• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Starters

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In X and Y, our selection of starters ranged between Fennekin, Chespin, and Froakie. Which was ours, and what caused us to choose this particular options?

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I have played with all 3 but my favourite is the Fennekin line, despite Water being my favourite type. The anime certainly helped, Fennekin is so adorable in it.

Years
  • Froakie was who I picked, and while it was my least fave at the time the three were first revealed it was the evolutions that did save me. I do like Fennekin as well, especially with how adorable Serena's Fennekin (now a Braixen) has been in the anime.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • i was one of the few who picked Fennekin as my starter even before the anime kicked in because of how adorable it looked. Sure the fully evolved form of Delphox doesn't look as majestic as that of Braixen but what matters in the end is the pretty nice typing of Fire/Psychic which meant that the movepool is decent.

I went as far as picking Charmander as my Kanto starter in Y since i wanted to take advantage of Mega Charizard Y's Sun to powerup Delphox late in the game.

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    Fennekin is my favorite. I love Fire, and the entire line looks amazing. Fennekin and Braixen are adorable, and Delphox is both adorable and bad-ass. So far, Fennekin to me seems to be the best of the 3 starters, both for in-game runs and in general.

I was initially indifferent to the Chespin line. I didn't hate them, but I didn't care much for them either. Now, I've come to really like the line. Chespin is adorable, Quilladin is goofy in a good way, and Chesnaught looks like a boss.

Oh yeah, and then there's the other one. I never really liked Froakie's line, and I think Greninja is in my opinion one of the ugliest things in Pokemon.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • My favorite was Froakie ever since the starters were first revealed; I love frogs, and usually tend to choose the Water (or on rare occasions, Grass)-type starters. I was actually afraid that Froakie would have really ugly evolutions in comparison to Fennekin and Chespin, so I was pleasantly surprised when Frogadier and Greninja were revealed. I don't really like Fennekin, but I did play with it on my Y game file just to mix things up a bit.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    It's a tie between Fennekin line and Froakie line. I can't decide between the two. I really like the Chespin line as well. For me this is one of the best gens for starters. I think all three little forms, middle forms and fully evolved forms are excellent.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • I chose a froakie as water is my favourite type. just like others, i liked fenniken as well but in almost all the main series pokemon games, i have been choosing a water mon . chespin, i have always beleived, is a stupid pokemon and i find it quite boring. Right now, it is a lvl. 59 greninja and one of my favourites in X.

Years
  • I went with Fennekin in my Y game. I usually pick the fire starter more times than not, the few exceptions were Treecko and Piplup. Kennekin itself is pretty cool, but its evolutions were weird. I liked the typing it had.. which is kind of what made me roll with it in the long run.

TheLegendaryGuy

Years
  • i was one of the few who picked Fennekin as my starter even before the anime kicked in because of how adorable it looked. Sure the fully evolved form of Delphox doesn't look as majestic as that of Braixen but what matters in the end is the pretty nice typing of Fire/Psychic which meant that the movepool is decent.

I went as far as picking Charmander as my Kanto starter in Y since i wanted to take advantage of Mega Charizard Y's Sun to powerup Delphox late in the game.

Me too dude. Delphox dosen't look good to me. Greninja is much much better.

Years
  • I actually have all three Kalos starters, with my Froakie being found through WT (and it's Japanese, too :)), though I have yet to complete my Kanto starter collection, because I only have Wartortle of the three. I have Chespin, Delphox and Froakie, but I was going to use the other two for breeding-stock anyway, so I don't need to evolve them all.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I have played with all 3 but my favourite is the Fennekin line, despite Water being my favourite type. The anime certainly helped, Fennekin is so adorable in it.

Like Hudson, I have played with all three starters. Fennekin and Froakie are my favorites, so it's a tie for them! They are also both reliable during our journey. (:

TheLegendaryGuy

Years
  • I went with Fennekin in my Y game. I usually pick the fire starter more times than not, the few exceptions were Treecko and Piplup. Kennekin itself is pretty cool, but its evolutions were weird. I liked the typing it had.. which is kind of what made me roll with it in the long run.

Same thing here. When i saw fennekin, i thought its evolutions would be cool, just like itself. But sure, Delphox shattered my dreams. Froakie, according to me, is the best Kalos starter.

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2016
    I went with Froakie. I usually go with Grass types as my starter or the Water type. I love Fennekin, but it's evolutions just aren't my taste, considering I was expecting it to be a nice quadrupedal like Ninetails, tthen it became bipedal and I lost interest in it. Delphox is kinda cool, but I found Greninja to be my favorite of the final evolution for the starters, with Chestnaught coming in second (though I'm not a fan of Chespin and Quilladin). I don't understand the huge fanbase for Braixen :/

Fiz!

Fiza
    Years
  • I usually always go with the fire types, don't know but I always thought them to be tougher.

However I didn't like Fennekin's final form so I went with Froakie. Mainly because of the anime :D

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I went with Chespin. It was the one I prefer and I always end up choosing the grass type so...

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I picked Fennekin because I like fennec foxes and fire is my favourite type. I also like that Delphox isn't Fire/Fighting for once.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Just played through again and used Chespin. I must say Quilladin may be my favorite of all 9 pokemon. He's so awkward haha

Back