• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how unexpected

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    has there been a pokemon type that you initially had little interest in only to come to love it later on?

I know for myself I spent a long time viewing ground and poison type pokemon as really boring. I eventually started using ground types just to realize how useful they are, while I enjoyed how defensive poison types are and their designs

Sirfetch’d

Ghosts types for me. Back in the earlier generations Ghosts types were really bad due to the lack of actual Ghost moves. Gengar is a really good example of this. As the generations went on and the split occurred, I developed quite the liking for Ghost Pokemon! I also adored the fact that so many cool ones were introduced in the later gens such as Frillish, Jellicent, Chandelure, and Pumpkaboo!

Years
  • Steel-types. While I wasn't that keen on using the type much since I thought it didn't have many strong attackers, it turns out I was pretty wrong. They can hit hard, take a hit and most have awesome designs too.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Rock type... oh wait, its still bad.

Except they are the best things to take down certain fire/flying types and countering bird spam. And stealth rocks ftw.

Stealthfire

Steel-Type Master
    Years
  • Bug types. I mean, most bug type Pokemon aren't that great, really. Recently though, I caught a Cascoon in a nuzlocke run, evolved it into Dustox, and I came to absolutely adore it. It's not the best Pokemon I own, no, but it did give me a new appreciation for bug types in general.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Dragons! At first I was like "What's the magic part? Dragonite is fat and orange".

It changed later, actually, Dragonite is my favorite Pokemon! Really unexpected.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • Normal for me. I always thought Normal types were just never good since early games are for the most part not really good, they aren't strong against anything, and a lot of my least favorite Pokemon are normal types, but after I start using some like Kangaskhan, Milktank, Blissey, Exploud, and Cincinoo, just to name a few, that I started to really like Normal types because mostly due to the move variety that they can have and only being weak to just Fighting.

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    I never used to like fighting types, that was until during a FRLG run, I decided to take and train the Hitmonlee I received from the fighting dojo. Turned out to be the strongest battler on my team, he hardly ever went down and also took care of Red's Snorlax with ease.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Bug-types, by a long shot. It's a type I always just sort of brushed off as being meh or boring, but I came to realize a lot of my favorite Pokémon are Bug-types lol. Namely Butterfree, Beautifly, Illumise, Masquerain, Leavanny, etc.

Another type that I didn't really care for initially but I've grown to love it as well is Grass, but that didn't really surprise me as much as Bug did.

Back