• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Roleplay Discussion

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
  • Hello, I have recently had an idea that I think could be quite good, but I want to see what other people think first. If i go ahead with this and it gets accepted, it would be my first RP *gulps nervously*

Ok, so the basic premise is, the character is about to start a Pokemon journey and will get a starter pokemon (Bulbasaur, Squirtle or Charmander) from Professor Oak. They will then travel around Kanto to collect the eight Gym badges before challenging the Pokemon League.

I know what you're thinking: probably something along the lines of "this kid is a freakin' idiot". However, I'd like to bring something to your attention. RPs and fanfiction (especially OT stories) are fairly similar, yes? And in the OT stories, you often get rubbish like my 'plot'. So, to discourage this, many smarter fanfiction writers create parodies. i think you get where I'm going with this.

Would it or would it not be a good idea to have a Parody Roleplay?

Thanks for your input ;)

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    no thanks, I wouldn't want to be in a rp that has the same storyline as the show, kinda boring really, it's a very nice try though, good job anyway

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • I haven't read many parodies, but those I've seen were either parodies of Mary-Sue characters, or another type of character that really irked the author. A RP parody would have to satirize something other than characters, though, since the players create those and probably don't want to make fun of their own character. So I hope you know what the roleplay will be satirizing, and that you're confident you can steer the roleplay in the right direction for total lulz.

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I wanted to make a storyline RPG on the Battle Frontier, but I'm no good with coming up with plots for RPGs, on most sites I don't do something like sign ups, I just post free form RPGs where no one's in charge and you just jump right on in and start playing, I'm no good at plots so I was thinking would someone like to co-author a RPG set in the Battle Frontier with me, we could both think of a good plot together

Mira

restless spirit
    Years
  • I would, but I don't know anything about Battle Frontier, so...

Personally, I think it would be best if you set it up more structured and make it possible for people to sign-up to join at any time. That way there's less possibility for confusion and it's better for everyone involved :)

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    but if I try by myself, it won't get accepted, I can never think of plots when it comes to roleplays cause I'm used to just jumping right in without a sign up or a plot, I do have one idea though, a Roleplay where you start off with two starters instead of just 1, not much of a plot yet, but hey I'm still thinking

I got help now. My roleplay will now be co-owned with Shadow Thunder Lord.

Last edited:

Rii

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2009
    That might be interesting.

I don't know why my rp hasn't got approved yet. It hasn't been disapproved either though so I suppose that's a good thing. lol

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I have an idea you might could use Rii, have the players get a Pokemon egg with there starter

Rii

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2009
    Maybe not, but I could have the egg won as a prize later on or something. I wonder if the moderators have enen looked at my rp yet? :/

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Maybe not, but I could have the egg won as a prize later on or something. I wonder if the moderators have enen looked at my rp yet? :/

Let me answer your question: yes, yes they have. As for why it hasn't been approved? Because there is no plot. Seriously, there is none. All that you have established is how mind bogglingly awesome the good professor is. What the actual RPers are supposed to be doing, however, is left completely unaddressed.

That's only the start of my woes, though:

Enter Professor Nara Kasaki and her husband Misado Kasaki

Pokemon Roleplay Discussion

Really? Here I thought those were Minako and Yaten from Sailor Moon. My bad. :O

Honestly, if you're going to rip off anime fanart, at least try to make it not blatantly obvious that you're doing so. ~~ I fail to see why you saw fit to dump this huge picture in there in the first place. Pictures smack dab in the middle of a plot are really quite the eyesore and this is not really adding anything to the plot at all.

Also, how is a husband and wife combo one candidate again? It almost seems like poor Misado is here solely to explain the picture since he's not...you know, doing anything. oO

"I'd like to propose selecting the most promising new trainers to under go a test of sorts. They will each recieve a difficult starter and have to begin their journey with it. Of course this will be no easy task, as more then likely the pokemon in question may not listen to their commands. But that is the point of this challange, to take that pokemon and earn it's respect. I'd also like to study interactions between pokemon and trainer. To test whether that bond between trainer and pokemon is as strong as iron or as weak as thread."

Needless to say this proposal catches the elder Professor's attention.

Why is this needless to say? I mean, this is precisely what every pokémon professor throughout the history of the franchise has already been doing. It's hardly a novel concept.

And speaking of catching that attention, I thought she had it two paragraphs up already?

What she says has caught his interest greatly.

Needless to say the Professor was approved, and immediately moved from her home in Johto to Hohen.

Again, why is it needless to say? That's a highly disbalanced bunch of pokémon she presented (I pity the poor sap who gets stuck with a Shinx, I really do), so I don't see why it would be that impressive. Also kind of odd how the species from her own home region are not represented here.

Just...it seems like you're going out of your way to highlight what an altogether spectacular person Nara is at the expense of everything else and that just screams 'Mary-Sue 'at me. I think it would do your plot a world of good if, even for a moment, you gave the impression that you have an interest in anything besides glorifying the prof in every conceivable way. One character does not a good RP make, and right now, all I really have here is professor Kasaki's merit list. :\

Also, that's 'Challenge' and 'Hoenn'; not 'Challange' and 'Hohen'. The latter misspelling, in particular, may be conveying meanings you didn't intend it to convey.

Last edited:

Rii

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2009
    Wow, are you ever mean or what? And yes it does have a plot. She is giving them pokemon you wouldn't normally give trainers, because these are what you'd catch after you've been on the road for quite a bit of time. So more then likely the pokemon will not listen to the trainers. But really is it necessary to be that mean about the whole thing? I actually spent several days coming up with this, so that's a little harsh. After all I'm not going for an emmy here.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Yeah, my apologies for the tone there. My internet connection has been hiccuping lately and ate too earlier attempts at the post, so it was kind of like explaining the same thing three times in a row, which is not a good thing for me since I hate repeating myself.

That being said, the actual issues with the plot (and lack thereof) do still remain.

She is giving them pokemon you wouldn't normally give trainers, because these are what you'd catch after you've been on the road for quite a bit of time. So more then likely the pokemon will not listen to the trainers.

That's not a plot. That's a side-feature that can provide some entertainment value during the plot, but there's only so far you can go with nothing but quibbling little pokémon up your sleeve before they lose that value and just become as repetitive as Team Rocket blasting off again. (I'd wager a page or two at most) The whole thing is simply too focused on the professor and the professor alone. That one quote is the only reference to anything besides her that I can find and that just won't cut it for the same reason that I don't accept one-liner plots, y'know? D: I want to see something that will let the non-professor RPers know what they will be doing when the RP starts, and before you reply with a 'well, getting starters, DUH'; don't bother. I've been demanding a clear, stated starting goal for every other RP passed in this section and I'm not about to make exceptions on that front.

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I am looking for a Pokemon rp that will let me play an IC character, I've seen a lot of rps on here but none that will let me play a character from the show

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I am looking for a Pokemon rp that will let me play an IC character, I've seen a lot of rps on here but none that will let me play a character from the show

I am hoping to start a RP and you can play a character from the show on it if you want but you'll have to provide a sign-up for them.

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    ok, but where can I find the info I'll need on the IC character when I sign up, I'm very bad at posting a bio for an IC, as since its an IC you'd think I wouldn't need a bio at all, normally everyone knows all about the IC characters

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • ok, but where can I find the info I'll need on the IC character when I sign up, I'm very bad at posting a bio for an IC, as since its an IC you'd think I wouldn't need a bio at all, normally everyone knows all about the IC characters

Well some people don't ( me not included ) if you need info you can find it on sites like Serebii and stuff, another idea is to base character on an actual character. Also the RP is most likely to be set in Johto and there will be Four Pokemon to choose from the Three original starters and a Wildcard, but if there is a really good SU after the First Four then I might allow another Wildcard.

Last edited:
    Back