• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Strange Times: A Pokemon Fan Game

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    Cool beans! I don't have Win 8 yet but I'm getting a new rig next week and I've heard of a few fangames that haven't been Win 8 compatible. Maybe they weren't made with RMXP? Who knows, but I'll be happy to play :)

Possible. Or maybe they were made with old versions? Either way; I use the latest versions of everything so it should work fine for you! Feel free to add me and I can let you know when a demo is ready!

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Program Compatibilities tend to stay, rarely a program stops working from a version of Windows to another but I'm only certain about RMXP working on Windows 8, can't say the same for the other programs.

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
    Years
  • Program Compatibilities tend to stay, rarely a program stops working from a version of Windows to another but I'm only certain about RMXP working on Windows 8, can't say the same for the other programs.

Pokemon Obsidian is made with RMXP and supposedly doesn't work with Windows 8, so that's what got me wondering. Very odd stuff.

I've been freaking out I think because I'm not exactly excited about switching to Win8, haha.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    Pokemon Obsidian is made with RMXP and supposedly doesn't work with Windows 8, so that's what got me wondering. Very odd stuff.

I've been freaking out I think because I'm not exactly excited about switching to Win8, haha.

From what I know Obsidian is made with an older version of RMXP. Atomic Reactor started that project a few years ago. When I got started I watched his tuts on YouTube and he said he used an older version. There has to be a way out there regardless and if it comes to that I'll figure it out.

Windows 8 still seems weird to me. I VM'd it on my machine and couldn't really get the feel of it. I hope you dig it! From what I understand they are supposed to release updates that make it more like 7.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Well... Windows 8 DOES suck for PC/Laptop/Netbooks.

I have Windows 7 now but when I tried Windows 8 back 1 year ago or so all worked fine with RPG maker or any program I use now, just as they worked fine with XP (even by switching from 32 to 64 bit).

By looking up on google you can see people having problems with it though (Either slowdowns or incompatibilities caused by conflicting with some programs) all fixable though.

Despite that, should I buy a new computer which comes with Windows 8 pre-installed, I wouldn't think twice about "downgrading" (or should I say "Upgrading" :D) to Windows 7.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • Spoiler:

I haven't particularly looked at your game, but just from this video I'm very interested. It's all very promising, but one thing I would change is how your pokemon are re-arranged while the background shows your hand, if anything it should show your belt with Pokeballs, since that is classically where trainers keep their pokemon in the anime.

Overall it's pretty cool though, I'll take a look at your game, keep it up though! If your game is as good as the pause menu then you have a serious gold mine over here.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    I haven't particularly looked at your game, but just from this video I'm very interested. It's all very promising, but one thing I would change is how your pokemon are re-arranged while the background shows your hand, if anything it should show your belt with Pokeballs, since that is classically where trainers keep their pokemon in the anime.

Overall it's pretty cool though, I'll take a look at your game, keep it up though! If your game is as good as the pause menu then you have a serious gold mine over here.

Thanks for your input! I will definitely keep that in mind! The thing is though that the game and a lot of side missions are based on the phone so I while thinking about it I thought, 'How would we manage our Pokemon in the 21st century if they existed alongside us?' The answer was the internet and an app on our cellphones haha so that's basically where the thought is. The process (and how I think it would work) is explained in the game.

Thanks again for your input!

indieoutloud

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    QUICK UPDATE: I will hopefully be releasing the first demo the first or second week of June! Not everything has been decided yet though as I may only release it to a few people at a time. So be sure to let me know if you're interested!

indieoutloud

Alkaiser

Superhero
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    That menu is gorgeous! Also, the Property system looks really interesting. But, there's a thing I don't get about the story... What is the protagonista job exactly? xD

I understand they some decisions will cause the story to take a radical twist or another and there will be different endings, am I right? That's a very cool feature, and I encourage you to continue on developing the game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    That menu is gorgeous! Also, the Property system looks really interesting. But, there's a thing I don't get about the story... What is the protagonista job exactly? xD

I understand they some decisions will cause the story to take a radical twist or another and there will be different endings, am I right? That's a very cool feature, and I encourage you to continue on developing the game.

First off, thanks so much for the kind words! I'm quite proud of the menu. I went into it with no idea on how to accomplish it and ended up with a pretty awesome menu.

Secondly, I didn't specify the protagonists job as it only really applies to the starting of the game. His occupation can actually change as the game progresses. As I stated, he comes from a family of Pokemon Masters so once he taps into that part of himself doors open up. Some jobs include becoming a gym leader or teacher at the Boken Pokemon Battle Academy. These jobs can overlap if certain circumstances are met. So, basically you can have multiple occupations.

The occupations tie directly into the property ownership/relationship systems in many ways. If you decide to be a gym leader and don't move your family close to your gym your wife may leave you and your grandparents may pass away on account of neglect. If you become a CEO of a big company, buy a mansion, move your entire family close to you; you will be rewarded with additional benefits like maybe having children. There will be a lot of possibilities and have a new demo video I will release soon showing one of the major possibilities.

Everything changes the end of the game so it is unlikely anyone will have the same experience.

I haven't released this information before but there is also a coldcase in the region of Boken. A young boy goes missing and you can (if you wish) solve the mystery of his disappearance.

Anyway! Thanks again so much for your interest!

indieoutloud

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    QUICK UPDATE: Just a quick update here. Adding a bunch of screenshots and been working a ton on the Strange Times wiki at https://strangetimes.wikia.com.

Also, I'm officially looking for spriters and what not who are willing to help. I need both characters and buildings. I will add you to the game or something as a thank you if you choose to help out.

Lastly, Strange Times is on GameJolt! The response over there has been just as warm and welcoming as it is here so I'm glad to be a part of both communities.

Thanks again everybody who has shown interest!

indieoutloud

EDIT: Here's the GameJolt link. I forgot it! https://gamejolt.com/games/rpg/strange-times-a-pokemon-fan-game/26472/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    QUICK UPDATE: Have received a lot of interest/praise in/for the Strange Times pause menu and wanted to give you all a chance to try it out and suggest apps and what not so I spent some time and made a quick version of it in HTML5. I will be updating it periodically so please be sure to check it out and let me know what you think!

Check out the Pause menu here! bit.ly/1go6fJw

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    QUICK UPDATE: Working on my custom installer now so should have a release in the first week of June like I promised! Super excited to see what you guys think! I don't know if I am releasing the demo to everyone at once or if only to people who have shown interest. So, if you are interested in playing be sure to let me know by commenting!

Cheers!

indieoutloud

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Is there a playable story? And will I be able to save and continue off from where I left when there'll be a second release?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    Is there a playable story? And will I be able to save and continue off from where I left when there'll be a second release?

It is mostly story actually with examples of all the other things I've been talking about in there. Four gyms, lots of story, lots of small missions and the beginning of missions and what not. Your save will work for sure and I will provide a change-log for future releases so you can decide for yourself if you want to patch to the new update and start from the beginning or patch and pick up where you left off.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Ohh awesome :D I'd like to play the demo then, do you also accept suggestions?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    Ohh awesome :D I'd like to play the demo then, do you also accept suggestions?

Sure do! A suggestion/bug submission form will be up on the Strange Times website so people who play the demo can let me know what they think. If you give a suggestion that I like and use/submit a major bug I missed or do a let's play on youtube I will add you as a character to the game!

cheers!

indieoutloud

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    QUICK UPDATE: I know I posted news yesterday about the installer but had more news on it today so I'm back! When I got to thinking about the installer I thought about how cool it would be if the game had a launcher (like minecraft). In light of this new development I got super pumped and started working on something I didn't think could be ready until Demo Two but now think will be ready for Demo One. Yesterday, I told everyone that unlike most RPG Maker games Strange Times will be packed in an .EXE instead of a .ZIP this makes things way easier for me to handle and you guys get everything in a nicely wrapped package. This launcher though makes things even easier!

Strange Times: A Pokemon Fan Game

This method is even better because upon every use it will check for updates for you and install them at your discretion. As seen above it also has the change-log and current version info embedded so you can see what has changed.

Strange Times: A Pokemon Fan Game

Like everything else I except there to be bugs with this as well and if I don't get to it before launch the launcher won't have an uninstall button. BUT, you can easily uninstall from your start menu. Anyway! Thanks again so much everybody for you continued support! I'm so damn happy with the progress! Please be sure to let me know what you think of the launcher as well. I personally think it is the best way to manage a game like this that is subject to change constantly.

Cheers for now!

indieoutloud

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2016
    I like your menu system and you pokedex/phone system. Its very original, something the Pokemon franchise probably won't put effort into making. How did you get the launcher to work?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    I like your menu system and you pokedex/phone system. Its very original, something the Pokemon franchise probably won't put effort into making. How did you get the launcher to work?

Thanks! I hope it is something they wouldn't care to implement into the actual games as it would likely make mine look terrible haha I like having a few unique features obviously. The launcher is a major work in progress and isn't stable to say the least. Basically all it does is handle the install. It checks my server, downloads the file and installs it. Every time you open the launcher it checks for a new version or to see if the installer has been changed in any way. If so it just downloads and installs that. There seems to be an issue with certain computers though. I've tested it on a few PC's and it seems either the file size or one of the processes break it so a .ZIP with the installer will be available for those who can't get it to work.

indieoutloud

Back