• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Vale Institute of Magic [M] [OOC/SU]

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    1. I tried to make it a slightly obscure thing, but I figured at least one person would pick up on "blooming into nature's bounty", even if it's just for a dirty joke. Guess we need to make that more obvious.

2. You probably don't have much muscle or fat, like me, so your weight is understandably low. For someone at 5'11 who trains physically enough that they can fight in melee range, they should have enough muscle to average out their weight to around 140.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    I only have one question right now: Why does no one want Nature magic?

@Paskalso, Colony's post will take care of most of your SU, but from the bits I looked at, I have a few concerns.

The first is that he's clearly a martial artist-type fighter (and we already have one), but he has no relation to martial arts in the rest of his sheet. At all. How could he possibly be an effective fighter like that? More importantly, they don't seem to fit him as a character. He's patient and non-aggressive, so why does he have such an aggressive spell like "Wind Fist" or "Shock Wave"?

The second is that he's 5'11, and "underweight" at 120lbs. I'm 5'6 and 115lbs, and I'm considered moderately underweight. Alex is severely malnourished.

I took what you said into account and made a few changes to try and even it out, martial arts moves are gone and replaced with three others, and I tried giving him a better weight-height balance

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    A few more things that now popped up from your changes:

1. "Healing Wind" is a healing spell, which is its own discipline of magic completely unrelated to air magic.

2. "Last resort" abilities just don't really work here in any form. Fights are very, very fast-paced in Vale, ending in a matter of minutes (or even seconds). "Air Suction" would require significant charge time to be of any reasonable use, and Alex would literally never get the chance to use such a powerful offensive spell like that. It would also look really awkward in practice. All last ditch efforts do. Tried it. Still looked stupid. :P

3. "Air Push" feels like you forced the name, and generally manipulating air flow is considered an implied ability of all air mages, so it actually doesn't even need to be included unless Alex uses it so frequently that it's a core part of his kit.

Please keep in mind that you don't need to fill out all five spell slots. We won't dock you if you could only come up with two or three, and you can always ask Colony or myself for ideas and whether a spell would work or not.

4, and most importantly: He's no longer underweight. :P

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
    Years
  • Spells:
    Levitate: What's the basis for the spell? Or, more specifically, how much concentration does it take to lift a specific object, then how much does it scale? What is the strain on his mental condition since it takes so much concentration? We need specific details for anything that scales.

Air Wall: First, how does he create a wall of air? Air itself is not a solid, so my only thought would be that he's creating gale force winds, which sounds exactly like another, significantly better spell of yours. Also, using the air in his lungs is really unwise, seeing how air is all around. There are much better limitations, so just take a few seconds to really look into something creative and realistic.

Air Push: Songbird has mentioned her thoughts on the spell, so, let me just reiterate it.
    3. "Air Push" feels like you forced the name, and generally manipulating air flow is considered an implied ability of all air mages, so it actually doesn't even need to be included unless Alex uses it so frequently that it's a core part of his kit.

Personality: A couple of questions regarding some unlikely or unexplained personality traits. If he hates being the center of attention, then why is he so prone to being the center of attention? Why does he even hate being the center of attention? Generally speaking, we look for consistent, realistic personalities. Something as unlikely as the competing concepts here don't exactly fit that model unless properly explained.

I'm not a fan of the wording for "people come to him when they need help." It implies a sense of bunnying, which is a big no-no in the RPC. Instead, use wording that draws more on his personal traits and willingness to help, such as "he is always willing to help or give people advice should they ask for it." Such a phrase would also make the line shorter and reduce the need for "he almost always helps," along with eliminating an extra comma, thus making the whole sentence a bit easier to read. Sorry if this comes off as me being a stickler, but I'm just trying to help make the writing a little smoother and easier to read.

The only other problem I have with the Personality section is the last bit pertaining to people laughing at him for making mistakes during practice. It's too much of an assumption to expect that people would actually laugh at someone trying to develop their spells. After all, Vale is one of the most prestigious schools for magic. So why would anyone treat someone poorly for attempting to develop their magic?

History: The general basis for Alex's family's magic seems very similar to Shion's, what with the whole being an air mage in a family of fire mages.
    Shion was the only one who couldn't use fire magic, being the only one aside from her grandmother who could only use air magic.
    It's usually a good idea to avoid having clear similarities with another SU.

The mention of Rachel is really underdeveloped. For her to be as significant to Alex as she seems to be, then shouldn't she have more detail than "over time the two of them became close?" If you add something of significance—especially a character—we need to know why, exactly, they're so important. Why should we care about Rachel at all?

The only other notable mention that I can say about Alex's history is that I don't quite see why he would be going to Vale to become a better person. I mean, it's a school to develop his magic, not refine him into a gentleman. This really sounds like I'm just nitpicking, but tiny little things such as this very easily prevent acceptance, as they make an SU less cohesive with the universe the character is in.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    Alright taking what you said into account I'll start working on a new history and changing some of the personality, and a few other things. Hopefully I'll have the new stuff up later today if not today then tomorrow

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    Okay, so here is the new and very different Alex Festis.

Name: Alex Festis
    Element: Air
    Spells:

Free Gales- Alex turns the air around him into gales of wind that when at full power can be compared to gale force winds of 55-70 miles per hour. He can use these gales to levitate objects or people, create a wall of air around him or another object, or to throw opponents away from him. He can only use these gales for the above three actions and when he uses this he can't physically move himself from the spot where he started the spell. He

Air Cannon- Alex takes the air around him and forms into a sphere that has about a 4 inch diameter. This sphere travels about 50% faster than a regular cannon ball shot out of a cannon, and once it hits a target, it explodes with a blast of air shooting the target back at least 4 feet. The faults to this spell is that Alex must have a clear target and he has to point at the target to fire, which makes it easy to dodge if an opponent is paying attention.

Whispers of Fault- Alex's first spell, and the one he's put the most time into. He whispers at varying degrees of sound and uses wind to direct the sound waves, and distort them if needed. His maximum range he can do this is 20 feet away, and can only keep the words in the air for 30 seconds and after that the words just disappear with the air. This is mostly used to distract an opponent in battle, or enrage them so that he can lure them into a trap. He also uses this to trick people into believing things in or around school so that he can see what happens.In order to do this he must keep his breathing under control for the first few seconds of it, otherwise it'll disappear.

Appearance: He stands at 5'10" with light brown hair that he wears short, allowing it to only grow 1/4 to 1/2 way down his neck at any time and has slightly longer bangs in the front that he combs to be straight up and to the side. He uses small amounts of gel to keep his bangs from falling and plastering onto his forehead. His eyes are a bright, brown-green hazel that shows his intelligence when looked into. He always makes sure to look, and be at least slightly in shape, that way he can look more approachable to others. Since he's always trying to look in shape, he makes sure to keep his weight between 135 and 140 pounds.

Alex can be seen wearing a variety of clothes, but most of the time he wears jeans, a name brand shirt, and some brand of tennis shoes to look normal and more approachable. He also has a pair of slacks that he wears with a pure white t-shirt that is underneath a white, or black, button down shirt that he leaves unbuttoned.

Personality: Alex seems like your typical nice, approachable, friendly guy, but he is actually just the opposite, his real side likes to play with people and their emotions, as well as their relationships with others. He does this by befriending his target first, then slowly getting them to trust him with their secrets and fears. Then, whenever he feels he needs to, he uses those things against them, but does it in a way that they don't suspect its him, and instead usually suspects its another friend or a person they hate doing it so that he can continually play and use them when he wants.

He also enjoys reading psychology text-books, and can often be seen walking around campus with one on him. Unfortunately though, this is just so he can understand the human brain more and use that knowledge to better control people.

He is great at controlling his emotions, and faking emotions as well, since these are easy tools to get people to let their guard down around him. He isn't beneath playing a fake pity card, then striking those affected by it in a fight. Although he is great at controlling his emotions, his biggest weakness is that he believes he can act through anything, and trick anyone, which leaves him completely open and predictable to those who see past his nice guy persona.

History: Alex was born into a poor family, and thanks to this he grew up in slums, and bad areas of towns. Since his family was poor and constantly dealing with money problems, he grew up listening to his parents always arguing over money, and learned how to act like a good boy to keep himself from being yelled at. As he grew up, he started realizing that he can use the same words and actions that he does with his parents on others, and better yet if he does it right he get them to do things for him! He started with getting friends to do his chores, getting strangers to buy him food, and other little things at first, but when he got into middle school he found he can use these things to break up friendships, cause fights, and even completely change a persons personality.

Around this time, his magic started appearing, and the first thing he figured out how to do was use the air to move his whispers into an unsuspecting persons ear, and as time went on he got to the point where he could even change the way the words sound to make sound like it was someone nearby saying it instead of him. Even though he discovered his magic, he didn't tell his parents about till a year later, and to their surprise, he had been using it on them to break up and cause fights.

He got his first job when he was 14 and that was simply as a paper boy, but thanks to his magic he quickly finished his routes and was given a raise not long after he started. He kept this up and was soon taking random jobs all around for a quick buck and not a word of it reached his parents ears, he made sure of that by silencing people and using information he had gathered about them against them. He kept this info from his parents so that he wouldn't have to give up all the money he was making in order to leave the slums, and his parents, behind. Afterall to him, they were just playthings.

When he received the letter for Vale Academy just before he turned 16, his parents didn't know what to do, but he immediately decided to go, after all, there would be new people for him to play around with instead of the same old ones that he was used to. Plus he got to finally leave the slums behind.

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Put simply, Colony and I have relatively high standards compared to a lot of the RPC. (He's an English major, and I'm anal.) While it works for us, it doesn't work for everyone, so I feel it right to warn you before you commit too completely (yes, I know you completely redid the sheet once already, but hindsight is 20/20, and my sight is 20/50): By the time Alex is finished and in an acceptable state, you may lose the drive to stay in Vale because of this.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    I only have 2 questions, what did you mean by in hindsight 20/20 and your site is 20/50? My other question is what big words? The only one that seemed big was dystopian, which is actual a simple word.

Colony

Years
  • The vision thing is a bit of a joke, implying that Songbird's vision isn't all that good while hindsight is perfect. As for the big word thing, all I can say is meh. If those statements are seriously what you latch on to in Songbird's review, then I suggest rereading the review as they both had nothing to do with the actual review. I find myself personally questioning why you would actually bring either of those statements up, but I digress.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2015
    No, I read and understood it sorry, and I was just asking cause those comments had me curious

Colony

Years
  • Ah, I see. Sorry if I seemed hostile. I've been on edge today. :P

Also, just want to check in and see if anybody is working on an IC post. The plan is to move on to the second phase sometime next week, so just want to get a general idea of where people are on their posts. Nobody has to post during this phase, but it'll be very important during the next phase to be active.

doge

???
    Years
  • I think I'll hold out on posting until the second phase. I need to catch up on some stuff that I've neglected this summer >>

edit - hey guys this is -sam, got my name changed to doge!

Last edited:

Colony

Years
  • I'd like to apologize about the slight delay on posting the second IC announcement. The new college term has started up and I've been scrambling to get back into rhythm. The post should be up this week, as it's pretty much typed up already (just needs a few checks and what not).

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Oh god someone POSTED?! Colony, we gotta get it in gear!

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • This looks good and, if it's okay with you guys, I think I may join in with the fun.

Spoiler:

I got up to Appearance, but I'm going to have to just hit submit for now because it's 6:02am here currently, and I only finished work about two hours ago, so I need some sleep. If there is anything wrong with the spells I have currently concocted, or my element of choice, please let me know. If my post count is of an issue, please don't let it be. I intend on becoming very well known around the RolePlaying section of this community in the comings weeks.

Hopefully reserved? (Please do not take the information I currently have written for APPEARANCE, PERSONALITY OR HISTORY as a serious part of my SU, I just wanted to fill some lines and make it look a bit prettier/neater)

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Okay, because I just lost roughly fifteen paragraphs of an incomplete review because of how PC works and I didn't take the precaution I normally do of saving it, this probably won't look as funny as the original 15+ paragraphs did. However, I wish that you'll be able to laugh at some of this while reading it.

First, welcome to PC. I hope you find some RPs to get involved in and friends with whom to have fun, and I'm very sorry if I make your first experience here at all unpleasant. I have a habit of that which I'm trying to work on, and losing an essay's worth of writing in one idiotic mouse click isn't helping me. I also don't want to blow off steam while I still have most of the information from the previous attempt in my head. Please understand that none of the other GMs are as salty as I am. They also don't talk to themselves as much.

I hope.

Since the RP has started, we aren't taking reservations. However, since there are open slots there's nothing stopping you from signing up, aside from five spontaneously finished characters that immediately get accepted. That won't happen, but I feel it right to warn you.

Now, to actually get on to the review, please note that you are not the first person to have had any of these issues in particular brought up. We also really don't care that you're new to PC, as long as you're able to take things with a grain bucket of salt.

A character's age in Vale must be between 13 and 17. Vale doesn't teach only magic; it also acts as a normal high school.

Vale takes place on modern Earth, so the name is inappropriate. There are a lot of unfortunate little girls who were named Daenerys after Game of Thrones started airing, and some idiot on Wipeout legally changed his name to Starfire, but "Verane Ithias" is not one of those names. Someone signed up to Old Vale as "Anthony Dragonwind", too. At least yours makes sense in a fantasy world, but, still, the "modern Earth" thing is why there's a problem at all.

Second, Nature needs to be included in your choice of elements. "Earth" pertains only to minerals; metal and plantlife require much finer control over the element (and more so with nature in particular since you're controlling living things). It also needs to be explained in his history (whenever you finish it) how he managed to get so powerful before coming to Vale. A mage without formal training will have basically no capacity to use any of the spells you've listed, let alone nature magic itself.

Why only wood? Unless you're misspelling everything and mean to say he controls weed, your character is going to be extremely limited in what he can do. Seriously, weed alone would give you more potential than wood alone. Plus, it would be funny as hell.

"Nature" even pertains to biology. Nature mages can SHAPESHIFT. Obviously not much, but they COULD, and you pick WOOD. Normally, you'd want to would instead of could, but Colony and I are really trying to encourage players to could.

On his spells:

The descriptions make me think of a skill book that anyone can just rip off, and that's not a good thing. Mages have completely different ways of using their magic such that not even very similar spells are exactly the same, and they react to being able to use their spells differently. Your character sheet is about your character. How does he use his spells? What do they do to him? Make it so they're his spells.

Earthen Ring: Why do you mention that there's a potential charge up time if he can instantly throw 3-9 cannonballs faster than Aroldis Chapman whenever he wants? It's redundant. It should also take a lot of work to telekinetically carry and throw 9 sizable cannonballs made of dirt and stone at any given time. However, exhaustion is a stupid limitation when mages have high endurance, so maybe it could burden him physically instead of mentally to carry so much material.

Gust of Splinters: Where does the material required come from? If he has to yank the wood from a tree, he's going to run out quick. With only one exception in an already-occupied element, material cannot be created or summoned from nothing like in Naruto. To compare magic in Vale to an existing universe, the bending from the Avatar series is the closest parallel, taking the element directly from the world around you (again with the one exception of the already-occupied element). As with the previous spell, there needs to be a downside to carrying so much material and still concentrating on a target.

Nature's Protection: Out of all potential methods to protect someone with earth magic, you pick an unsustainable box that immobilizes the person it's supposed to protect. I recommend taking a look at Geras32's signup for an idea of an efficient earth-based protection spell. His is a metal spell, but you get the point.

TreeCore: This will kill you, without exception. By the science of it, replacing your bones with anything will kill you—bones are constantly breaking down and rebuilding themselves, and nothing else does that besides other living cells in the body. Wolverine does it because the adamantium is fused to him, and not actually replacing anything. (He also has pseudo-immortal regenerative abilities, but that's beside the point.) Human bones are already more durable than concrete, and mages even more so; it's everything stuck on the bones that's squishy. Bringing that pesky Earth science into it again, there is no such thing as unbreakable, especially wood.

Wood Form

I want to applaud you for being brave enough to go with such a powerful spell that changes how your character fights and protects themselves. However, I also want to scold you. Colony and I in no way accept "last resort" abilities. This is a three-point list of why:

• why
    • why
    • why

The first is that your spell requires significant charge time and extreme concentration. Fights in Vale are very fast paced, being over within minutes (if even that).

Second, not only will he never get the chance to use this due to reason #1, but he'll die by giving himself the "essence of wood". There's nothing about wood that's particularly special or helpful for a human being like concrete skin. If anything, he'd be weaker for it.

Third is that they're just unpleasurable to look at, no matter the medium. "I was saving this for last..." is the absolute biggest copout in the history of writing. Believe me, I've tried it, and it just looked and felt wrong. Made me feel dirty.

You also end up contradicting yourself, and I hope it was your late-night post-job writing that caused it. "The ultimate act of protection and durability." is the first sentence, but you turn it into a double-edged Buster Sword halfway through the paragraph. "The damage the caster can take is greatly increased, as with the damage the caster can inflict." This is not protective nor durable in any sense of the word. I always say things like, "They can't hurt you if they're dead," but this doesn't really count when it's made out to increase your defensive ability from the first sentence.

On the side effects:

"He loses all personality and emotion besides loyalty." The only thing I can ask about this is, why? Why does he lose his personality? Why does only loyalty remain? To whom or what is he supposed to be loyal?

"He fights for his friends!"

Thanks, Ike, but that's not exactly a reason for him to lose his personality, especially leaving just a sense of loyalty. It's not like wood is loyal to anything.

#1: "Wood Form can last as long as necessary." Why does he ever bother dropping it if he knows he's going to get himself killed because of the total vulnerability he's supposed to have afterwards?

#2: You already know what's wrong with this.

#3: Being permanently stuck is unacceptable, not because it's too strong or really screwed up, but because it's just a stupid limitation of someone's abilities. The only thing I can cite for doing this well is Animorphs, and that involves DNA theft and shapeshifting.

Lastly, every one of your spells would be significantly easier to use and master, and are much more readily available if it were just earth magic. If you want to go with more advanced elements, that's fine, but we want you to think "Not Naruto" when you're coming up with them.

Gods... if only I put this much effort into college or something.

Also, I gotta make an Animorph kind of character now. Or I can just read the books again.

Nah, I'll make an Animorph character.

Last edited:

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Okay, because I just lost roughly fifteen paragraphs of an incomplete review because of how PC works and I didn't take the precaution I normally do of saving it, this probably won't look as funny as the original 15+ paragraphs did. However, I wish that you'll be able to laugh at some of this while reading it.

First, welcome to PC. I hope you find some RPs to get involved in and friends with whom to have fun, and I'm very sorry if I make your first experience here at all unpleasant. I have a habit of that which I'm trying to work on, and losing an essay's worth of writing in one idiotic mouse click isn't helping me. I also don't want to blow off steam while I still have most of the information from the previous attempt in my head. Please understand that none of the other GMs are as salty as I am. They also don't talk to themselves as much.

Thank you! Of course this isn't going to make my first experience unpleasant; if anything, it's the most constructive thing anybody has ever said too me. Usually the GM will nitpick at some very minute detail. You however, have blown me away with the in-depth review of my SU. And I thank you for that.

Since the RP has started, we aren't taking reservations. However, since there are open slots there's nothing stopping you from signing up, aside from five spontaneously finished characters that immediately get accepted. That won't happen, but I feel it right to warn you.

Now, to actually get on to the review, please note that you are not the first person to have had any of these issues in particular brought up. We also really don't care that you're new to PC, as long as you're able to take things with a grain bucket of salt.

A character's age in Vale must be between 13 and 17. Vale doesn't teach only magic; it also acts as a normal high school.

Vale takes place on modern Earth, so the name is inappropriate. There are a lot of unfortunate little girls who were named Daenerys after Game of Thrones started airing, and some idiot on Wipeout legally changed his name to Starfire, but "Verane Ithias" is not one of those names. Someone signed up to Old Vale as "Anthony Dragonwind", too. At least yours makes sense in a fantasy world, but, still, the "modern Earth" thing is why there's a problem at all.

I see where you're coming from with this. Verane Ithias would be a very unfortunate name for a youngling to have, even if he chose to change it himself. Will get on this right away.

Second, Nature needs to be included in your choice of elements. "Earth" pertains only to minerals; metal and plantlife require much finer control over the element (and more so with nature in particular since you're controlling living things). It also needs to be explained in his history (whenever you finish it) how he managed to get so powerful before coming to Vale. A mage without formal training will have basically no capacity to use any of the spells you've listed, let alone nature magic itself.

Why only wood? Unless you're misspelling everything and mean to say he controls weed, your character is going to be extremely limited in what he can do. Seriously, weed alone would give you more potential than wood alone. Plus, it would be funny as hell.

"Nature" even pertains to biology. Nature mages can SHAPESHIFT. Obviously not much, but they COULD, and you pick WOOD. Normally, you'd want to would instead of could, but Colony and I are really trying to encourage players to could.

To be honest? When I was writing this SU, I was really excited by the prospect of a magic RP, and I (shamefully) had Naruto in mind whilst I was coming up with most of this stuff. I'll make a few changes regarding his element right away.

On his spells:

The descriptions make me think of a skill book that anyone can just rip off, and that's not a good thing. Mages have completely different ways of using their magic such that not even very similar spells are exactly the same, and they react to being able to use their spells differently. Your character sheet is about your character. How does he use his spells? What do they do to him? Make it so they're his spells.

You're right; upon rereading the description of these skills, it sounds like something straight out of a World of Warcraft spell book.

Earthen Ring: Why do you mention that there's a potential charge up time if he can instantly throw 3-9 cannonballs faster than Aroldis Chapman whenever he wants? It's redundant. It should also take a lot of work to telekinetically carry and throw 9 sizable cannonballs made of dirt and stone at any given time. However, exhaustion is a stupid limitation when mages have high endurance, so maybe it could burden him physically instead of mentally to carry so much material.

Gust of Splinters: Where does the material required come from? If he has to yank the wood from a tree, he's going to run out quick. With only one exception in an already-occupied element, material cannot be created or summoned from nothing like in Naruto. To compare magic in Vale to an existing universe, the bending from the Avatar series is the closest parallel, taking the element directly from the world around you (again with the one exception of the already-occupied element). As with the previous spell, there needs to be a downside to carrying so much material and still concentrating on a target.

Ahhh, I see. I did have the Avatar bending technique in mind, though you've hit the nail on the head, I was closely replicating Naruto. Gotta stop watching episodes whilst I'm trying to be creative. xP

Nature's Protection: Out of all potential methods to protect someone with earth magic, you pick an unsustainable box that immobilizes the person it's supposed to protect. I recommend taking a look at Geras32's signup for an idea of an efficient earth-based protection spell. His is a metal spell, but you get the point.

TreeCore: This will kill you, without exception. By the science of it, replacing your bones with anything will kill you—bones are constantly breaking down and rebuilding themselves, and nothing else does that besides other living cells in the body. Wolverine does it because the adamantium is fused to him, and not actually replacing anything. (He also has pseudo-immortal regenerative abilities, but that's beside the point.) Human bones are already more durable than concrete, and mages even more so; it's everything stuck on the bones that's squishy. Bringing that pesky Earth science into it again, there is no such thing as unbreakable, especially wood.

TreeCore is a very useless spell looking back on it, as is Nature's Protection to an extent.

Wood Form

I want to applaud you for being brave enough to go with such a powerful spell that changes how your character fights and protects themselves. However, I also want to scold you. Colony and I in no way accept "last resort" abilities. This is a three-point list of why:

• why
    • why
    • why

The first is that your spell requires significant charge time and extreme concentration. Fights in Vale are very fast paced, being over within minutes (if even that).

Second, not only will he never get the chance to use this due to reason #1, but he'll die by giving himself the "essence of wood". There's nothing about wood that's particularly special or helpful for a human being like concrete skin. If anything, he'd be weaker for it.

Third is that they're just unpleasurable to look at, no matter the medium. "I was saving this for last..." is the absolute biggest copout in the history of writing. Believe me, I've tried it, and it just looked and felt wrong. Made me feel dirty.

You also end up contradicting yourself, and I hope it was your late-night post-job writing that caused it. "The ultimate act of protection and durability." is the first sentence, but you turn it into a double-edged Buster Sword halfway through the paragraph. "The damage the caster can take is greatly increased, as with the damage the caster can inflict." This is not protective nor durable in any sense of the word. I always say things like, "They can't hurt you if they're dead," but this doesn't really count when it's made out to increase your defensive ability from the first sentence.

See, if you hadn't have posted such an in depth review, I'd be asking "What is the problem with Wood Form? Sounds badass and would look rather cool in a fight". But, you're correct.

On the side effects:

"He loses all personality and emotion besides loyalty." The only thing I can ask about this is, why? Why does he lose his personality? Why does only loyalty remain? To whom or what is he supposed to be loyal?

"He fights for his friends!"

Thanks, Ike, but that's not exactly a reason for him to lose his personality, especially leaving just a sense of loyalty. It's not like wood is loyal to anything.

#1: "Wood Form can last as long as necessary." Why does he ever bother dropping it if he knows he's going to get himself killed because of the total vulnerability he's supposed to have afterwards?

#2: You already know what's wrong with this.

#3: Being permanently stuck is unacceptable, not because it's too strong or really screwed up, but because it's just a stupid limitation of someone's abilities. The only thing I can cite for doing this well is Animorphs, and that involves DNA theft and shapeshifting.

I LOVED the Animorphs books. Now you want me to go and read one.

Lastly, every one of your spells would be significantly easier to use and master, and are much more readily available if it were just earth magic. If you want to go with more advanced elements, that's fine, but we want you to think "Not Naruto" when you're coming up with them.

Gods... if only I put this much effort into college or something.

Also, I gotta make an Animorph kind of character now. Or I can just read the books again.

Nah, I'll make an Animorph character.

Thank you so much for your detailed review :) I will be making some changes to my SU throughout the day, and I'll post when I've edited and resubmitted!

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    I'm glad to know you found it helpful (and that you're a fellow Animorphs fan)! Colony and I will give you as many attempts as you'd like until you finish an acceptable character, and feel free to send us a private or visitor message. We'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the RP, how it works, and whether or not things in your character would be acceptable (or if we can make a spell more hilariously OP than it should be).

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    I understand, especially if you have school or something that's keeping you occupied; Colony's been losing RPC time himself due to school. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, Kanon.

Back