• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System) Discussion Thread

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • tumblr_kz6xqf6H4Q1qb2ny2o1_500.jpg
    PC's Super Nintendo Entertainment System Discussion Thread

I decided to make a Super Nintendo Entertainment System Thread, as an attempt to appreciate the memories that we had from playing this console, or at least, hearing all about it! So then, why don't we just sit back, and see what we like or don't like about this console, and it's games! And yes, I'm making it so that this thread can become bumpable at anytime. So, what kinds of things would you like to say about the SNES?

Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
    Company From: Nintendo.
    Dates released: Japan: November 21, 1990, US: August 23, 1991, Europe: UK and Ireland April 11, 1992. Rest of Europe June 6, 1992.
    Software format: Cartridges.
    Units Sold: Worldwide: 49.10 million
    Graphics: 16-bit
    Controllers: The Super Nintendo Controller.
    Best-selling game: Super Mario World (20.60 million)
    Predecessor: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    Successor: Nintendo 64​

What were the games that you remember playing? You can share all of your favourite, and least favourite games to play here! You can provide a list, provide images, or some other forums of explanation. How about music Tracks? What sorts of music tracks did you love to listen to while playing the games? You're also free to list your favourites here!Well, these are all just examples on what you can talk about here; you can honestly talk about anything that's SNES related here! All of your experiences, and so on. Feel free to discuss any and all thoughts!

Yukari

The SNES... That brings back great memories of Super Mario, Megaman, Donkey Kong, and Street Fighter 2. Along With the GBA and original Nintendo Entertainment System it was one of the consoles I grew up playing. But it's my favorite. My favorite game would definitely be Megaman X; because when I was what? 6? I was obsessed with Sci-Fi and Technology. Another favorite would be Super Mario All-Stars. I never actually had Super Mario World, (I got the GBA remake) but All-Stars kept me entertained. I'm just disappointed that I never got to play LoZ: A link to the Past and Chrono Trigger. I would have loved for those to be a part of my childhood.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I played a lot of Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart. I was blown away by the graphics on Donkey Kong Country 2. I also played Aladdin often.

I still play mine from time to time. Looks all nice and pixely clean

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This is actually the system I grew up on. We played Super Mario All-Stars (the cart with Super Mario World also included) and a combo cart with Tetris and Dr. Mario. So much fun! I've been working on my library for it lately. I bought A Link to the Past a few weeks ago and have been enjoying that! My sister also bought Super Metroid, but we're terrible at it. I'm hoping to get some more games as I see them turn up in Replays. I really hope I can get my hands on a copy of Earthbound one day. ;o;

I also really enjoy the Super Game Boy! So cool seeing Pokemon Yellow on a tv screen. :)

Yukari

I really hope I can get my hands on a copy of Earthbound one day. ;o;
    It's pretty easy to find nowadays since it's in such high demand. I've even seen it on the shelves of game stores that I visit. But it goes for a lot of money as we all know...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yeah, that's the issue. :( It usually sells for $35 at my local game store, but they've rarely gotten it in. A guy I know that works there said he's seen it show up like...once in two years.

Yukari

Yeah, that's the issue. :( It usually sells for $35 at my local game store, but they've rarely gotten it in. A guy I know that works there said he's seen it show up like...once in two years.
    Wow! :O Just $35? Yeah... I wish that the game store I visit sold it for that price. It costs $275 there.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • The SNES is home to a lot of my most favorite games ever. I constantly play Illusion of Gaia, Starfox, Mario, my Super Gameboy, and Knights of the round. The games from that era were simpler but still held all of the fun. Nobody worried about graphics, it was all just gameplay and storyline.

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
    Years
  • The SNES is my favourite console of all time. Funny considering I never really played SNES at all since about 2-3 years ago when I started playing retro games like Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and Super Mario World. There's a lot to talk about in this subject for me. The high spot on the SNES for me was RPG's. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, you know the rest. :P
    I did try the Donkey Kong Country games once, also, and, no joke, I did not like them.
    It's a shame Nintendo doesn't really make that many quality games anymore. Probably the only one that we'll be getting in the near future is Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Here's a gem I haven't played in a while!

I know, I'm a street fighter fanatic, but gods, street fighter 2 was amazing. The only CPU I had trouble with was Vega, cause he always had this tough patter to follow, ugh. Eventually, the pattern was down, so, you could counter him, but, it's still tough on the hardest mode, hehe. Loved playing as Ken back then. :3

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • The SNES...even tho it hasn't many RPGs, it sure has the best RPGs of all time xD. Illusions of Gaia, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI (or IV), Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. One of the best consoles of all time.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    There were so many favorites for me, anything by Nintendo was great. I played a lot of Aerobiz Supersonic, Mega Man X, the Final Fantasy games, which jump to mind.

My least favorites would probably have to be James Bond Jr. (glitchy) and Shaq Fu (A game where you can't figure out how characters do special moves)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • The SNES...even tho it hasn't many RPGs, it sure has the best RPGs of all time xD. Illusions of Gaia, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI (or IV), Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. One of the best consoles of all time.
    The SNES has lots of RPGs. What do you mean?

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • The SNES has lots of RPGs. What do you mean?

Um, no. Maybe they have lots of Japan only RPGs. What I mean is, RPGs or JRPGs that have been translated to English or another language. Maybe you're right, gonna be honest here, I don't really know. Maybe it's because I played them all and beaten them all, haha. But I remember I tried to search RPGs,and I found only RPGs that haven't been released outside Japan.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Gamefaqs shows 3 pages worth of RPGs on the Super Nintendo, a lot are in english but we're talking about the days when localisation teams dragged games through bing translate hell and back again.

It's funny I saw this since I was just playing (recording) Go Go Ackman, which is some platformer on the SNES. I found a nice translationg too but I've already read the manga but still its nice.

Here's the cover:
    Spoiler:

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
    Years
  • Ah, the Super NES...
    It's still sitting in my room, with Super Mario World sitting in the cartridge slot, ready to be played, along with many more (SMAS, MK 1/3, DKC 1/2, Star Fox, F-Zero, PilotWings, ALTTP, etc...)

And Super Mario World (my favorite videogame EVER, period.) is the only game I can ROM hack proficiently.

Heir

/EYES SUSPICIOUSLY
    Years
  • Has anyone played Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes back? Or as I like to call it, Depression Simulator? That game is unbelievably hard, I've never even gotten past the 3rd level.

Back