• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
-Focus Sash: ensures that I get a Shell Smash in, but that makes me more prone to priority

Just going to state personal experiences here, I used focus sash w/ cloyster and it worked really well imo. Due to team preview you can generally see what'd be likely to use priority, so I kinda killed them off first and then used cloyster to finish it off, yes priority was annoying when I didn't notice the Scizor at first but even with one shell smash it worked really well tbh against most others. Sash definitely can be useful.

(Also life orb doesn't increase speed t3chwolf3, so I don't know why speed was mentioned in relation to that :x)

Years

(Also life orb doesn't increase speed t3chwolf3, so I don't know why speed was mentioned in relation to that :x)

I know that, but I just realized I didn't need to put that, ooops (how embarrassing lol) but the Lum Berry and White Herb are if you're sure or mostly certain they will use status ailments and/or stat decreases. I just depends on how you plan on using the Cloyster

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I know that, but I just realized I didn't need to put that, ooops (how embarrassing lol) but the Lum Berry and White Herb are if you're sure or mostly certain they will use status ailments and/or stat decreases. I just depends on how you plan on using the Cloyster

Well actually status ailments are quite common in competitive play, w-o-w, toxic and paralysis all being annoying in their own way, and pretty much every team would have at least one Pokemon that'd cause some kind of status. And basically nobody ever decreases the opponent's stats because they can just switch out (unless it's with something like bug buzz which lowers the spD by chance rather than on purpose), so the real issue is white herb is used to restore the decreased defense stat on Cloyster (since shell smash decreases defenses both physical/special).

Years

Well actually status ailments are quite common in competitive play, w-o-w, toxic and paralysis all being annoying in their own way, and pretty much every team would have at least one Pokemon that'd cause some kind of status. And basically nobody ever decreases the opponent's stats because they can just switch out (unless it's with something like bug buzz which lowers the spD by chance rather than on purpose), so the real issue is white herb is used to restore the decreased defense stat on Cloyster (since shell smash decreases defenses both physical/special).

Not only has he got the item suggestion he needs from you, I learned stuffs too lol

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I took a look at the move and Cloyster, and I personally would rather use the life orb as it's speed isn't too high and the White Herb would be used up right then if they use a stat move (my first recommendation lol)

Stat-lowering moves are hardly used in competitive battles. The more probable way that White Herb would get burned up is if something with Intimidate were to switch in; and Intimidate has nothing to do with speed. White Herb is perfectly viable on Cloyster, and imo its best option.

Years
Virizion moveset anyone?

I wonder if anyone have a good moveset for Virizion. I'm thinking of a Timid Virizion with a Focus Blast. But the the problem is, Focus Blast has a low accuracy and I can't really hit someone when I'm in a need to use it.

Any recommendation would be a great help. Thank you.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Well if Focus Blasts accuracy worries you, you could try a physical build. It has some advantages over the special build;

1. Swords Dance lets Virizion set up twice as fast as Calm Mind.
2. Close Combat has higher accuracy.
3. Sacred Sword avoids stat changes.
4. Better Grass STAB in the form of Leaf Blade, I believe.

So something like-

Jolly Virizion @ Life Orb/Leftovers 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Close Combat
-Leaf Blade
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance

Stone Edge also lets you hit Flying and Bug types that resist both your STABs, and lets you hit Fire types.

Hope this helps.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Virizion can also use Hidden Power Ice instead of Stone Edge on the set mentioned so it can hit Gliscor harder.

JordanD

Mark danced crazy
Years
Maybe dual screens could work
Bold nature EV's 148 HP 252 defense 100 sp. defense 8 sp.attack
Light screen
Reflect
Toxic/HP ice/HP rock/HP ghost
giga drain with light clay
I dunno it it would be any good i never used and probably never will use it

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Any Ideas for an Ice Type Team?

I'm planning to use Abomasnow for Snow Warning, holding a Focus Sash. I also got Glaceon, Walrein, and Frosslass. I'm thinking about putting Weavile. But I'm missing a Frost Rotom and a Articuno. I don't have them at my Pokedex. Should I try GTS negotiations?

Anti

return of the king
Years
This seems to be more in the planning stage. It certainly doesn't warrant its own thread because there is basically nothing for raters to work with. The Simple Q&A sticky is your best bet for requests like this, so I'll move it there.

gee2k8

Slicker than your average
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 24, 2013
Hey guys,
Me and my friends recently pulled out our old GBA's and started an adventure on red/blue with the intention to get to a desired level and battle. We added a twist, this being that we randomly generate one pokemon that we have to use in the battle.
Unfortunatly i ended up with 'Muk'. Though by far not the worst Pokemon, i am aware of his massive type weaknesses and his shoddy movepool. I am further restricted by the lack of tms in this game (without gameshark) body slam, Mega drain(i think its called) and thunderbolt are already taken by more important members of my squad such as Snorlax, Chansey and Exeggutor to name a few.
I so far have the current moveset in mind for him based on my restrictions:
-Explosion
-Sludge
- (insert here)
- (insert here)
I would appreciate any advice as to what moves/strategy i could use to fill the 2 spots left.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Hey guys,
Me and my friends recently pulled out our old GBA's and started an adventure on red/blue with the intention to get to a desired level and battle. We added a twist, this being that we randomly generate one pokemon that we have to use in the battle.
Unfortunatly i ended up with 'Muk'. Though by far not the worst Pokemon, i am aware of his massive type weaknesses and his shoddy movepool. I am further restricted by the lack of tms in this game (without gameshark) body slam, Mega drain(i think its called) and thunderbolt are already taken by more important members of my squad such as Snorlax, Chansey and Exeggutor to name a few.
I so far have the current moveset in mind for him based on my restrictions:
-Explosion
-Sludge
- (insert here)
- (insert here)
I would appreciate any advice as to what moves/strategy i could use to fill the 2 spots left.

Use the Missingno clone glitch to get more TM's. :)

Sadly Muk is aot better in GSC, Curse Muk was/is so cool. ;;

Anyway, your best bet;

Muk
- Explosion
- Sludge
- Body Slam
- Screech / Mega Drain / Thunder

Explosion and Sludge are a given. Body Slam is pretty awesome for paralysis and wins games in RBY. It also cripples common switch ins. Last slot is up to you, Screech can help you do more damage and possibly spread paralysis around their team by causing switches. Mega Drain is your only option vs Golem and Rhydon, dont expect it to do much outside of that and lastly Thunder can hit Slowbro and Starmie for ok damage. Plus it actually lets you touch Gengar who totally walls you otherwise.

Other than that your best bet in the last slot is a filler like Hyper Beam or Mimic. :/

gee2k8

Slicker than your average
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 24, 2013
Use the Missingno clone glitch to get more TM's. :)

Sadly Muk is aot better in GSC, Curse Muk was/is so cool. ;;

Anyway, your best bet;

Muk
- Explosion
- Sludge
- Body Slam
- Screech / Mega Drain / Thunder

Explosion and Sludge are a given. Body Slam is pretty awesome for paralysis and wins games in RBY. It also cripples common switch ins. Last slot is up to you, Screech can help you do more damage and possibly spread paralysis around their team by causing switches. Mega Drain is your only option vs Golem and Rhydon, dont expect it to do much outside of that and lastly Thunder can hit Slowbro and Starmie for ok damage. Plus it actually lets you touch Gengar who totally walls you otherwise.

Other than that your best bet in the last slot is a filler like Hyper Beam or Mimic. :/

Thanks, you have some amazingly fresh knowledge considering this was some time ago. I dont think any of us are going to rely on any cheats/Glitches i wanna play the game as a purest tbh. But i do appreciate the help and i will prolly try using this set based on your advice:

Sludge
Explosion
Thunder
Screech/Mimic/Hyper Beam (desperate selection but i doubt i will use any of them)

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I seriously just can't stand it anymore!!!

Okay, I just now played 5 consecutive battles without stopping. Online play on my DS White version. I LOST EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
Why?
DRAGONITE. ALL 5 BATTLES I JUST PARTICIPATED IN ALL RAN A DRAGONITE, WHICH PROCEEDED TO RAPE MY TEAM UNMERCIFULLY.
Dragonite is the bane of my competitive pokemon existence. I can't stand that Dragon S.O.B., It's driving me nuts, even when I try to take it down with the stereotypical Ice Beam/Ice Punch, sure enough it still enjoys completely destroying me.

So I MUST know, what is the ultimate Dragonite Killer? What pokemon can I bring out on the field in a hurry and destroy a Dragonite without worrying about being 1HKO'ed by the jerk?

On a side note: I now officially honor Dragonite with the title: "Most Rage Hated Pokemon."

I'm thinking of running a Weaville but not sure, I want something capable of embarrassing a Dragonite, that's fast, can take a few hits, and preferably specializes in Special Attack.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
OK, don't be so mean to Dragonites! :( Dragonites are my favorite pokemon in the whole wide world! I love mine so much, and I hate to see someone shoot them down just because they are so totally BAOSS. XP

BUT! If you want a Pokemon that could possibly take down the 2nd greatest non-legendary, try a Lapras. Heck, even raise a Dragonite of your own. Lapras is probably the best ice type around imo. And don't forget Dragons are weak against themselves. Plus a Dragonite can learn ice beam and of course dragon type moves, so it can be a "self killer".

Oh, and do you mind telling me the movesets the Dragonites that destroyed you, had? It would be a great help for me since I raise Dragonites and shizz. :D

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I copied this straight from Smogon, I hope it helps:

Dragonite is so versatile that one can forget about finding a surefire counter at the outset. However, fast Ground-types and bulky Steel-types, such as Jirachi, Landorus, and Scizor, are fairly good checks and revenge killers, particularly to the Parashuffler set. The Parashuffler set is also vulnerable to Taunt, which locks Dragonite into Dragon Tail. In general, Dragonite abhors status ailments and residual damage of all sorts. This makes Tyranitar and Hippowdon great assets for combating it, as both have Sand Stream and Stealth Rock to make Multiscale more difficult to use.
A few defensive Pokemon deal with Dragonite fairly well. Cresselia is a good check for most Dragonite sets, but it has a hard time with the Parashuffler set unless it can catch it outside of a Substitute, or if Cresselia is the last Pokemon. Hippowdon and Skarmory are good checks to Dragon Dance variants, but they do not deal with other sets so well due to phazing, special attacks, or sheer power.
Cloyster and Haxorus deserve special mentions. While it is not advisable for either Pokemon to switch directly into Dragonite, Cloyster can take a physical attack from Dragonite, use Shell Smash, and start a sweep with Icicle Spear, which hits through Multiscale. Haxorus has Mold Breaker and an extremely high 147 base Attack, which means that it will deal very heavy damage to Dragonite with Outrage, ignoring Multiscale.

Source: www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/dragonite

I think what annoys you the most is Multiscale, my dragonite has it and ice beams and draco meteors won't OHKO it.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I swear to god, every Dragonite I fought had generally the same build.
Ability: Multiscale
Extreme speed <- This killed all of my support pokemon!!! Bah Humbug...
Thunder Wave <- THANK YOU FOR THE CONSTANT PARALYSIS.
Outrage <- This I didn't have many qualms about. Basic OP attack that goes on repeatedly...
Dragon Tail <- DERP... Hope you like Death and Entry Hazards!

Now for a couple of them, they may have replaced Dragon Tail or Outrage with something else based on their team build, but I swear to god every single Dragonite seems to have T-Wave and Extreme Speed, which were the main source of my RAGE.

I did something for the first time ever. In the middle of my 5th battle AGAINST A DRAGONITE OF COURSE, I Rage Quit so hard that I turned off my DS in the middle of the battle.

I normally never do this because I have this sort of warriors pride, if I was defeated, it means you are better than me and deserve that win... but I was so freaking mad after 5 CONSECUTIVE DRAGONITE BATTLES, that I refused to acknowledge the other persons victory and just shut off my DS.(Mind you I didn't turn off my DS once the battle was over. I turned off the DS after having two of my pokemon T-Waved and Extreme Speed/Outrage'd to death. With one pokemon left I couldn't go through with it. So DS went off.) I felt like if another Dragonite murdered me I would have torn out some of my hair or something.

Edit: As a side note, can I ask something else. I heard somebody a while ago talk about something called Para-flinching (The concept of what it is seemed obvious based on the name). I had never heard of it at the time but then I started noticing in online play, that when someone T-Waves me, they will start cornering me with Flinch moves and then I can't do anything.
So is this a glitch, a hack, or is this just a common pokemon mechanic/tactic?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Paraflinching is an uncommon tactic used by Togekiss and Jirachi (and Dunsparce and Rotom-S to an extent). I think you're screwed over by that tactic because those opponents have Serene Grace, which doubles the chances of secondary effects happening, flinches included. So when you factor in the 25% chance of full paralysis with the 40-60% chance of flinching (depending on the move), your chances of launching a successful attack have been reduced.

Here are the paraflinching sets that are commonly used:

Togekiss:
-Thunder Wave/Body Slam
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere//Flamethrower/Nasty Plot
-Roost
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace

Jirachi
-Iron Head
-Body Slam/Thunder Wave
-Wish
-Fire Punch/Protect/Stealth Rock
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/224 SDef/32 Spe

Or
-Body Slam/Thunder Wave
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-Substitute
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe

I think you can counter (or at least check) Dragonite by having Stealth Rock on the field. That way, it takes damage from it, negating Multiscale, leaving you free to KO it with whatever Ice, Rock or Dragon move you may have.

Sap Sipper

Terrified of Bad Luck.
Years
There's a simple reason as to why you always seem to battle people using Dragonite - it's the most commonly used Pokèmon in OU at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong). The sets you say you battle against are common because they are good sets - the best it can use - so of course people would use them.

Paraflinching isn't a glitch or anything like that - it's just someone using the chances of a move having a secondary effect to their advantage, and yes, it's unbelievably annoying.

There's a simple reason as to why you always seem to battle people using Dragonite - it's the most commonly used Pokèmon in OU at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong). The sets you say you battle against are common because they are good sets - the best it can use - so of course people would use them.

Paraflinching isn't a glitch or anything like that - it's just someone using the chances of a move having a secondary effect to their advantage, and yes, it's unbelievably annoying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back