• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Bianca or Cheren?

Bianca or Cheren?

• Bianca

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Cheren

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
Years
This is actually really hard to decide! Credit where it's due, BW (and particularly B2W2) had the best storyline in any Pokémon game; probably because of the character development. These two rivals are absolutely included when it comes to that. It was nice to finally have a Rival that was one step ahead as well as one who just lagged a bit behind.

Cheren was cool in that he just wanted to win, and that's it. When Alder asks him 'What then, after you've become the strongest?', and I just laughed because I'd never once thought about that myself. But I think I'd go with Bianca overall. She was pretty much the first character in Pokémon ever who was never going to be the greatest and actually had to come to terms with that. So she became the Professor's temporary bodyguard, and then in B2W2, her assistant. That was pretty great, IMO.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
cheren for sure
because cheren is that rival that unever expected to uderstand that the mean of love for pokemon
the other rivals dont
i dont like bianca to

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Tbh. I didn't like any of the both too much. Whenever I got a new badge at least one of them showed up just to battle me for some reason, which got boring pretty quickly. I'd probably say I like Cheren a little bit more, but mostly of his design, though. Bianca just looks like she has a giant forehead which really creeps me out whenever those splitscreen battle transitions happen.

Hushimine Rage

Pkmn Trainer Rage
Years
I remember all those annoying rivals from Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh, (and probably Hoenn if you kind of dislike Brendan/May.) They're like: "We're rivals since we were kids! I'm a pokemon thief and you're in my way! Move over or be my rival forever!" They would probably the people you would hate the most. Hatred, hatred, hatred to your rival. Defeating them does not make them lose. Ugh.
I know that red-haired rival in Johto wanted to be your friend in the end somehow, but at the same time he annoys you.

Then comes Unova, then comes your rival, Then comes Cheren. (And Bianca). Cheren seems to be a pokemon nerd, he doesn't care for the one he chooses (even though he still gets the strongest against yours), though he isn't much of a challenge even though he's been doing all those researching on berries and type weaknesses and going to Trainer's School (The bulding we never take a second glance at). But that's because he cares about you. He's rooting for you. He treats you with respect (Moooooooost of the time). He roots for you in the end to become the Champion. He said: "You're the best." I jumped out of my ears. Is he even my rival? He's not the: "Smell ya later!" Kind of guy..

Well enough. I chose Cheren.

Years
New rivals

So I finally started this generation and I wanted to be at least somewhat active member of this subforum so here it goes.

In the first generation, you had a d*ck rival, then you had a friend rival, then we had one friend-that-wasnt-really-a-rival and Wally aka somewhat a rival, in Platinum we had a friend that was a great balance between a friend and a rival..

In Pokemon Black and White, you have two friends that are your rivals. Bianca and Cheren. Each with their own style and character. What did you think of them? Were they a good balance between friends and rivals? Did you like their stories?

I cant say much since I barelly stepped into the game, but they both seem alright. Cheren is cool but a bit nerdy, and Bianca is funny but a bit loud lol. Altogether I think they will be great rivals :D

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I liked having Cheren and Bianca as your rival friends. It was nice that they showed some character development, unlike all the other rivals bar Silver. While Game Freak has tried to do the having more than one friend/rival thing in other games like they did in Hoenn and X/Y, I think that Black/White was the only time that they got it right so far.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
I liked having Cheren and Bianca as your rival friends. It was nice that they showed some character development, unlike all the other rivals bar Silver. While Game Freak has tried to do the having more than one friend/rival thing in other games like they did in Hoenn and X/Y, I think that Black/White was the only time that they got it right so far.

To me Cheren was just odd and annoying, Bianca was better but her lack of confidence just ended up being annoying too by the end.

Huseyin

Not positive, not negative
Years
I really liked cheren and bianca myself. They make up for the lacks each from each other and they showed really good character development . In the other games it was everytime just not too good in my opinion.

Years
I think Cheren and Bianca were among the best handled rivals in the series considering the two go through massive development over the course of the game, and how you're viewed as the leader of the main trio shows that they can trust in you as a trainer since your character serves as the most capable battler.

Cheren followed a path of ideals and Bianca followed a path of truth, which heavily ties in with the games' theme. They really complement each other well with their opposite paths and it was a shame other games with multiple rivals couldn't handle their development as much as they did with these two.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Most fleshed out rivals definitely, but I can't say I was intimidated by them the same way that Silver or even Blue did.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 28, 2015
I actually like Cheren and Bianca a lot. I think they provide a great balance for each other in terms of personality and their personalities are definitely something new in the Pokemon game. I really see Cheren as more of a rival than Bianca though and even Cheren I don't really see as a big obstacle. Also, I would also consider N as a rival too. I know he's meant to be more of an antagonist but really he was just being misled by the true villain, Ghetsis. His own ideals did influence his actions but if not for Ghetsis, I don't think he'd be considered an antagonist at all, more of a rival or a friend, especially considering you both end up becoming the heroes of Unova.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
These two are both pretty interesting rivals! First of all we have Bianca! Bianca is a pretty heartwarming story, she has to fight her father to be allowed on her adventure and she learns not too far in that she isn't cut out to be a Pokémon Master. BUT THIS IS THE BEAUTY OF IT! Bianca accepts this but still is enjoying her journey constantly! It's really amazing to see and that brings a smile to my face. She also gets herself a pretty sweet gig in being Professor Juniper's partner/assistant! She just shows that even if you're not cut out to be the best you can still forge a path for yourself!

Cheren on the other hand shows how will and determination can get you far! He was dedicated to being the best and did so well on his adventure. He learns as he goes and finds that being strong isn't everything. I don't have as much to say about Cheren but his increased difficulty, in comparison to Bianca, makes him my favourite rival. I love his development into a Gym Leader in BW2 as well. It really suited his character for me.

Both of these are awesome rivals and I enjoyed their contrasting personalities. The multi-rival thing was done so much better here than in the Kalos region.. seriously there were like 8 of them lol

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Bianca is really cute, but Cheren is a great rival. My vote is for Cheren.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I find Cheren's personality bit of a smartypants than Bianca. What I find Bianca was cheerful and bit-later than Cheren also she have rush on kinda rival, not much smartness in her, but her personality touched me fulfilling her own dream and until the point she became professor's aide 2 years after BW

So my vote belongs to Bianca because she doesn't seems like the rival who choose type that are 2x against you and not saying like those rivals do even Cherens.

Years
I was smiling when I played White 2 and was mentioned that Bianca was the assistant. Then smiled even more when she handed you your starters. Well, sadly, she isn't your rival in the sequel.

My vote goes to Cheren, even though I'm not a fan of his attitude in the first game. I think he's the definition of rival, always wanting to get better or one step ahead of you. Whereas Bianca was simply a friend, trying to catch up too, but not as fast. But it's good to have two rivals since that changes the old one-rival pattern in the previous games. Or three, if you consider N a rival.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 4, 2016
I'm torn... Bianca got a good character arc in the original games and yes, while Cheren is the one who is obsessed with becoming a Champion, she has an even better, more balanced team than he does. Seriously, don't underestimate her.

The problem is... in B2/W2, Bianca does a whole load of nothing, while Cheren helps the protagonist much more than she does. His personality improves a lot and he becomes more humble and respectful, and is less impulsive than he was before.

So, having said this, while I've started to like Cheren more than her following the developments in B2/W2, I'd still have to go with Bianca as my favorite rival. I like her story arc more. Leaving home and taking a big step for the first time, facing disapproval, not meeting your own expectations, looking for your path in life... I feel she has a good story, and she's a good way to show players that you don't have to be the very best, and no, there's nothing wrong with not being the hero who saved the world. Honestly... she's probably one of the best role models in the Pokémon games.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I like them both. While I love battling Bianca as she has an impressive post-game rematch team. :)

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
I feel like Bianca charmed me with her inexperience and somewhat airheadedness. I like her character development, and definitely found the B2W2 design apt. Bianca's also the first time that a rival isn't strong or try to one-up the protagonist. Her vulnerability and admittance that she can't become as strong as Cheren and the protagonist gave her more humanity and relateability imo.

I didn't feel for Cheren. He seemed pretty bland to me. The whole "I want to become stronger" card is just cliche now. His saving grace is probably becoming a Gym Leader after realizing that his ideals were too narrow.

Back