• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Anyone else start out with GSC?

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I'm wondering if anyone else started their affair with the Pokemon franchise with GSC, perhaps later purchasing RBY like I did. Personally, I started with GSC, falling in love with Johto and later with Kanto. When I finished all three of GSC, I wanted to play more and bought RBY. The change in game mechanics were, however, very strange for me. Therefore, while RBY (and to an extent RSE) evokes a great deal of nostalgia in me, GSC will always hold the highest distinction for me.

Incidentally, that makes RSE the first Pokemon games for which I awaited the release, which gives all the early gens some significance for me.

What gen did you start with, if it wasn't Gen 2?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I started with Gen1, with emulators.
    But Gen2 is the first game I've played in digital copy :3 These games (especially crystal) are really important to me, they are still my favorites!

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I started with LeafGreen, but Crystal was the second Pokemon game I ever played and it's still one of my all times favourites.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I started with gen I (Red), but Gold has always been my favorite. While my favorite Pokemon are mostly from gen I, most of my great Pokemon memories come from gen II, and I've always considered GSC to be my favorite games. Gen II was also the first one I got at release (I got into Pokemon several months later than most of my classmates, so a lot of my friends already had Red or Blue (mostly Red) when I bought my copy), and there was something magical about exploring a new region that no one knew anything about (as I got it as a gift on the release date, and no one else I knew had it).

I would really love to see a GSC re-release. If I played them again (can't on my cartridges unless I replace the batteries), I would like to put more time into Crystal, as I devoted most of my attention to Gold, and therefore never enjoyed the Crystal-only features that much.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I started with diamond, as it came bundled with my DS.
    I really started playing pokemon on gen3 games.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I started with the gen 2 games, actually! Crystal being one of my favourite games of all time, I'd nearly dare to say. I had so much fun in it, despite the remakes and sequels being packed with much more stuff to do these days.

NotchItUpABit

Amateur
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    A month or two before Pokemon Emerald, I was really young, and I received Crystal. I haven't finished that copy of Crystal, and so when I got Emerald, I did a whole lot better than I did in Crystal. I eventually beat both games, but not the copies I owned.

My team in Crystal was amazing though!

Totodile lvl 8.
    Weedle lvl 6.
    Weedle lvl 7.
    Weedle lvl 4.
    Weedle lvl 3.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I had a pokemon book I got from the book fair at school and I watched the show so I was familiar with the first 150. I got a gameboy color when Gold and Silver came out and I got Silver. I was so hooked since then. First game I bought when it was new, and probably my favorite game of all time.

My first team was Typhlosion and Golduck. I didn't even have a full team haha. But I ended up beating the elite four. Went back and made a full team when I got Red, then made a full one in Silver a little later. Typhlosion and Golduck, still two of my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Actually, when I finally got a GBA and was about to buy my first pokémon game, I chose between Gold and Yellow. My friend had both, and loved them both. I picked Yellow in the end though, because I wasn't quite aware of the vast difference in mechanics and colors, and just really badly wanted Pikachu to follow me around haha.

I would probably have loved the 2nd gen games even more if they had been my first ones. But maybe I wouldn't have enjoyed gen 1 as much if that had been the case. So it worked out well c:

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • Although I didn't start with GSC, this is by far my favorite generation.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2017
    My two older brothers and I all started on Red/Blue. I was eight when Red came out, so I was the total target audience. XD The wait for Gold and Silver was so painful. When it came out all the kids in the survey had it, but we had to wait for Christmas. I tried to get my friends to let me play it, but they were all younger than me and I guess just wanted to have something on an older kid. It was all worth the wait though since Gold/Silver were amazing. Funnily enough though, even when I was a kid in the perfect target audience for Pokemon, I thought Yellow and Crystal were rip-offs. I didn't buy Emerald or platinum years later, but bought Black 2 since I wasn't a fan of White 1, and people told me Black 2 was better.

Even though I grew up with Red/Gold, I think these days Sapphire is my favourite Pokemon game to just play for fun.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Crystal was my first game ever and my favorite game ever. Such an amazing generation with the two regions. In a funny story, since I was so young when I got it, I thought Johto was Kanto and vice-versa, leading me to think Ash was from the Johto region for the longest time, longer than I am proud of. Anyways, this gen introduced to me to awesome Pokemon like Totodile (first starter), Suicune, (favorite legendary), Pidgeot (just pretty cool).

Years
  • In a funny story, since I was so young when I got it, I thought Johto was Kanto and vice-versa, leading me to think Ash was from the Johto region for the longest time, longer than I am proud of.
    How long did you watch the anime to come to that conclusion?

Or did you begin from Johto, and not watch much of the earlier episodes? If so, other than their not getting a starter there in place of Pikachu, it might be reasonable.

You must have been really disappointed about the G/S ball, then?

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • How long did you watch the anime to come to that conclusion?

Or did you begin from Johto, and not watch much of the earlier episodes? If so, other than their not getting a starter there in place of Pikachu, it might be reasonable.

You must have been really disappointed about the G/S ball, then?

Honestly, I'm not positive exactly why I thought the way I did. I essentially think I just confused the names of the two regions as I knew GSC was the 2nd generation and which Pokemon belonged to which Gen but I was thinking GSc took place in Kanto and RBY in Johto.

I finally realized my mistake when I was like 10-11 and towards the end of Hoenn and I had decided to buy and play FireRed. While playing, I was very confused why I was in Kano due to my mistake as a child. Soon enough I realized my mistake and I felt quite dumb.

And YES!!!! The G/S ball was so frustrating! Iirc, the G/S ball was so important to that saga and they never even came close to figuring out what it was. Just another abandoned storyline in the anime lol

Years
  • I started with Gold in 2001. I think I originally wanted Red/Blue/Yellow for Stadium compatibility, but the store was out of those, therefore I ended up with Gold instead.

Back