• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How did you defeat Ghetsis' Hydreigon?

Years
  • I made a thread like this in the Fourth Generation forum about Cynthia's Garchomp, and today we have with us a foe that several have regarded on almost equal footing. With Black and White, Ghetsis, the boss of Team Plasma, has a very nasty Hydreigon, a Dark/Dragon-type with a very high Special Attack stat. Not only does it come at a level much higher than what you're likely to be at (54), but it has max IVs like the aforementioned Cynthia, and it too is extremely fast with a moveset consisting of four deadly special moves - Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, Fire Blast and Surf. And if you have out a Pokémon weak to any of its attacks, you can bet it's gonna come out after you knock out his first Pokémon, Cofagrigus. This thing is extremely difficult to defeat, so how did you?

I don't remember exactly how it went the very first time I played White, but I know I had a Level 57 Emboar after the battle was over so I may have used that. But in other playthroughs i've had specific things to use against it, like Haxorus with Dragon Dance (which I would use against Cofagrigus before Hydreigon would come out). My last play (a Red Mono-Color) had me using Sturdy+Shell Smash Crustle. But no occasion will ever be as memorable to me as my Wedlocke, which had my Conkeldurr scoring the Quick Claw and KO'ing it with Low Kick from 7/8 of its health after Stealth Rock.

What about you? What did you bring with you to slay this ever so horrifying menace? Would you say it's on par with Cynthia's Garchomp? If not, how far off? Discuss.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't remember what I did. I usually have something in my party with an Ice move though, so I guess that's what I did to defeat him, haha. And Cynthia's Garchomp for that matter.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Samurott: it had Megahorn at the time, and so Hydreigon wasn't much of a problem. My issue was always with Confagrigus; I never had a fun time with that thing. It would always wear down the majority of the team before I actually got anywhere - making everything else a pain.

Last edited:

Chrayus

Chrayus is love, Chrayus is life
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2015
    I served it a quick RKO out of nowhere. (AKA Some Dragon Move)

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I had my own Hydreigon. It was superior in every category because it's just too cool for Pokemon School. Dragon pulse pretty much took care of the opposition for me. I remember naming my Hydreigon Warzaw.

Light Espeon

Striving To Be Smarter
    Years
  • For both games I used multiple fighting attacks from pokemon like Samurott and Virizion. Starmie's ice beam may have also helped in Black 2.

Years
  • To the people mentioning B2W2, you do know that I placed a BW prefix because this is just BW and not B2W2, right? Because in the latter, that Hydreigon is practically nonexistent compared to BW (its moveset is much inferior, it doesn't have max IVs and can be walled by Steel-types; it's not bad per se but it's not what it was then).

Anyway, it's not practical you'd have a Hydreigon by this point in the game unless you used ALL your Rare Candies on a Deino that you would train and have evolve. And while Samurott is strong, I remember watching MunchingOrange's LP way back where his, which was Level 47 or something around there, took near 3/4 from Dragon Pulse while he only did JUST enough for a 2HKO. Only THE strongest super-effective attacks, like Sawk's Close Combat, can score the quick OHKO it.

And Cerberus, yeah it's surprisingly fast, moreso than you would expect most to be (it's +Speed natured, I know that thanks to Marriland's Wedlocke).

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    you know I played through a few times and I can't seem to remember what I used any of the times I played through... lol. I do remember once I decided to do a team of three flying types and then one wall (Ferrothorn.) I believe I used a combination of Archeops and Ferrothorn to beat it.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure it was my Emboar's Hammer Arm that OHKO'd it on my very first playthrough...though how Emboar outsped Hydreigon or survived its surf is a bit foggy.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • The only Pokémon in the Unova Dex that can wall (sorta) Ghetsis' Hydreigon is Jellicent. It can't do shit in return, though. And you're vulnerable to Dragon Pulse which is his strongest attack.

Years
  • The only Pokémon in the Unova Dex that can wall (sorta) Ghetsis' Hydreigon is Jellicent. It can't do shit in return, though. And you're vulnerable to Dragon Pulse which is his strongest attack.

Not 100% true - it can learn Blizzard, if nothing else. And aside from its high HP/Sp Def that can usually allow it to avoid a 2HKO most of the time, it has status to use against it, too. I know there was one playthrough that had a Jellicent using Night Shade against it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Not 100% true - it can learn Blizzard, if nothing else. And aside from its high HP/Sp Def that can usually allow it to avoid a 2HKO most of the time, it has status to use against it, too. I know there was one playthrough that had a Jellicent using Night Shade against it.

Blizzard = shit.

I beat Ghetsis with Jellicent in my team but I didn't use it for status.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • For White, most of my party fainted cause I feared Scrafty wouldn't take a Focus Blast well. But it did and finished off the Hydreigon.
    For Black, I also used my own Hydreigon.

Years
  • I was very underleveled; all my Pokemon were at level 40-45.
    I had to stall with Toxic to get rid of it.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I honestly don't remember, but I also don't recall having a difficult time beating it. This means I must have just taken it out using force or a combination of a couple sacrifices and multiple Pokemon's effort. It wasn't nearly as hard as Cynthia or I would have remembered being defeated probably, but I'm sure it was still somewhat of a challenge!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Ghetsis was surprisingly easy for me including his Hydreigon, probably why I can't recall having a difficult time facing against it. I remember using Vanilluxe which was a sturdy Ice-type to go up against his Hydregion sooo.

Years
  • I had trouble with that Hydreigon. The little [BLEEP] wiped out four of my team: Simisage, Sigilyph, Samurott and even Zekrom. Then Emboar took it out with Brick Break, surviving a Surf in the process. All of Ghetsis's other Pokémon went down easily, it was just Hydreigon that caused me bother.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I can't remember how I took it down -- I think it was with a focus blast or something of that sort. It was a tough opponent to defeat but I persevered.

Back