• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hidden Grottos!

Years
  • Hidden Grottos!
    Hidden Grottos!

Hidden Grottos are a feature exclusive to BW2. They're located in the various routes of Unova, and can contain items (sometimes hidden) and Pokemon. All the Pokemon found in them contain their Hidden Ability, making them worth visiting, especially now that Wi-Fi no longer works for the Gen. V games. For every 256 steps taken, there is a 5% chance a Hidden Grotto will regenerate; if a Pass Power is used, the chances will increase. When they do regenerate, this is a 40% chance of there being an item, a 40% chance of there being a hidden item, and a 20% chance of there being a Pokemon. The first Hidden Grotto you come across is on Route 5, which Bianca points out to you. Inside it is a Minccino with Skill Link.

The locations of the Grottos, as well as the items and Pokemon found in each, can be found here.

What do you think about this feature? Did you like the addition of Hidden Grottos, or did you hate them? Were you able to visit them all? What Pokemon did you find/catch? Would you change anything about Hidden Grottos? Would you like to see this feature return to future games?​

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I really liked these Hidden Grottoes! Especially post-game. Omg all those special Pokémon. If I'm right, you could even get a Bagon somewhere around Unova! Soo cool! Especially now that there's no WiFi, it can become suuper useful for getting rare DW ability Pokémon in special balls. I do remember catching a Butterfree somewhere in one with a Heal Ball! So cute <3

I definitely wasn't able to visit all of them, though. There's a LOT of them, and as I've stated in other threads before I haven't really played thoroughly through B2/W2. I kinda rushed through them, to be honest x) But I will be exploring every single one in the future! And yes one has regenerated for me. If you have a ton of empty Hidden Grottoes obviously one is bound to regenerate ;)

I would definitely want these features to return in newer games. The addition of this in B2/W2 was just utterly amazing. I like the little ring inside it and the design. Plus it would just look amazing with the new generation's graphics, and it would be a ton of help with getting Hidden Abilities for Pokémon you couldn't normally get! Such an awesome feature B)

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I loved the Hidden Grotto's. The possibility of finding Rare Pokemon with good abilities made the B/W2 much more enjoyable. Especially all the Hidden Grotto's in the Post-Game. It was very helpful when filling the National Dex. I was able to find every Hidden Grotto! I found a Leaf Stone and Thunder Stone in the Hidden Grotto in the Abundant Shrine. The Rare Pokemon I found include: Vulpix, Skorupi, Metang, Dragonite, and Pinsir. I still remember their exact locations. What I would change is only allowing Pokemon and Evolutionary Stones be found in them. The amount of times I found a Pokeball is unacceptable. >:(

I would enjoy seeing Hidden Grotto's in future Pokemon installments. It's one of the many features that made B/W2 amazing!

Years
  • It didn't make much of a difference to me to be honest, I kinda forgot they were there xD Maybe they were TOO hidden for me lol, which I guess is something I'd change if I could. Also, I'd alter the rarity of some of the Pokémon (things like 1% is too low imo. 5% maybe but no lower than that), especially when the likelihood of getting a Pokémon is lower than an item in the first place. I wouldn't be overly rooting for them to return, preferring the Phenomena method of getting rarer Pokémon, but I could see them fitting well into the environment of ORAS, especially on route 119.​

Years
  • I liked the Hidden Grottos, it was pretty much one of my fave new features of B2/W2. Having access to various Pokemon with hidden abilities was nice, given that most tend to rely on them for competitive success and it also made them unique in their own way.

Sadly, I was never able to find any of the "rare" Hidden Grotto encounters. The best I could ever do was a Regenerator Foongus (the problem is they are found in like every Hidden Grotto so yeah not all that special imo) and I did manage to catch that Skill Link Minccino that was required to visit in Route 5. It was sad they never carried over to X & Y, but I do hope they can bring Hidden Grottos back sometime in the future.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Hidden Grotto MADNESS~
    Hidden Grottos!

Within a hidden grotto, you could find a plethora of different items or Pokémon! These were located all throughout Unova, and were sometimes difficult to spot. To reset a grotto, a certain amount of steps is needed.

Topics you can discuss:
    • What have you found in the various hidden grotto locations?
    • What do you think of hidden grottoes in general?
    • What are some things (items or Pokémon) you wanted to find but just couldn't?
    • Would you want something like this to come back in future games?
    • What is your favorite grotto Pokémon? Were you ever able to find it?
    • What would you add to or take away from hidden grottoes, if anything?
    • Aaaaand anything else pertaining to hidden grottoes!

Please feel free to not only share your thoughts but discuss other people's thoughts or stories as well~!

Years
  • I've actually never interacted much with Hidden Grottos and they ended up being an unexplored feature when the fifth generation came to a close and I moved forward. HA Pokemon were never too tempting for me since during those days I hardly cared much for abilities and settled for the better of a Pokemon's set of "normal" abilities.

Anyone got anything neat? :D I'm going to pop Black 2 in to play soon and am curious what kinds of finds people have gotten. Years later or not, maybe I'll get lucky with them.

Years
  • I did sometimes check out the Hidden Grottos yet most of the time I never got anything good out of them sadly. The best thing I probably got was a Skill Link Minccino in Route 5's Hidden Grotto, but that's the one you're forced into encountering anyway so it's not all that special but it's still nice to have.

I once tried to go for a HA Gligar in Route 23's Hidden Grotto but the game always trolled me and often left boring items there instead so I gave up.

Years
  • What I enjoyed about Hidden Grottos was the fact they gave you Pokemon with hidden abilities which were pretty difficult to obtain back in this generation, and while there's some that aren't great, they are still a neat find. I was kinda upset they were absent from 6th Gen but I do hope to see them again in the future.

I didn't care for most of the Pokemon, but my fave is of course the good ol' Skill Link Minccino. Kinda helps because I find Minccino so cute and it was nice getting the opportunity to use one.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Depending on your luck, you could meet really rare Pokemon with HAs to die for. I visit them every now and then to see what I may find. So far I've gotten a HA Breloom out of the grottos; the rest aren't worth mentioning. Skill Link Minccino is pretty cute and good too~

It's a bummer to meet an empty spot of buried items though. Especially if it's a useless one.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Hidden Grotto is a sweet feature from B2W2, it would be great if the HA Pokémon aren't that rare. :) Nevertheless, still love the feature.

Years
  • They were kind of a cool thing, even if they weren't the most reliable one to go for, especially since it wasn't always easy to get Pokémon of female genders to pass down the HAs. But I did get myself a cool Nidoking with Sheer Force thanks to a NidoranF I got from one, so there's that.

Years
  • There's a reason why female encounters in Hidden Grottos are rare, it's to make collecting them for HA breeding a challenge in its own.

Years
  • It's also sometimes funny when you run into Foongus there when you're thinking it'll be an item. But most of the time, you're left wondering what the heck when you find certain items in certain ones. I mean, a Potion in the Route 23 grotto...really? :P

Years
  • But most of the time, you're left wondering what the heck when you find certain items in certain ones. I mean, a Potion in the Route 23 grotto...really? :P

Ah yes the moment you found a Potion in there during your White 2 Wedlocke... I recall reading that.

I remember when I watched Marriland's Black 2 Wedlocke and every time he saw a Poke Ball in there he always avoided it because he had a fear he would run into a Foongus and waste his Hidden Grotto encounter on that (if I recall he only allowed one encounter in the entire game) but it is kinda interesting when you see a blank space and find out it's a hidden item.

But yes, seeing weak items like Potions in some late-game Hidden Grottos. That is just trolling at its finest.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2016
    Hidden grottos being hard to regenerate and the chance of spawning rare pokemon being almost zero made this feature which could've been amazing turn into a worthless gimmick.

Years
  • Hidden grottos being hard to regenerate and the chance of spawning rare pokemon being almost zero made this feature which could've been amazing turn into a worthless gimmick.

The reason why it likely does that is to at least make the Pokemon a challenge in its own to obtain, since hidden abilities are meant to be special so it's natural they make items more common than the Pokemon.

Back