I always feel robbed with single type starter Pokemon (more on that later). But I do like Squirtle its cute and becomes a massive turtle with cannon on its back what is not to love.
    6. Chimchar. I honestly just love monkeys and fire so this one was kind of a no brainer (I honestly thought it would be higher) I really think Blaziken is a better Pokemon out of the two but I just like Infernape more.
    7. Piplup I have a rocky history with Piplup it has gone from being one of my worst starter to being one of my best to eventually finding a happy spot around the middle. I at first thought it was one of the worst starters and I always struggled to finish Diamond and Pearl with it. However on my 2nd attempt with Piplup on platinum I got a strong team behind it got it to the Empoleon stage and it ripped through the game.
    8. Torchic. I do love this Pokemon and I think it was great I have been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue but I honestly feel my real love for Pokemon was fuelled by Ruby and Sapphire and for that Torchic has a special place in my Heart I just feel the above Pokemon are better.
    9. Bulbasaur. In My opinion Bulbasaur is a great Pokemon but I feel it is just outshined over and over again by Charmander and Squirtle.
    10 Froakie Great starter in my opinion fun to use and a valued member of my second run through Kalos, Slightly edged out by the previous 9 just cause I think they are better and I don't like Greninja mouth design .
    11. Totodile, Other than the above single type I kind of just feel robbed when I use Single type starters so 11 12 13 14 and 15 all could be ranked equally cause they are not really bad Pokemon I just think there just not up there for me.
    12. Cyndaquil Again No other reason than single typing and I like its design a bit more than the below but a bit less than above.
    13. Treecko, Once again I single type starters always leave me with a bit of a sour taste but I do like the design of Treecko a bit more than 14 and 15.
    14. Chikorita. Much like the previous 3 entries I just don't really like using single type starters (with a few exceptions) but I don't mind the Pokemon.
    15. Oshawott, I don't mind Oshawott and its evolutions I just honestly think all the above Pokemon are better more fun to use and I simply like them more. I also feel like as Oshawott evolves it loses its charm and I feel it is an awkward design.
    16. Fennekin, I honestly cannot put my finger on why this one is so low, it is a decent enough Pokemon and I don't hate using it I just don't like it. (its honestly a mystery)
    17 Tepig, Only Slightly better than Sinvy in my opinion honestly I just don't like this sets design and after Blaziken and Infernape the Fire/Fighting thing was well overdone. Like burnt Tepig Bacon.
    18. Sinvy, One of the worst Pokemon I have ever used. It is still to this date the worst starter I have ever used and the only starter I have ever Pc Dumped during its original play through. Before you say I probably did not give it a chance it was before the 8th badge and it was still awful.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • 1. Totodile --> Not a grass type!! :o (Grass type are myf avorite starter) I can't explain it, I just love this little thing. If I have to choose only one, it's him. (But I want them all)
    2. Snivy --> Very close to Totodile. You can't imagine how close it is. Love this pokemon, and I really like Serperior too! I used it a lot, because fifth generation is one of my favorite game, I played it a lot.
    3. Treecko --> Treecko was one of my least favorite for a long time. But now, he's in third place! Love Sceptile way more than before, can't understand why lol. My first shiny I have breed.
    4. Cyndaquil --> My favrite starter for a long time. Typhlosion isn't that strong, but love the pokemon.
    5. Chickorita --> Aweeee my little Chiko Chiko! Can't say anyting bad about it. It's just.. weak. Stil have to breed one tho.
    6. Squirtle --> So cute, Blastoise is awesome, and Wsrtortle is one of my favorite middle starter. Love this line, my favorite from the first generation.
    7. Charmander --> Not a big fan of Charizard as some other might be, but I have to admit, he's very cool. I do love Charmeleon!
    8. Oshawott --> He's cute, Dewott is kinda awesome too, and I love Samurott!
    9. Chespin --> I do like his line. That's it.
    10. Fennekin --> This thing is so cute! And Delphox isn't that bad. Probably my favorite fire starter after Typhlosion.
    11. Froakie --> I really don't like Froakie! But Greninja save him.
    12. Bulbasaur --> I lve Bulba and Ivysaur, but Venusaur, Urrrhh!!!
    13. Turtwig --> I kinda really like Turtwig and Torterra, plus Gruond type is my favorite and Grass is my favorite starter's type. But for a reason, Torterra isn't the first grass type starter I'll think of.
    14. Chimchar --> I don't like monkeys. I don't have Infernap, but still
    15. Piplup --> This thing is cute, but Empoleon for me is just.. meh..
    16. Torchic --> I did love Blaziken when I first played 3th gen. But now I don'T like it that much.
    17. Tepig --> Okay I guess, but another fire/fight? And Itried to train a Emboar, but he's weak! Or I did something wrong?
    18. Mudkip --> Don't hate it. There is no starter I hate. But Swampert... meh.
    19. Pikachu --> Not a fan of Pikachu. I Love Raichu, but you can't evolve him in Pokemon Yellow? Urrh!!!

Years
  • Oh gawd ^.^; I also omitted Pikachu. If I would put it on it would be around 5.

1. Torchic
    2. Froakie
    3. Chikorita
    4. Oshawott
    5. Squirtle
    6. Turtwig
    7. Charmander
    8. Treecko
    9. Chimchar
    10. Bulbasaur
    11. Cyndaquil
    12. Snivy
    13. Tepig
    14. Mudkip
    15. Fennekin
    16. Chespin
    17. Totodile
    18. Piplup (I frickin hate Empoleon)

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • ^As a starter though, Pikachu kind of sucks because he isn't as powerful as in the first season of the anime. Once I catch one and get a stone , I evolve it immediately. I'd try to use him , but I am HIGHLY biased towards Elekid. Too bad it doesn't have much of a use in battle at level 60, though that must go down in strategy. In the hack I'm playing, I'm thinking of evolving it right into Electivire because the final form is okay.
    Not to say I wouldn't use Pikachu as a starter, but it takes more strategy than I'm accustomed to.

Grrrrr Pikachu doesn't suck, he is the best :P

Anyways, exactly my point, Pikachu takes quite some strategy to use, which is why people don't like using him!

I thought about it. Then gave up. Then came back to it. Then gave up. In the end, I just went with aesthetics/personal attachments and omitted Pikachu because I felt like it was comparing apples and oranges by throwing an electric-type franchise mascot into the mix.

Well I like both apples & oranges :P

19. Pikachu --> Not a fan of Pikachu. I Love Raichu, but you can't evolve him in Pokemon Yellow? Urrh!!!

How can you not be a fan of Pikachu, grrrrrrrrrr :P

Oh gawd ^.^; I also omitted Pikachu. If I would put it on it would be around 5.

No no no, Pikachu is No.1 :P

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016

1.) Fennekin - I love Fennekins design as well as Delphox. Delphox is the only final stage starter that I love.
    2.) Chespin - When the gen 6 starters were released, I didn't like Chespin at all. I liked only Froakie and Fennekin. I was mostly turned off of it's color scheme; the orange wasn't my taste. But the shiny is absolutely darling. Unfortunately I do not think it evolved as well as it should have.
    3-5.) Chikorita, Totodile and Cyndaquil. The second gen starters all have quite cute unevolved forms and I've played with all of them as my starters in Crystal or SoulSilver.
    6.) Froakie
    7.) Bulbasaur
    8.) Squirtle
    9.) Oshawott
    10.) Snivy
    11.) Chimchar
    12.) Piplup
    13.) Turtwig
    14.) Charmander - I have a special disdain for Charmander for no other reason than it's final evolutions popularity. The injustice (in my opinion) that Charizard got two mega evolutions. The fact that even before the mega evolutions existed, people would try to argue that Charizard could be used competitively (I mean, I have nothing against people battling with the Pokemon they love. But trying to argue that Charizard is as competitively viable as Garchomp is silly. It didn't even fair that well on sun teams with Solar Power in gen 5.) It got real old, real fast. Perhaps its a petty reason to hate the line, but I won't lie and say I don't hate it. Sorry Charmander!
    15.) Tepig - Tepig is actually quite adorable (especially with shiny coloration,) but Emboar is a huge disappointment. No one wanted another Fire-Fighting type. I'm pretty sure not many people wanted that many contrasting colors, shapes and textures slapped on to one Pokemon.
    16-18.) Torchic, Mudkip and Treeko. These starters began a trend with me of dumping my starter once I caught a Pokemon that I actually liked (that trend lasted until X/Y, excluding SS/HG.) I was so disappointed looking upon these three as a child playing Sapphire for the first time. Their final evolutions are equally unappealing to me, although Sceptile got less ugly to me with the release of it's mega evolution (which I think it quite interesting looking.)

Are we also considering the starter from Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness?
    I quite like Pikachu and Eevee, they'd be near the top!

Years
  • My favourite is Chimchar. The order:
    1- Chimchar
    2- Turtwig
    3- Piplup
    4- Chikorita
    5- Cyndaquil
    6- Totodile
    7- Charmander
    8- Bulbasaur
    9- Squirtle
    10- Treecko
    11- Torchic
    12- Mudkip
    13- Fennekin
    14- Chespin
    15- Froakie
    16- Snivy
    17- Pikachu
    18- Oshawott
    19- Tepig

Notice: the Sinnoh starters are my favourite ones. Then the Johto region. My least favourite starters are the BW starters.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • Oh man...

1. Chikorita
    2. Charmander
    3. Treecko
    4. Mudkip
    5. Fennekin
    6. Snivy
    7. Chimchar
    8. Totodile
    9. Pikachu
    10. Cyndaquil
    11. Bulbasaur
    12. Torchic
    13. Froakie
    14. Turtwig
    15. Oshawott
    16. Squirtle
    17. Piplup
    18. Tepig
    19. Chespin

Years
  • 1. Mudkip
    2.Totodile
    3. Charmander
    4. Squirtle
    5.Torchic
    6.Treeko
    7.Chimchar.
    8.Froakie
    9.Cyndaquil
    10.Snivy
    11.Bulbasaur
    12.Oshawott
    13. Chikorita
    14.Chespin
    15.Turtwig
    16. Fennekin
    17. Tepig
    18. Pikachu -I dont really have an issue with pikachu but i dont really class him as a real starter, given hes available in the wild in every game plus I never played yellow.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • 1. Charmander
    2. Torchic
    3. Totodile
    4. Squirtle
    5. Pikachu
    6. Froakie
    7. Treecko
    8. Bulbasaur
    9. Fennekin
    10. Cyndaquil
    11. Mudkip
    12. Piplup
    13. Snivy
    14. Oshawott
    15. Chimchar
    16. Tepig
    17. Turtwig
    18 .Chespin
    19. Chikorita

Notable that I have 4 Fire-types in the top 10 (including 1 and 2) and Grass-type doesn't show up until 7 and then they fill up the bottom three.

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Might as well screw around outside of the hacking forums.
    Order doesn't matter between tiers.

Oshawott Tier:
    Oshawott (Best starter, fight me)

Pretty Cool Tier:
    Turtwig (Hey, a Sinnoh Starter that doesn't get too over-designed when it evolves)
    Mudkip (You herd correctly)
    Torchic (Fire/FIghting before it was cool)
    Treecko (yes, I really like Hoenn)
    Charmander (Megas are cool)
    Bulbasaur (Best RBY starter, from a gameplay standpoint)
    Chespin (Derp Quilladin)

OK Tier
    Froakie (Greninja was fun in OU though)
    Squirtle (liked it as a kid, got replaced with Oshawott)
    Snivy (see, not everyone hates Snivy with a burning passion)
    Chikorita (cute pear thing)
    Pikachu (liked it as a kid. everyone did, though)

Ehhh Tier:
    Chimchar (never understood hype over a flaming monkey)
    Piplup (It's cute, i guess?)

Utter Trash Tier:
    Tepig (go get yourself a second typing that's not as cliche)
    Fennekin (go get yourself some earwax cleaners)
    Totodile (the Sandile line's better)
    Cyndaquil (Isn't this thing just Charmander but not a dragon?)

Yell at my opinions or something.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Okay this is a different type of list, based on how much I've used the Starters:-

Always Used:
    Pikachu

Most Used:
    Bulbasaur
    Cyndaquil
    Squirtle
    Totodile

Mudkip

Used Often:
    Chimchar
    Oshawott

Used Sometimes:
    Treecko
    Charmander
    Chikorita
    Tepig
    Turtwig

Almost never Used:
    Torchic
    Piplup
    Snivy

Never Used (coz I haven't played the XY Games :P. Even so, I don't think the Starters are that great):
    Fennekin
    Chespin
    Froakie

Pika Pika :chu:

Back