• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

romance stuff

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Do you tend to favor reading stories that include romance, or lack it? Do you prefer writing about love or skipping it?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I don't really like love in my stories. Whether I'm reading or writing, it doesn't matter. I like it when it's more or less on the side, but I can't take romance novels very seriously.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Well, I'm a casual multishipper, so... I read a lot of romance fics. They cute and you don't get that in canon. Mostly one-shots or relationship development over time. But in original works, a focus on romance puts me off most of the time. People like to present romantic relationships as the most important thing a person could have and I don't like that view.
    When I write, I try to keep the romance in the background for fics with an extensive plot. I like developing all sorts of relationships, not just romantic. But my one-shots are usually ship-oriented, sooo.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I'm more of a suspense person, but I don't really mind when it comes if it's written good. When I used to write, I actually did write more about love more since it seemed a lot easier. My girlfriend on the other hand, loves everything related to love stories. She likes those stories with sexy things.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF jk

Well, I tend to read a lot of fanfictions (some over and over again), action, magic, fantasy, and suspense are nice, but sometimes a well written romance can make it a million times better. Especially if's cute or an completely unexpected pairing.

On the other hand, romance novels are a big no for me. I see them sometimes and I always ask myself, who in the world reads these things?

Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I see them sometimes and I always ask myself, who in the world reads these things?
    A part of their popularity is the idea of wish fulfillment. People read romance novels when they're tired of the way their romantic lives are going, so instead of dealing with that mess, they read books about the subject. Why deal with men in the real world when there's a fantasy of a strong handsome man who's horrifically sweet and kind, saying the exact right things at the exact right time?

I don't read romance novels myself, so I don't know exactly what's out there. That's just what I heard from people trying to explain the popularity of Twilight, for instance.

I do write romance though. Generally, the romance is a sub-plot, or happens mostly off-screen. But the relationship still develops. I only have one fic where the romantic relationship is a big part of the plot.

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Puddle said:
    I'm more of a suspense person, but I don't really mind when it comes if it's written good.
    Yeah, there's nothing more painful than a poorly written romance. It can enhance a story and give the main character a range of emotion if done well, but I cringe at the thought of it being written poorly.

On another note, I was running my club's book sale one day. I was pretty bored, so this other girl and I started going through the romance novels (there were a lot of them to say the least). We were looking at the one-liners at the top of the back of the books and laughing at them. There was one that specifically stuck in my mind:

How could she resist a man who ate his peas?

What? XD

Bay

Years
  • I've written and read quite a few shipping fics, so with fanfiction I'm fine with romance as the characters are already developed in canon and sometimes they're already together. I don't mind romance as a side thing in novels if done decently. Otherwise, I haven't read published romance novels much as those tend to drag on a bit.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    How could she resist a man who ate his peas?
    dats sexy

Personally, the only fanfiction I read actively are the ones featuring romance. Most often between characters I had wanted to get together but never got the proper chance xD It's a way to get a conclusion to your frustration of watching a not-enough-romantic show, I guess. I'm a sucker for love and romance. Yep.

But when I write, I don't think I've ever focused on romance. There's been sideplots, maybe insinuated stuff, but never really with romance as the central theme. Not sure why this is. Perhaps I've read too much fanfiction and don't believe in my own capability of producing equally heartfelt scenes with my own skills, haha.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I prefer romance when it is on the side, or subtle. I wouldn't choose to read a fan-fiction or a novel that had a focus on relationships or love.

Personally, when I'm writing, I prefer to give hints of crushes or affection rather than write a full blown couple of lovey-dovey dating.

Shhmew

Years
  • I am a sucker for romance hehe. I don't necessarily like it to be the point of a story all the time, but when romance happens in stories I get all smile-y and happy and excited for them.

In writing, romance is one of my favorite things to write about. I can't keep it away from anything I write lol >.> It's just so interesting to me.

I just love that stuff haha whoops.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I'm not a romance novel person....However....

Romance in novels in general is an pretty much a must for me. Whether it's a full out relationship or more along the lines of sexual tension between character. It just has to be there if not then I expect a damn good reason as to why a character is opposed to romance. I particularly dislike it when book, mainly fantasy, have groups of, mostly teenage, characters of different genders and just pretend that hormones don't exist.

I hold the same virtues when I write. There is nearly always some level of romance or love in my stories. Though I haven't wrote an actual love scene in awhile.

Last edited:
    Back