• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen So what's the deal with the Lavender Town music?

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I dont really understand what you mean but I assume it has something to do with the Beta music they had for it, apparently had sounds that were at a high frequency that would cause things like nausea and headaches amoungst children. There is a thread about it somewhere here. I'll edit it into my post if I find it.

*EDIT* I couldnt find the thread sorry.
    There is also this page, it has a link to the Beta music for Lavender Town http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Unused_soundtracks

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    It's in the Creepypasta thread somewhere in this forum. I lost it.

Anyway, there's no real mystery. It just causes headaches in my head. It's all in your head.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • It's like some type of ghost town, which is why the music is so creepy. D= I don't really like the music, and it fits more for a graveyard with some type of Death Legendary Pokemon living there, not for a town where there's a Pokemon tower, even if it has lost souls of Pokemon. >.< Creepy town. xD

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • Are you talking about the creepypasta? If so, I'll answer your question: It apparently has binaural_beats (sounds that can affect your mood). Apparently, those binaural beats caused some kids that played the game to become suicidal, depressed or simply scared so they altered the music a little bit in the American versions so no more kids suicided or felt depressed.

Note: This was information taken from a creepypasta so it could be false, althought they did change the Pokémon Red and Green's Lavender Town music in Pokémon Red and Blue.

Duragi

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2011
    It's been messed with so many times that it's difficult to get valid info about it. I say it's a myth.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • Lavender Town's music is haunting and beautiful.

Oh, and I seriously doubt they could put binaural beats on the Game Boy's measly sound system. Especially condsidering that you need stereo headphones for any kind of effect. ;)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Oh, and I seriously doubt they could put binaural beats on the Game Boy's measly sound system. Especially condsidering that you need stereo headphones for any kind of effect. ;)
    You can set the sound to stereo in the games' options, and there is a headphone slot on a Gameboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOd_gFld9c — Video description has some information.
    I always use stereo headphones, so I took the liberty of having this play for a while... It seems to be the parts like at 1:00–1:06 that eventually induce mild feelings consistent with anxiety. I think I'm a bit old to hear the full extent of the sounds though; and the feeling could just be me expecting it.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yeah, you guys are referring to the creepypasta about the suicides the music caused, if I'm not mistaken. Pretty sure that was locked? And I don't think the games would have been allowed to sell past Red and Green if the music really did cause suicide. Other than that, I quite like the Lavendar Town music. It's scary.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Yepp. Not a an angsty teen's best choice in music, at all...

There's some story behind the whole Lavender Town thing too, isn't there? Something or other about some member of the development team implanting that tune to cause the deaths of thousands or something like that...

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2011
    Oh my Gawd

i heard the original version and i fell depressed and scared and my body fells heavy and my spine is tingling.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • That's the town that had a graveyard right? That would explain the creepiness of the music.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Aaaah... this. If you guys notice, there are comparison videos between the 1.0 Japanese version and the regular versions, because it was in fact changed due to the issues it caused. The suicide is fake/exaggerated. The notes however, are of such a frequency that people tend to have difficulty hearing them as they get older. (Your hearing gets worse.) They can cause headaches and could even cause significant pain to a sensitive person, but they will probably not directly induce suicide in anyone.

I can hear the notes that cause this. They caused very mild headaches after listening to the music for a significant amount of time.

Pretty amusing, to me anyway, but hardly horrific.

Years
  • I think it was some Creepypasta about kids killing themselves because they heard the Lavender town music or something. I saw a fake creepy Youtube video about some guy's roommate dying because of some lost frequencies in the music, I don't know.

The Lavender town music creeped me out as a kid and creeps me out today, but it's just a weird myth.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • I LOVE the Lavender Town music! It reminds me of my childhood spending countless hours playing Pokémon!

Chrono

\:D/
    Years
  • Wow, o_o. Those theories are creepy, well creepypastas' are always interesting though. Well the music is suppose to sound depressing, it is a Ghost Town. All sad songs and music make people depressed, so of course children will feel depressed or scared. I didn't feel depressed when I went to Lavender Town though. o-o

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • It induces mild nausea and slight headaches to people not used to hearing such high frequencies. It also uses binarial beats to give the listener mild disease, which intensifies the symptoms. The key thing is that this only works on people who aren't used to this sort of thing (which is why it only happens for some people). you are probably refering to the creepy pasta (which takes more searching to find than it should) which is located here: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1709422

Back