• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The other "best" trainer from Pallet: Gary/Blue

Years
  • What do you think of think of the very first rival? Do you like this character? What do you think of his skills as a trainer?

I personally love Gary in the anime. In the early episodes this 10 year old rolled through Kanto in a sport's car with an entourage of grown women as if he ruled the world. How could that not amuse me?

His personality matures over the course of the series and the fact that he respects and cares about Ash Ketchum is more apparent (though it was always there if you watched carefully.) The Gary of the Johto and Sinnoh regions displays cool, confidence and control rather than the spoiled brat behavior he showed at first. Which is closer to his manga personality- whom I also love!

As a trainer I think his taste in Pokemon is noteworthy. He not only builds powerful teams, but his pokemon tend to convey a sleek look that fits his personality like Umbreon, Scizor and Ninetales (Manga.) I think his style of battle is more precise strategically than Ash/Red, which makes him perfect for research like he goes into.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've said this in loads of threads but in the anime or the games, Gary Oak is my favourite Pokemon character. I love his personality and my only issue is that he has't appeared enough in the games ;)

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I didn't like Gary in season 1. I hated how much of a jerk he was, and even after he saw Ash battle in the episode he gets the 8th badge and admitted to his skill he was still really jerkish towards him in Oak's lab and before the Pokemon League matches. I was glad they made him lose before Ash. I liked his character a lot more when he was complimentary towards Ash and worked together with him on the few occasions. But yes, they did need to make him an a-hole first before they could show him as more mature and not a jerk. I wish they put him in a few more Johto episodes.

Years
  • I was just rewatching Origins. Its been awhile, but it was interesting for me to observe Blue again with fresh eyes. For me this Blue is friendlier from the beginning than other Gary/Blue incarnations. He teases red, but its not mean, its mischievous. He's more like the class clown or your brother giving you a nookie. I felt sorry for him in the last episode, especially after the injuries he sustains in the cave. He worked very hard and did his job as best as he knew how, but his thunder was always stolen when he came very close. He takes it Ina stride, but its still kinda sad, especially because prof Oak doesn't give him enough credit for how much huge stuff he's accomplished at only 10. He only focuses on his shortcomings.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I didn'T liked him at first, but he did grew in the series. I think it's sad we don'T see him as a Professor, or you know see a litle cameo once in a while. Maybe when Ash call Porfessor Oak...

Years
  • I didn't really like him as a character, because I viewed him as a villain for always picking on the protagonist. As someone who has been a huge bullying victim, I always viewed him as the bully type of character and it's my main reason why he ranks low on my fave rival lists.

I get his appeal, but I'm someone who doesn't seem to be on that bandwagon.

Years
  • I didn'T liked him at first, but he did grew in the series. I think it's sad we don'T see him as a Professor, or you know see a litle cameo once in a while. Maybe when Ash call Porfessor Oak...

That would be cool. I also wouldn't mind it if he played a part in one of the movies with Ash. It would be a change.

Years
  • I feel like one of the few people that didn't have as much exposure to Gary in the anime as I did in the games, where he's technically not even Gary but "Blue".

Either way though, from my personal experiences, I really liked him! Perhaps because I was a huge fan of his dickish attitude back then, even if he did grow a bit nicer over the years, it's always nice to remember him for the mean things that he said that made him a true rival. ^_^

I feel like one of the few people that didn't have as much exposure to Gary in the anime as I did in the games, where he's technically not even Gary but "Blue".

Either way though, from my personal experiences, I really liked him! Perhaps because I was a huge fan of his dickish attitude back then, even if he did grow a bit nicer over the years, it's always nice to remember him for the mean things that he said that made him a true rival. ^_^

I love this comment! You gotta have naughty characters, if everyone was lawful good then we wouldn't have a story.

You mentioned getting to see Blue in the games more often than you watched Gary. I think season 1 Gary is pretty much game Blue but on steroids. If you need episodes that showcase his wicked ways have tried Pokemon I choose you! (The first ever episode) Riddle Me This, Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon or Beauty and the Beach? I also love Battle of the Badge, albeit his human side is starting to show careful ;)

I like Gary to have his nose in the air at least every once and while. The standoffish but not mean Gary in Power Play by Season 4 is fine with me as a middle ground , but that is about as far as I'm willing to go. I think Chronicles Gary is borderline Gary Stu/Mary Sue even though I think his storyline was still really interesting.

Back