• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen "Every Friday, you can hear Pokemon roars form deep inside the cave."

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
  • Yes, you read it right :3

I am talking about the Pokemaniac you can find inside Union Cave, nearly at the end when you get to Azalea Town. When you defeat this guy, he tells you about roars that can be heard every friday from deep within Union Cave. You can't actually hear the noises, but it's true that every Friday, a Pokemon will appear far inside this cave.

Since I was a kid and my first game was Pokemon Gold, I was always intrigued by what this guy was referring to. What kind of Pokemon is he talking about? How and when will I get there? I never understood this for a long time and decided to let this thing kinda go by and never returned or paid any attention to it.

After I got older and more experienced though, I actually learned that you could catch a wild Lapras in Union Cave every single Friday. So that must have been the Pokemon that Pokemaniac is referring to. So, I was playing Pokemon Crystal at the time, and as soon as I got the 4th badge from Morty (you need Surf) I went back into Union Cave to catch the Lapras. :3
    It's actually one of my favourite Water-Pokemon and I always picked Cyndaquil so it was a great addition to my team.

So, have you guys even bothered to return to Union Cave and find out what this guy was meaning? Did you ever catch Lapras and/or used it in your team? And how (soon) did you find out about this?

Please let me know, discuss! :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Yep, I went back and caught Lapras. I think I found about it from a friend's guide, though I might have just aimlessly wandered through Union Cave. Can't remember exactly. I didn't use it as part of my team (though I did breed a fresh one that I used on a Silver playthrough at some point), but it helped me complete my Pokedex, and it made for a nice start to the weekend. Lapras reappeared every Friday, so I recall going back a couple of times, until I figured out I could just breed it and save myself the trip.

Years
  • Yeah, in quite a few of my GSC plays I would get that Lapras. What with it being my favorite Pokémon of all time, of course i'd use it once in a while. It was bulky and had some good coverage to utilize.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • Not once did I catch Lapras in GSC, I was completely unaware of this until I played a similar ROM hack that allowed the player to catch Lapras. That game is full of quality Water types, and Lapras is among the best of them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I did manage to catch Lapras once before. I had no idea how I managed to run into it; was exploring this cave, saw its over-world roaming, clicked, and got into an immediate battle. It surprised me extremely, haha.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I never saw or caught Lapras in Union Cave. The "roars inside the cave" I didn't take much notice to.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I didn't ever explore union cave until I got heartgold, so I guess it doesn't count. But I never clicked on to it or even heard about it when playing through Gold originally. I think Lapras eludes me. I didn't know about it in red/blue, I didn't know until I got yellow. And in X&Y I didn't know you could get Lapras till two weeks ago.

I guess its that one pokemon that I'm too stupid to know about! lol.

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
  • I took note of the daily events when I played Gold as a kid. I went back to catch myself a Lapras. It stayed boxed forever though.

Years
  • I remember wanting this precious baby so much but constantly forgetting to check the cave on Fridays. ;_; When I finally got my Lapras after tons of effort chucking Pokeballs I was so happy and even made an effort to swap an existing team member with it. Hard to train but very worth it. :)

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I actually didn't know about the Lapras during my playthroughs of GSC, and I especially didn't know about it in HGSS until I accidentally discovered it on my own. One day I decided to explore places that only could be reached by surfing, and one of these places was Union Cave. I wasn't suspecting anything interesting as I went along battling trainers when suddenly I saw a Lapras swimming on a body of water right at the end of the cave. Caught it, but didn't use it as I already had a full team of trained Pokemon.

Rettan

~Oddish_Smoker~
    Years
  • Omg this is actually true, I always picked Cyndaquil and using Surf was a pain in the @$$, Always having to give it to an HM slave to capture a water pokemon and then teach it Surf.
    Now that you mention it, Lapras could come pretty useful o_o

Raging Umbreon

Pkmn Trainer
    Years
  • I caught Lapras in my Silver only because a friend I went to school with was playing Gold at the time and he told me about the Lapras event on friday. Never realy used it much for battle or for HM purposes. My Feraligatr already knew Surf and I think I had another water type already for Waterfall and Whirlpool.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I probably would've never known about the Lapras until I was much older had I not been told about it by someone else. As a child, I wasn't one to pay attention to Trainers' dialogue all that much. When I did hear about it, though, I went back the following Friday to capture it in my Gold. Since I had already beaten the game (if memory serves), it just ended up in my box, haha.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I went back and caught Lapras once, and it turned out to be a Shiny Lapras! I was so happy, but confused as to why it was so weak (I didn't know about IVs back then...)

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2015
    the guy was actually saying "weekends" not Fridays lol , and in Japanese crystal there was (through the downloaded mobile adaptor events) unknown to most (thanks to a Nintendo rep I used to email a lot in the early days for giving me heads up and a load of leaked roms from back in a time when g/s wernt even released at the time in japan letalone the full mobile adaptor version/directors cut events of crystal)

there was actually a wild shny steelix down there though im pretty sure you couldn't see or catch it without use of mobile gb, though im quite sure (infact it says on both tcrf and bubapedia) that stadium 2 jap had the capability to utilise some of mobile gb function...

so im taking it that it could too patch in the "extras" that were downloadable from the system ,

and believe me now it was a lot more then just a stinking g/s ball sequence you could get , there was a giant long string of events that utilised all them unused maps tbh

how else did I manage to encounter a zapdos in lavender radio tower or even get up the stairs for that matter ??

(&& no it wasn't a rom hack I checked the file with roms downloaded from other sources)

anyway this was back before rom hacks were even in existence

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    I heard about it, though, I never went to check it out.
    Didn't really need it.

I might return and see for myself :]

Back