• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unconditional love.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Are you capable of being someone who can love someone unconditionally?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    No. Life goes on, they say. Our circumstances may change to an extent that strains such matters. I think it would therefore be unwise to do or accept anything unconditionally.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    This is a difficult question to answer because there is no one definition of love. I'm willing to do anything for anyone if I cared about them enough, but that could fluctuate based on what our relationship is like at that time.

That said, I know for a fact that I would do anything for my parents. Just raising me is more than I can ever repay them for.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 1, 2021
    Yes.

No.

Maybe.

I don't know.

'Can you repeat the question? You're not the boss of me now...' wait you weren't singing were you? =P

Anyways a relationship with unconditional love is usually abusive or otherwise unhealthy, which saddens me. Love itself maybe hard to defined but unconditional is not. Pets will more often than not, love their owners unconditional, no matter how much they yell at, hit, or negligent them.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm waiting for someone with a child to come in and say they do believe in unconditional love, and then I'll roll my eyes harder than that time I had that demonic possession.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • As I understand it, unconditional love is simply love that is freely given and not based on any requirements being met. It is not loving someone and glossing over their faults, it is loving someone while being aware of their shortcomings and loving them anyway. It is not required that the people I love do anything for me, love me in the same way, or love me at all. All categories of love can take an unconditional form- familial, friendship, romantic, what have you. And I don't think unconditional love equates to everlasting love. Just as other forms of love can fade with various causes of relationship deterioration, so can unconditional love. It can transform into conditional love and then maybe not love at all. And unconditional love can grow from conditional love as well.

My mom's more of a conditional love sort of person. I mean, she claims unconditional love toward her children but with anyone else- even her sisters and my stepdad- her love is based more on if they fulfil her requirements. She has more love to give to people who give something to her in return, whether it be kindness or helpfulness or something like that. She doesn't really have the time or patience to love people who don't give back. Also she has a hard time accepting people's inherent faults so there's that.

I think I'm an unconditional love person. I love people a lot. For no reason other than that they make me happy and it makes me happy to love them. I've loved people unconditionally and now no longer do, and that's fine. That's just how those relationships went. I love people unconditionally now that I probably won't in the future due to the changing nature of our lives etc. It's like... if I say "I love you" and you ask "why?" all I can say is "because." There is nothing specific you do to make me love you, and there's no real reason for me to love you. I just do. I think that's pretty much all there is to it.

But being aware of my general inclination toward unconditional love, I do kind of have to be wary not to gloss over people's faults or hurtful behaviour. I have to be able to recognize when a person is hurting me or others, if it's intentional or not, and call them out on that. I love people, but I would hate to be taken advantage of due to that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm pretty certain I am capable of this. To paraphrase something I have actually said somewhat recently

"Even if for some reason you hated me I'd still love you"

(yes I know how sappy that is).

But yeah, I'm capable of that I think and I'm quite proud to say I'm one of the few people left who really can say that.

Edit: I really can't say it better than Anna did.

Outlier

As I understand it, unconditional love is simply love that is freely given and not based on any requirements being met. It is not loving someone and glossing over their faults, it is loving someone while being aware of their shortcomings and loving them anyway. It is not required that the people I love do anything for me, love me in the same way, or love me at all. All categories of love can take an unconditional form- familial, friendship, romantic, what have you. And I don't think unconditional love equates to everlasting love. Just as other forms of love can fade with various causes of relationship deterioration, so can unconditional love. It can transform into conditional love and then maybe not love at all. And unconditional love can grow from conditional love as well.

My mom's more of a conditional love sort of person. I mean, she claims unconditional love toward her children but with anyone else- even her sisters and my stepdad- her love is based more on if they fulfil her requirements. She has more love to give to people who give something to her in return, whether it be kindness or helpfulness or something like that. She doesn't really have the time or patience to love people who don't give back. Also she has a hard time accepting people's inherent faults so there's that.

I think I'm an unconditional love person. I love people a lot. For no reason other than that they make me happy and it makes me happy to love them. I've loved people unconditionally and now no longer do, and that's fine. That's just how those relationships went. I love people unconditionally now that I probably won't in the future due to the changing nature of our lives etc. It's like... if I say "I love you" and you ask "why?" all I can say is "because." There is nothing specific you do to make me love you, and there's no real reason for me to love you. I just do. I think that's pretty much all there is to it.

But being aware of my general inclination toward unconditional love, I do kind of have to be wary not to gloss over people's faults or hurtful behaviour. I have to be able to recognize when a person is hurting me or others, if it's intentional or not, and call them out on that. I love people, but I would hate to be taken advantage of due to that.

If that's what unconditional love is then I'm definitely capable of it. I think it can relate to low self-esteem if it gets to the point where it's mainly one sided. I haven't been in a completely one sided relationship but I often care about loved ones more than the other way around. Sometimes to the point where I can't rationalize why I care about them so much. It sounds almost psychotic in a sense lol.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I believe that loving unconditionally means accepting and caring to anyone for who they are, despite of knowing that they make mistakes. Even though loving someone unconditionally is hard at some point, I'll try my best to be capable to do it. This kind of love sure takes dedication, and if we can love someone unconditionally, it'll worth it at the end, because it's one of the greatest love.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I have a very deep capability for loving unconditionally. Deep down I love anyone who I get really close to unconditionally. That's an immutable part of who I am. However, I do not let that cause me grief. As hurtful as it may be to distance myself from someone who is causing me harm, I can do it quickly if the situation warrants it and keep them away for as long as it is necessary with only a little regret.

Love, unconditional or not, is not something I've ever learned to equate to trust. Trust in and of itself is a separate thing entirely in my books, and while it can be linked with certain forms of love as a reason for increased trust, it does not come as a part of love.

As someone who is fairly different from what most people might consider normal, a ridiculously subjective term in my opinion, I tend to be pretty accepting of people generally anyways. So an Unconditional Love isn't really a long stretch for my personality. I tend not to be as assertive in person, and can adapt to a fair number of personalities, save for a select few types that clash violently with my own.

That said, I don't just fall head over heels into love with everyone nice that I meet. That's far too messy even for me. But there are, on some rare occasions, people who simply steal my heart by being the great people that they are. If I find that I do indeed mesh with that person well, I will let myself fall as deeply into love as my heart wishes, but do so silently. The hard part is always the initial crush phase, so I get it out of the way as quickly as I can. This is so I can properly ascertain the nature of my attraction, analyze it properly once my feelings have been dealt with, and have had time enough to cool so that I can think clearly about it.

Once the initial phase is over, I usually know exactly how and why I love them. It's not always "Unconditional" love. I'm as human as anyone else, and I have my own desires as well, so practical reasons are no less legitimate than emotional ones.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I'll roll my eyes harder than that time I had that demonic possession.
    I just died a little. Best thing I've seen so far today.

I really don't know, to be honest. I prefer to hide from relationships, so I can't answer very well from that aspect, and I've never been in a situation that would test such an idea for family. The only time anything has occurred that completely destroyed any type of friend/acquaintanceship/etc. was with someone who I didn't know real well.
    I guess it could be possible, but that's really all I can say.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

No... this "Unconditional love" doesn't exist in my eyes outside of romantic fairy tales. One can't really fall in love with someone without a reason. Anybody who thinks otherwise is either wearing their heart on their sleeve, or is the biggest liar in the face of this planet.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I don't think so. I think you can choose to love someone, or not. I may be wrong though, my answer may change in ten years.

Towerizer

Alcoholic Renegade
    Years
  • absolutely! my one dream in life is to find true love, yeah i'm a man and that's what i want and i won't lie about it. so once i meet that person i will love them unconditionally and any relationship I'm in up until that point will be the same, once i know i love that person that is.

Back