• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Evolving backwards?

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
If I recall, there was a pokemon card quite a while ago (I think it was Mew or something) that could de-evolve yours or the opponents pokemon. I personally would like to see this come into play in X/Y as it would help if you wanted to get moves that are only learned by basic or stage one pokemon, without having to train the weak base stage pokemon until it learns it's move which can take upwards of 50 levels or so.

The only problem that I can think of would be moves that only post evolution mons can use (like giving magikarp hydro pump or dragn rage), so maybe impliment something similar to the move relearner, but give it a chance to go back in pokemon stage as well.

Guy

just a guy
Years
To introduce de-evolution would complicate things to a point where it shouldn't be complicated. You pointed out a major factor when you mentioned moves that a Pokémon's later stage can't learn. More than that, Pokémon isn't Digimon; they're not data that can be altered back and forth. Pokémon are treated as the equivalent to animals (or in some cases, appliances and food) in the real world, and like in the real world animals grow and they change, but in most cases, they don't revert back. So I don't think Pokémon needs to introduce de-evolution. Besides, it honestly isn't that hard to train a first stage Pokémon until it learns a move its evolution can't. Even if it's weaker in comparison, there are items to help it gain experience faster so it can level up faster.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I thought Everstones could fulfill the purpose of preventing a certain pokemon from evolving so it could learn a certain move at base form. o.o
I don't think that's what MantisboyN is referring to. He's talking about having the ability to revert a Pokémon back to its earlier stage after it evolves. That way you can teach it that certain move it can't learn post evolving and not have to hold back the Pokémon from evolving when that time reaches.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
I'm with Aerilyn in the whole "Pokemon aren't digital" (save for Porygon and its evos.) thing. Also agreeing that it's not that hard to raise a Pokemon up to a certain level to teach it a move it can't learn via evolving. So yeah, I don't think de-evolving will ever happen ^^;

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
De-evolving your opponent's Pokemon? Wow, hold on. Wouldn't that be just cheap? Since you're reducing his stats way below? And what if your opponent does it to you? Do you have to evolve it again?!

But.. what if this Generation is based on digital stuffs? And could make Porygon's digital DNA de-evolve some Pokemon? x|

Last edited:
Years
I wouldn't like to see this. It complicates things too much for it's potential benefits. If you want to have an evolved Pokemon learn something it could only learn when it wasn't fully evolved (which to my mind isn't something that you'd have to do that often) there could be a special move tutor who could do this for you for a heart scale or whatever other item and that would suffice.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
This is a bad idea period, for all the reasons suggested above, it'd make the system too complicated when simply a move tutor would suffice

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Oh I'm full of bad ideas! Thanks for tearing my idea apart, though. You really got me good.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Oh I'm full of bad ideas! Thanks for tearing my idea apart, though. You really got me good.
I don't think anyone was trying to tear down your idea. They were simply stating why they believed that having the capability to de-evolve one's Pokémon probably isn't best suited for the games when there are other alternatives that could be used instead. It happens.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
I don't think anyone was trying to tear down your idea. They were simply stating why they believed that having the capability to de-evolve one's Pokémon probably isn't best suited for the games when there are other alternatives that could be used instead. It happens.

I did like the idea that was mentioned above about letting the move tutor teach moves that you might have missed by letting your pokemon evolve too early.

There should always be a second chance for things like this, I mean unless you look up a guide online you wont know when exactly is the best time to let your pokemon evolve. Especially in gen 6 now, we will all be in the dark when it comes to the new pokemon and this series is mostly marketed towards kids, generally they would want their pokemon to evolve ASAP.

If you think about it, there are many MANY ways to permanently ruin your pokemon without doing prior research and to be honest, for a video game that is primarily aimed at kids, that is just wrong.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I guess it would be amusing to see, but I feel that if it evolves, it evolves, if you want it back to the previous stage, why not just keep it like that?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That sounds...uncomfortable. Think about it. Working hard to evolve and then doing so, only to de-volve them later for whatever reason. idk, if you want a certain move that much, just deal with the Everstone and wait on it to get said move. De-volving sounds down right painful and counterproductive.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
That sounds...uncomfortable. Think about it. Working hard to evolve and then doing so, only to de-volve them later for whatever reason. idk, if you want a certain move that much, just deal with the Everstone and wait on it to get said move. De-volving sounds down right painful and counterproductive.

Pokemon are made to battle for FUN and devolving sounds painful to you? Nevermind all the hyper beams, flamethrowers, shadow balls, crunches, bites, body slams, psychic attacks, ETC. they have to deal with THIS is what gives you pause?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I don't think there will be any method of de-evolving your Pokémon in Pokémon X and Y. Though it would be nice to have some place that can de-evolve your Pokémon in a similar manor to the Pokémon Trading Card Game in a way.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
I don't think there will be any method of de-evolving your Pokémon in Pokémon X and Y. Though it would be nice to have some place that can de-evolve your Pokémon in a similar manor to the Pokémon Trading Card Game in a way.

As was mentioned, the only reason why you would want to devolve your pokemon would be to obtain pre evolution moves. It would be much simpler to just let the move tutor teach a pokemon it's pre evolution moves for a price.

Back