• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Exordium

Should I make a YouTube channel to post updates (footage of game) ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Introduction: I have been on PokeCommunity for a few months, but only now have I decided to create an account mainly for a game I've been working on: Pokemon Exordium. I'm the only one working on this project, so bare with me! Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Senyu Region Details:

The Senyu Region is split up into 4 Main Islands along with 1 Minor Island (Luna Island). It is a very peaceful region, or so people think. Team Rocket exploits this and invades the region. But, could their motives also be driven from a higher power? A different evil team? Who knows!

How the story begins:

The game you will be playing is actually a story told by a mother to her two twins. Therefore, the game will be separated into chapters, some short, others very large. You will see dialogue from the mother or her two children as the story she is telling progresses.

Current Story:

You turned 16 about a week ago and you've been constantly asking your grandpa to approve your Pokemon journey so that you can leave Luna Island. Ever since you were 10, he denied you because he says your safety would have been jeopardized. He never said why though...

This time around, he actually complies with your plea and let's you go on a journey with Andrea.

Andrea was able to go on a journey 6 years ago when she was 10, but she wanted to stay with you because she doesn't want to go on a journey without her best friend.

Recently, the region's Professor, Acacia, was kidnapped by a group of unknown people. Some say she was actually murdered after she was kidnapped, but those things don't happen in the Senyu Region; the Region of peace; right? Your grandpa luckily was able to coax one of his good old pals back in the day, Professor Oak, to fill in for the time being so you could get your starter Pokemon. Professor Oak happily agrees and will meet you in Professor Acacia's old lab.

Unfortunately, things start going downhill from there, but that will be for you to explore in the Senyu Region!

Background:

Male/Female Protagonist - You're an orphan who was left at your grandpa's apartment door shortly after you were born. You don't know who or where your parents are and for some reason, your grandpa won't disclose anything about them. Through all of that, you always had the will to be a Pokemon Trainer. Your grandpa says that quality of yours reminds him of your father...

Andrea - In the room beside yours resides your best friend, Andrea. You two were pals since you were babies! Her parents go on business trips often, so they are rarely home. She is quite the girly girl as you could say. Makeup, nails done... It makes you wonder why she of all people wants to even be a Pokemon Trainer at all. Andrea is very caring and supportive, but she seems to care more about what she wants rather than what she needs.

Features:

• 4 "Weather Dojos" instead of Gyms!
    • 3 Starter Pokemon, each with their "uses" !
    • Storyline has several paths that you can take! (Your choices matter - for the most part at least)
    • A challenging, yet playable experience!
    • Custom protagonists, antagonists and story characters!
    • Unique (but not original) music played throughout the game (some towns, cities, routes, etc)

Planned Features:

• Ability to manipulate how you look to progress through the game
    • Ability to buy clothes/change your appearance (Hats, Hair-Color, Skin-Tone, etc)
    • Interact more with the world! (TV channels - You can be broadcasted LIVE, Side Quests, etc)
    • Super Secret Feature that I won't mention until later :)

Footage of game:
    Spoiler:

Current Progress:

Luna Island - (Mapping = 100% ### Eventing = 100%)
    Luna Cave - (Mapping = 40% ### Eventing = 20% *Rest is explored later in game*)
    Senyu Cruise Ship - (Mapping = 100% ### Eventing = 100%)
    Solus Town - (Mapping = 100% ### Eventing = 100%)
    Route 1 - (Mapping = 100% ### Eventing = 100%)
    Aliena Forest - (Mapping = 100% ### Eventing = 100%)
    ??? - (Mapping = 95% ### Eventing = 95%)
    Aliena Village - (Mapping = 100% ### Eventing = 0%)
    ###More areas will be added once I get to them###

Youtube for Pokemon Exordium: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQol9_xcO-UlqYfbLXQIkQ

Tools to make Pokemon Exordium:

• Pokemon RPG Maker XP
    • Pokemon Essentials

Special Thanks To...

• Maruno - For making Pokemon Essentials

Last edited:

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    *Note - All starters have their dream world abilities.

STARTERS

Lileep:

Pros:
    • Counters "Rain Dojo" - (Storm Drain makes it immune to all water based attacks)
    • Can take a lot of damage
    • Gains 50% SpD in "Sand Dojo"

Cons:
    • Doesn't deal a lot of damage back
    • Vulnerable inside the "Hail Dojo"

Slowpoke:

Pros:
    • High survival rate with its ability "Regenerator"
    • Can take in damage and deal some back
    • Water attacks are powered up in "Rain Dojo"

Cons:
    • Water attacks are weakened in the "Sun Dojo"

Vulpix:

Pros:
    • Its ability "Drought" boosts its fire attacks by 50%
    • Its ability "Drought" can cancel out other weather effects
    • Deals high amounts of damage with its fire-type attacks

Cons:
    • Very frail (Won't survive many hits)
    • It's ability "Drought" can weaken moves on your other Pokemon

Last edited:

Benjamin Kuli

Mahagon
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    Can't wait for the actual demo. :) The starter choices are interesting, even thought it's still the usual "rock-paper-scissors" scheme, still it is something different, or at least has different elements.

I have some questions and comments about the project, though:

Aren't TV Broadcast was featured in Emerald already? Or will it be completely different from that?
    What is the difference between Dojos and Gyms?
    Will the game have different endings according to our choices?

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Can't wait for the actual demo. :) The starter choices are interesting, even thought it's still the usual "rock-paper-scissors" scheme, still it is something different, or at least has different elements.

I have some questions and comments about the project, though:

Aren't TV Broadcast was featured in Emerald already? Or will it be completely different from that?
    What is the difference between Dojos and Gyms?
    Will the game have different endings according to our choices?

1.) As you become more known in the Senyu Region, News Reporters will appear and ask if you want to be broadcasted on live television. This can affect how some people think of others, yourself, or the region in general. The impact you have depends on how known you are.

2.) The Leader's of the 4 Dojos will have a team based on the weather effect they master, not by typing. This will allow them to have more of a variety of Pokemon at their disposal. This also means you can't just walk in expecting one Pokemon on your team to sweep the Dojo Leaders.

3.) Yes, this game will have several endings depending on your choices. You could be the Hero or even join the antagonists of the game. Maybe you will fool the antagonists you join and use the information you obtained to help out the other protagonists/friends. But of course, with all these choices requires a HUGE amount of eventing, which I actually enjoy (atleast most of the time haha).

Extra info: You can develop relationships with some NPCs and they will help you in return. As an example, maybe you can help out a Pokemart salesman and he will give you some deals on his items.

Benjamin Kuli

Mahagon
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    1. Oh, I see. It is indeed different how TV broadcast worked in Emerald. :) It actually sounds like a nice idea. But it means if you made a bad decision (a really bad one), it can affect the whole region in a negative way?

2. It is actually a much better way than Pokémon Gyms. It gives an actual challenge instead of an easy rush-in. However, it makes me wonder if there's an actual Elite Four, or the whole Pokémon League is about the Dojos? Also, what do you get in exchange of winning in a Dojo?

3. I see, and to be honest, this sounds to be the best part of the project. I think it don't have to be a long story at all (especially since you only have 4 dojos, not 8), I'd prefer a short, but really enjoyable experience. A quality storyline instead of a "quantity" one.

+1: That actually sounds really nice. It reminds me of classic RPGs like Forgotten Realms or Elder Scrolls games. I wonder if there will be some cases where you trigger events (not main ones, but side stories) that can only happen if you're loved (or hated) by a specific NPC. Like, for example, you can get the other starters if you have a really good relationship with Professor Oak.

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    1. Oh, I see. It is indeed different how TV broadcast worked in Emerald. :) It actually sounds like a nice idea. But it means if you made a bad decision (a really bad one), it can affect the whole region in a negative way?

2. It is actually a much better way than Pokémon Gyms. It gives an actual challenge instead of an easy rush-in. However, it makes me wonder if there's an actual Elite Four, or the whole Pokémon League is about the Dojos? Also, what do you get in exchange of winning in a Dojo?

3. I see, and to be honest, this sounds to be the best part of the project. I think it don't have to be a long story at all (especially since you only have 4 dojos, not 8), I'd prefer a short, but really enjoyable experience. A quality storyline instead of a "quantity" one.

+1: That actually sounds really nice. It reminds me of classic RPGs like Forgotten Realms or Elder Scrolls games. I wonder if there will be some cases where you trigger events (not main ones, but side stories) that can only happen if you're loved (or hated) by a specific NPC. Like, for example, you can get the other starters if you have a really good relationship with Professor Oak.

1.) Let's just say you can spread some propaganda around certain towns (eventually the region). Again, you have to be well known (in a positive way) to make people believe you. But, that doesn't mean you have to be a good guy to make people believe you.

2.) As for the Elite Four... I don't think I'll be having one. But, you will eventually be able to fight the strongest trainer (similar to the champion) later on.

3.) Oh boy, I think the one of the largest parts of the game will be the post game. I won't be disclosing much about it, at least for now. Let's just say they will be a bunch of stories (playable stories), regarding the past of people you meet and the region itself.

Benjamin Kuli

Mahagon
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    1.) Let's just say you can spread some propaganda around certain towns (eventually the region). Again, you have to be well known (in a positive way) to make people believe you. But, that doesn't mean you have to be a good guy to make people believe you.

2.) As for the Elite Four... I don't think I'll be having one. But, you will eventually be able to fight the strongest trainer (similar to the champion) later on.

3.) Oh boy, I think the one of the largest parts of the game will be the post game. I won't be disclosing much about it, at least for now. Let's just say they will be a bunch of stories (playable stories), regarding the past of people you meet and the region itself.

1. Hmm, it's interesting, to say the least. Can you use your power in media to spread good things too, or is it only used for (bad) propaganda?

2. That's actually a fine decision. The more different your game is from the original formula, the better it becomes (in my opinion). The champion battle is actually a nice idea, however.

3. Oh, that sounds really nice. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    1. Hmm, it's interesting, to say the least. Can you use your power in media to spread good things too, or is it only used for (bad) propaganda?

2. That's actually a fine decision. The more different your game is from the original formula, the better it becomes (in my opinion). The champion battle is actually a nice idea, however.

3. Oh, that sounds really nice. I can't wait to hear more about it.

You will be able to spread any kind of propaganda (whether it be good or bad).

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Here's a screenshot of Solus Town so far. Feedback would be appreciated as always.

Benjamin Kuli

Mahagon
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    I like it. While it is simple, the design actually works. One question: is there any reason why there's a space over the house on the top? Is there a hidden item there? If not, I don't think it is needed to be honest. Also, the area around the gym is really empty. Put some flowers at least there, as without anything (even a fence would work), it is just really plain.

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    I like it. While it is simple, the design actually works. One question: is there any reason why there's a space over the house on the top? Is there a hidden item there? If not, I don't think it is needed to be honest. Also, the area around the gym is really empty. Put some flowers at least there, as without anything (even a fence would work), it is just really plain.

Behind the house, you can see a dark patch (those will contain hidden items). I'll definitely add more things around the dojo to make it more appealing. Thanks for the feedback!

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Updated Solus Town along with different colored tiles and autotiles (used Photoshop & Paint). Now the question is: normal sand or red sand?

Edit: I will probably changed the water as well.

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Route 1 of the game so far. What do you guys think?

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Wow, another map! This time it is Aliena Woods. This will most likely be one of the last map screenshots I will show of the game. The others will be in-game screenshots to show more events.

Edit: There will be a foggy overlay when entering the woods to make it more "spooky".

Last edited:

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Here's some footage of Aliena Woods.
    *Footage shown may or may not be final

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    *Updates*

Here's a list of things I did so far (spriting wise):

• Sun Dojo Leader: Overworld & Battle Sprite - Complete
    • Male Protagonist: Overworld and Battle Back Sprite - Complete
    • Female Protagonist: Overworld, Battle Back Sprite and Run Animation - Complete

Here is a video of the female protagonist's run animation so far.

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I have created a YouTube Channel for Pokemon Exordium. That is how I uploaded the footage to show here. I shall be posting more important updates on that channel that will not appear on PokeCommunity. There will be videos of me mapping, eventing and so on.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQol9_xcO-UlqYfbLXQIkQ

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Update:

As of now, there is approximately 45+ minutes of gameplay in Pokemon Exordium. As for the BETA of the game, I want it to have a minimum of 2 hours of gameplay; but it will most likely have even more than that.

Currently, I am balancing the game so that the Sun Dojo Master's Pokemon Team isn't impossible to beat. When I played through my game, I realized she was just way too op compared to what the levels of your Pokemon would be if you faced every trainer. I don't want my game to be a grind-fest to complete it, as that would be way too boring.

mde2001

Pokemon Industrial Developer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2016
    These screenshots all look really great. I'll play this when it comes out!

Senyu

Pokemon Exordium Creator
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2018
    Here is the 1st Rival Battle vs. Andrea.

Back