• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Quick Ball OP?

Do You Find Quick Balls to be OP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • So I'm on my first play through of X (I know I'm late, I'm catching up). I just got the the bottom of Team Flare's HQ and faced Xerneas. Well, before attacking or anything, I used a quick ball and immediately caught the sumbitch. I find that Quick balls are goddamn nuts. I've been using them since they appeared in Diamond and Pearl. Does anyone have any data on these balls? I know that Masters have a 100% chance to catch, but what about the other balls? Just curious. :

Years
  • The thing you have to know is Quick Balls have a 4x catch rate when used on the first turn in battle, but there's also catch rates of the Pokemon themselves to take into account. In X & Y, Xerneas (and also Yveltal) have a catch rate of 45 which is actually fairly high and as a result not much effort is needed to catch them.

Another reason why they are of this catch rate instead of the usual ridiculous 3 catch rate that legendaries have is that Xerneas/Yveltal are mandatory captures which is why they had to make them easy to catch. It's not the only game where this happens, there's also Reshiram/Zekrom in B/W and Rayquaza in OR/AS which require capture so the catch rate was increased, so you could be guaranteed a successful catch.

That's why the Quick Ball worked so well in your case, it was due to Xerneas' catch rate.

Years
  • The thing you have to know is Quick Balls have a 4x catch rate when used on the first turn in battle, but there's also catch rates of the Pokemon themselves to take into account. In X & Y, Xerneas (and also Yveltal) have a catch rate of 45 which is actually fairly high and as a result not much effort is needed to catch them.

Another reason why they are of this catch rate instead of the usual ridiculous 3 catch rate that legendaries have is that Xerneas/Yveltal are mandatory captures which is why they had to make them easy to catch. It's not the only game where this happens, there's also Reshiram/Zekrom in B/W and Rayquaza in OR/AS which require capture so the catch rate was increased, so you could be guaranteed a successful catch.

That's why the Quick Ball worked so well in your case, it was due to Xerneas' catch rate.

Woooooooooooooow. Thought I just had some incredible luck. Hahaha Thanks man! :D

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Quick ball has a catch rate of 5x since gen 5 it was 4x in gen 4. Coupled with o-power lvl 3 its very easy to catch almost any pokémon. But the catch rate of Yvetal and Xerneas is really high and not hard to catch at all. The other legendaries might be more difficult. But with o-power lvl-3 catching legendary with a 1x catch rate is even easy. Cathed most legendary in ORAS in premier and luxury balls.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The thing you have to know is Quick Balls have a 4x catch rate when used on the first turn in battle, but there's also catch rates of the Pokemon themselves to take into account. In X & Y, Xerneas (and also Yveltal) have a catch rate of 45 which is actually fairly high and as a result not much effort is needed to catch them.

I actually didn't know that they'd increased the catch rate of Xerneas and Yveltal at all, haha. The more we learn!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Well it's true mascots are probably easiest with quick ball, but other legendaries like the birds or mewtwo would deem impossible. Just add capture o-power (level 3) and you'll make it very easiest capture with Quick Ball. So Quick Ball isn't OP-ball since other legendaries might have little/medium catch ratio than Xerneas/Yvetal and other balls would be either OP or not OP at all.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Quick Ball isn't OP. You can only benefit from its effects for the first turn, after that it's no better than a regular Pokeball.

Kumakai

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • yeah I got my Xernius with just 2 regular pokeballs so I kinda figured they had a higher then normal capture rate. especially after learning that your capture of it was a scripted event.

but it was still cool when Lysandre comes out and is all. "you caught it? Imma take it back" and I was all "***** you want him? come an get him" then i DESTROYED his team. I was all "***** what?"

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • During the first turn the opponent's health is at max so the chances of capturing it really aren't that high. You just got lucky to be honest. :L

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I would have to agree that they are a little OP, but I actually like them--normally I prefer things to make the games more challenging, but the Quick Balls are something of a guilty pleasure for me. When I'm looking for Pokemon, it saves me a lot of time. And there's still a chance that you'll miss, and after that it's like any other encounter xD

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I used the quick ball!

The mons escaped from the ball!

The ball is now worthless!

Okay, in all honesty, I'd say they are good, but not OP, since there is still a small chance for the mons to escape from the ball.

Back