• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Eat it, metagame.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Yo, so I made a team! Its v. cute and p. good, but it loses to a lot of annoying stuff. So help me with it. Basically, for this team I took a different approach than I normally do, I decided to attempt to counter the metagame, something I normally disapprove of and discourage, but I figured, I don't know anything about 5th gen anyway, so I might as well.

Basically I wanted a bulky lead that could take on an array of leads, and then just 5 pokemon that are strong and beat a lot of stuff. I didn't want to use Skymin or Darkrai because I figured they would probably be banned soon and then I would have to redo my whole team.

So without further ado, here goes.

250px-MetagrossAnime.png

Metagross @ Leftovers Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Meteor Mash
    - Bullet Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Pursuit

YEAH! Anti-lead metagross, kinda. I'm thinking about making it Brave and running HP Fire for Nattorei, but I'm like 99% sure it won't even 2HKO without massive investment, maybe Fire Punch or something? EVs are standard, be massively bulky and hit super hard, so 252 HP and 252 Atk made the most sense to me. Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch provide STABs and a generally devestating combo in themselves. Earthquake is for opposing steels bar Nattorei, Forry and Skarmory. Pursuit is actually not what I originally had, I was running Ice Punch I think for Skymin but I kept having Deoxys-A come in and set up their hazards, and switch out, so I was like, "Hmmm Pursuit kills any chance they have of coming back in" so I ran with it, its been going pretty good. Adamant Nature is just because I wanted maximum damage output.

Kenny_Breloom.png

Breloom (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 HP / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Mach Punch
    - Spore
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge

BOOM. Big Loom comes in to save the day, most of the time. I decided to run Stone Edge instead of Seed Bomb because of the lame electric genie and hitting Shandera on the switch. Spore disables a pokemon long enough for me to get in a Swords Dance, which boosts Mach Punch's power even more. Pretty devestating. I'm thinking of running Jolly though, but the lack of firepower would be missed.

DP069.png

Toxicroak (Toxicroak) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Dry Skin
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Dark Pulse
    - Vacuum Wave

Rain counter counters rain. Honesly the only reason I have him there. Nasty Plot Croak was my favorite set in Gen 4 UU for countering Rain Dance teams and its doing a pretty good job now. Timid Nature is being used to so it can outspeed stuff like Gyarados and Dragonite (who he OHKO's with a +2 Sludge Bomb). Vacuum Wave takes out just about every Steel-type in one or two shots, and Dark Pulse hits Ghosts who resist his STABs.

Paul%27s_Honchkrow.png

Honchkrow (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Insomnia
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Superpower
    - Sucker Punch
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost

I chose this guy to counter Darkrai, although I haven't been having much luck. I was gonna use Heracross, but I figured adding a Bug/Fighting on a team that already had 2 Flying weaknesses and 2 Fire weaknesses was a poor decision. This guy also gives me a decent switchin to Ground-types and has an incredibly powerful movepool. If I can switch in on Dark Void (or Spore from Breloom) I will always beat them with Superpower or Brave Bird, respectively. Sucker Punch is to take on Lati@s and other stuff along that line.

250px-Tobias_Latios.png

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Trick
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Surf

Specs Latios is probably a top 10 favorite set of all time. Specs gives it the same boost as Soul Dew, just forces it to be locked in in one move, hey nothings perfect. Draco Meteor 2HKO's the universe. Surf provides excellent neutral coverage. Hidden Power Fire poops on Nattorei. Trick hopefully lets me incapacitate one of my opponents members, Timid so I can speed tie with opposing Latis and outpace +Spe Chomp/Mence.

Garchomp_Gliding.png

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Claw
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang

Best cleaner, ever. Besides Deoxys-A. Close second though. Honestly, this is one of the best sets in all of competitive pokemon. Dragon + Ground provides nearly perfect coverage (honestly, bugger off Skarmory -.-;). Fire Fang hits Scizor, Forry and Nattorei for 4x SE and Skarm for 2x SE (still doesn't do much to the latter), Earthquake hits most of everything, Outrage 2HKOs the universe. I love this pokemon so much words cannot express.

So yeah, rate it, hate it, deflate it. I don't care. Its actually not that great of a team in a "any well played mamoswine can 6-0 it" kind of way, but I'm thinking of running a resist berry on Metagross. Anywho, have at it.

P.S. this team is very cute, I know. ^__^

Detox

Can't do a full rate atm but I did notice you're lacking any form of entry hazards. I suggest making Metagross the standard lead set since you need rocks. Ulgamoth can come in, and if it gets a Butterfly Dance in It can take down 5 members of your team barring chomp. And considering you don't have Stealth Rock, it can virtually keep switching in with no threat (to a chomp check/counter and back in, that is.). Maybe Rocks > Pursuit?

Also I ran calcs and Honchkrow fails to OHKO it with sucker punch.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Since Breloom has Technician ill assume this is dream world. aka Breloom is utter Shandera bait. Put a Shed Shell on it.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Why Sand Veil on Garchomp? Rough Skin is more reliable, even if it isn't a Defensive Chomp.

As Syndrome previously said, your team needs Stealth Rocks or Ulgamoth and the likes will be the fall of your team.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Can't do a full rate atm but I did notice you're lacking any form of entry hazards. I suggest making Metagross the standard lead set since you need rocks. Ulgamoth can come in, and if it gets a Butterfly Dance in It can take down 5 members of your team barring chomp. And considering you don't have Stealth Rock, it can virtually keep switching in with no threat (to a chomp check/counter and back in, that is.). Maybe Rocks > Pursuit?

Also I ran calcs and Honchkrow fails to OHKO it with sucker punch.

yeah i probably will since Deo-A is getting banned. since darkrai is likely to be banned as well, honckrow can probably go too

Since Breloom has Technician ill assume this is dream world. aka Breloom is utter Shandera bait. Put a Shed Shell on it.

noted.

Why Sand Veil on Garchomp? Rough Skin is more reliable, even if it isn't a Defensive Chomp.

As Syndrome previously said, your team needs Stealth Rocks or Ulgamoth and the likes will be the fall of your team.

Sand veil is cool for taking advantage of sandstorm and i never really figured rough skin was that useful. ill give it a shot.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021

yeah i probably will since Deo-A is getting banned. since darkrai is likely to be banned as well, honckrow can probably go too.

Woah no need to get rid of Hounchkrow, just because it's Insonmia purpose is gone doesn't mean you can't use it's other ability. (Moxie)

Try this set:

Hounchkrow @ Lefovers
    Moxie
    130 HP, 126 Atk 252 Speed
    Adamant / Jolly
    - Sucker Punch
    - Brave Bird
    - Drill Peck / Pursuit
    - Substitute

This set is to revenge kill to get the Atk Boost and sweep.

Sucker Punch is for STAB and for Pokes Faster than it.

Brave Bird for STAB and to use when you do not have any Moxie Boosts,if you do have any Moxie boost though, use Drill Peck so you won't get any Recoil.

Pursuit is for Trapping to get the Moxie Boost.

With the HP investment you will have Subs. with 93 HP (correct me if I'm wrong) and with Substiture you protect yourself from RevengeKilling Ditto's and Priority.

With an Adamant nature your speed hits 241 and let's you hit everything slower than Modest Lucario and be outsped by Jolly Tyranitar. But if you are Jolly your Speed will be 265 and let you outspeed Jolly Breloom/Cloyster and Timid Ludicolo though you are outsped by Eruufun (with Sucker Punch) and Adamant Kingdra/Doryuuzu without Rain/Sand Respectivley.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Well, he himself said that Honchkrow's only purpose on the team was to check those specific threats. If those threats are gone (and they pretty much will be), then what's the purpose of having Honchkrow on the team, especially when he can replace it for other Pokemon which can actually support the rest of his team?

Back