• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Cycle Challenge

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2022
    I have a new challenge I've been doing for Heartgold and have done for Black 2. This challenge is designed to extend the game before defeating the Elite Four. I will call it the Team Cycle Challenge. This challenge requires you to build a team for every gym leader. Once the 8th gym leader is defeated, choose 1 pokemon from 6 of your 8 teams and use them for Victory Road and the Elite Four. The rules are listed below:

Team Cycle Challenge
    Rotating many teams to prolong the game and make it more enjoyable. Here are the basic rules:
    1- Only one pokemon must be caught for the next team by your current team.
    2- You must have at least 1 pokemon for your next team after defeating the gym. Otherwise, game over.
    3- Pokemon cannot be trained for future teams, nor can pokemon be trained from previous teams until the last leader has been defeated. Daycare use is fine.
    4- HM slaves can be used, but they must be no threat to other pokemon. They can never be brought to a gym. Ever.
    5-No duplicate pokemon unless a split evolution has been achieved. (Ex. Having a Gloom turn to a Bellossom, then later for a Vileplume)

Monotype Cycle Challenge
    Using one type against each different Gym Leader. I personally enjoy the monotype variant of this version, which has additional rules to follow:
    6- Get your first type ASAP.
    7- Pokemon can be used for two teams if they have both types. (Ex. Whirlipede- Bug Mono Team & Poison Mono Team)
    8- Types for teams must not be supereffective against the gym. (Your pokemon can be weak to the gym if you want a challenge.)
    9- Types must be chosen before getting started.
    10- You can evolve a past team pokemon if it gains another type useable on your team. (Ex. Seadra on a Water team -> Kingdra on a Dragon team) But you cannot power level for it.
    Must be within 3 levels of evolving if it evolves by level.

Optional Rules
    The rules many may impose themselves with for a new experience. Here are a few rules to make the game harder, progressive, or more enjoyable:
    11- Add some nicknames! Even if you're not creative, giving pokemon nicknames adds more to the pokemon experience.
    12- Add an antagonist boss to defeat with a team. This would have you make 9 teams and is switched out when you defeat the main faction.
    13- No Pokemon Centers! With a team for each Gym leader, this should be more possible than if challenging the full 8 gyms.
    14- No Pokemarts! You must scavenge or steal items for in-battle recovery.
    15- Game completed when defeating the most powerful trainer or pokemon. (Ex. Red in Heartgold or Mewtwo in Red + Blue)

This challenge pairs well with almost all other challenges like a Randomizer or a Nuzlocke. Currently, I am doing a Monotype Cycle on Heartgold. Due to the 16 gyms, this makes it a very long adventure, but very enjoyable nevertheless. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Back