• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Satoru Iwata has Passed Away

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • I feel...less than qualified to report on this, but this announcement has a lot of weight.

satoru-iwata1.jpg

As of this afternoon, Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo, has passed away yesterday. There has been news of his condition over the past year, most of which the man himself tried to make light and stressed how little concern it was. He died at the age of 55.

Rest in Peace, Iwata.

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-president-has-passed-away-1717386412
    https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/620379176919367680

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • rest in peace Iwata-San. You made a lot contrubrution to the world of gaming! Thank you!

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    God this news is so incredibly saddening. This man really embodied the playful Nintendo spirit on the directs and at e3. I was real fond of him and this seemed to come out of nowhere. Rest in peace Iwata.

Years
  • Man, this is really upsetting. Such a great guy. RIP.

He made it possible for us to travel to Kanto in GSC too :l

Years
  • Wow. After all this time, the man who gave us Mario, and so many other great aspects of Nintendo, is now gone. He gave us so much, so he must be honored. RIP Iwata.

Years
  • This is a sad day indeed. I honestly can't think of any other words to say other than that I am devastated by such a tragic loss.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've literally been lying here for about an hour just not really sure how to take this in and then it just suddenly hit me and I'm crying. I don't even know what else to say other than to thank him for bringing so much joy into my life.

Years
  • As TF said, he looked like he wasn't in poor health recently (although it was mentioned he had stomach problems) but dang 55 is still too young of an age to die so soon. He will be remembered as a face of the Nintendo family and will be forever missed.

Last edited:
    Years
  • 55 is waaaaaay too young, yo. Twitter and Facebook has been blowing up about it.

R.I.P. Not enough people understood, but maybe they will now.

Ricochett

switched account.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2015
    Oh man, oh man, why? That's sad, he gave joy to many people and then he died at 55.

....It's really sad.

Thank you very much, Iwata-san. You will always be remembered. Respect and salute to you! My condolence to his family for losing a great man and those who grieve, hundreds and thousands of people; let's be strong.

It's really hard to swallow.

Sirfetch’d

I've never been so sad about the loss of someone in the gaming industry before. I don't even know how to react other than just stare at the screen reading the news. This is such a tragic day my god.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • I can't.

I just can't.

RIP Iwata. I.... just.... need to sit alone for a moment and think about my life.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Someone else remarked that this was kind of the same level of sadness to his death as that of Robin Williams, and I agree there. He appeared to be more than just a CEO of a company - he talked to us through directs, he was well spoken of and did things like give himself a paycut rather than lay off employees only a few years back. Meanwhile, he was the head of a company which made a lot of games that have been a significant part of my life one way or another - I've made friends through these games and killed many an hour enjoying them. Heck, he even had a hand in Pokemon Gold and Silver. That's a pretty big deal imo.

Rest in peace, Iwata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwHZwvTdnPI

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    55 is way too young to go, and the fact that he managed to leave such a lasting mark on the world in so little time is telling of the kind of man he was. May you rest in peace Iwata-san, and thanks for all the memories.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • Wow. I can't believe this. This is one of those rare moments I actually started to feel tears being shed.
    This is LITERALLY one of those "Didn't think will ACTUALLY happen, but it did" moments. I'm...I'm shocked. At only 55 years of age he time on this Earth has come and gone. To see my Twitter blowing up about this, saying how Iwata meant more than just the President of Nintendo and more like one of your family members...I can agree. This is a real blow to many fans, Nintendo and the general gaming market alike. For real this legitimately came out of left field.

This is not just a dark day for Nintendo. Nonono...his is a dark day for the entire video game industry & its history. I honestly never seen someone of his position put in so much time and effort; so much blood, sweat and tears into turning a company around. To me that showed just how much Iwata cared about this industry and the company he worked for. To think his story is one that many in the industry couldn't achieve. From a programmer at HAL Laboratories to CEO and President. Years of hard work he gave to The Nig N. He was even willing to cut his pay in half because this is how much he cared about the company. He sacrificed hours & hours to make Nintendo as best as he could to the point of illness. Despite that you can still feel his influence throughout the Nintendo Directs he couldn't be apart of, the events he couldn't make it too (which makes this year's E3 even sadder in hindsight). He does leave a brilliant legacy, one not many can get.. Iwata was..no IS a PILLAR to modern-day Nintendo, and it came crashing down. He had a passion for this business that not many can replicate.

I hope personally very next Nintendo Direct shouldn't be about the upcoming titles or whatever. Rather it should be for him; his legacy to the company he gave his heart and soul for. I do wonder without him how Nintendo would have functioned to this day. I hope Nintendo World does something to remember Iwata's passing.
    I really feel bad for Masahiro Sakurai; those two were close when they were part of HAL; and today they lost one brilliant mind.

I hope for those on here, play whatever Nintendo console you own. This may sound cheesy but I don't care; play those games for him, because that's what he would love to hear; people around the world playing the games he wants the public to enjoy. In fact; he helped create on the best games I ever played. Pokemon Gold and Silver. In fact, many of us here have to thank Iwata for that game specifially; he was THE driving force behind putting the entire Kanto region in the games and give us much more to explore post-Elite Four. His ideas helped propel why I love this franchise so much, so I want to personally say thank you.

On a closing note, I do want to say he left us with Super Mario Maker; so we can create our own levels and make our inner game designer dreams come true, like Iwata did. So with that...I'll leave this:

Satoru Iwata: A Corporate President on the outside, a Game Developer on the mind, but a pure Gamer in his heart. We Finally Understood. Thank You for what you gave to us, not just as Nintendo fans, but to video games as a whole. RIP.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I was just looking around Bulbanews and Bulbagarden for reactions to the silhouette and found out this news instead...I can't believe he's dead...it seems unreal...

Back