• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need something to stop tyranitar

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    I've tried many tanks such as blissy, skarmory, torkal, ect but tyranitar seems to be able to 2 shot every single one even with max hp and defense. Cant imagine what would happen if it would mega and I remember running into these every single match a good 3 or so months ago. I need someone that can tank a tyranitar superpower, stone edge and crunch however my rule is it cant be a starter pokemon, cant be a legendary, and cant be a psudo legendary because I just get sick of using them. A list of good pokemon would be nice too so I can pick my favorite, of course that is assuming anything can tank this thing which it doesn't look like anything can.

Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 20, 2017
    Any fighting type will destroy it. It wouldn't be able to do anything against a Chesnaught, but you said no starters... Unaware Clefable will be able to stop DD Tyranitar. Anything with Will-o-wisp - Sableye and Mega-Banette are my favourites. Conkeldurr will take one hit, but will be able to retaliate with drain punch for the ohko and recover most of its HP. Scizor and Ferrothorn will also do pretty well, though you'll have to watch out for fire punch and fire blast. Tank Azumarill will do massive damage with play rough, and if it doesn't get the ohko it won't go down straight away.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've tried many tanks such as blissy, skarmory, torkal, ect but tyranitar seems to be able to 2 shot every single one even with max hp and defense. Cant imagine what would happen if it would mega and I remember running into these every single match a good 3 or so months ago. I need someone that can tank a tyranitar superpower, stone edge and crunch however my rule is it cant be a starter pokemon, cant be a legendary, and cant be a psudo legendary because I just get sick of using them. A list of good pokemon would be nice too so I can pick my favorite, of course that is assuming anything can tank this thing which it doesn't look like anything can.
    Azumarill is pretty cool, because it not only takes on Tyranitar, it also deals with potential Sand Rush Excadrill that are often run alongside as well. Breloom also can take them on.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/tyranitar/
    That page contains a couple more Pokemon that can deal with it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2016
    i would recommend shedninja its wonder guard special ability should work fine unless the tyranitar know a supper effective attack to bugs and ghost or get a tyranitar of your own to stand against it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • i would recommend shedninja its wonder guard special ability should work fine unless the tyranitar know a supper effective attack to bugs and ghost or get a tyranitar of your own to stand against it.

Every single Tyranitar carries Stone Edge, Pursuit, and/or Crunch, all of which hit Shedinja super effectively. If Tyranitar can't take Shedinja out on the switch, the sandstorm summoned via Sand Stream will.

Therefore, Shedinja is the worst Tyranitar "counter" imaginable.

Years
  • Have you tried using a lucario? Tyranitar being rock and dark type would not be able to defend against a lucario's close combat. Setting up a swords dance on lucario makes it near enough impossible for tyranitar to survive. However, if you need a more bulky fighting type 'mon, conkeldurr could be a viable option. With moves like mach punch and drain punch paired with a life orb and the sheer force ability, it can become a huge threat to t-tar. There are tanky sets for this 'mon too.
    Sableye is a great pokemon to counter t-tar too. With moves like will-o-wisp paired with the prankster ability and whilst running a defensive set, t-tar would have trouble countering a sableye.
    Fairy types are also something which can be used as a counter to t-tar. Clefable can hit hard whilst tanking hits and recovering. I do believe that clefable can also provide wish support to your team as well and may carry heal bell for status. I know sylveon and gardevoir are decent pokemon to use and have powerful moves which can hit t-tar hard but they are not thr most defensive 'mons.
    Hope this helped.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2016
    As mentioned before any fighting type will do. Also inflicting a burn on it will cripple it e.g. Rotom-w using will o' wisp.

Back