• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon types they got horribly wrong

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • The Lake Trio should have been retyped Fairy/Psychic. They're even named after elves, sprites, and pixies. I can somewhat understand Celebi and Jirachi's predicaments since they already have two types, but these guys still have an open slot!

Dunsparce is another one that doesn't quite make sense to me. I love that it's Normal-type because that makes it seem more mysterious and I can use it on my mono-Normal team, but it looks like it should've been Bug/Ground. Even the anime called it a Bug Pokémon.

I still don't understand at all why the Marill line gained Fairy-type. Sure, they're in the Fairy Egg Group, but so is Pikachu.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Would love to see Dunsparce get an uber fairy type evolution. I know its never gonna happen, but hey

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • Like how the hell isn't Celebi a fairy type. Just look at it bruh.

Years
  • Ninetales Fire/Psychic or Fire/Fairy because it's always pictured as this mythical being I think it would have made sense if it had "magical" powers. It even has 'Tales' in her/his name which they took from fairytales.
    Bulbapedia: Ninetales is a very vengeful Pokémon that has been known to curse those who mistreat it. This intelligent Pokémon is able to understand human speech easily. It can live for 1,000 years, due to the energy within its nine tails, each of which is said to have a different mystical power. It can be found living in grasslands.

Dratini, Dragonair & Dragonite Dragon/Water because it lives in water, it has the water 1 egg-group, it can learn a verity of different water-type moves including surf and waterfall.

Misdreavus & Mismagius Ghost/Fairy because it looks like a witch/mage, it just screams fairytale to me. I think some of the fairy-type moves would fit them really well...

Masquerain I just don't get it why they changed it from bug/water to bug/flying. We have a lot of bug flying pokemon already. they should have left it bug/water.

Skitty & Delcatty Fairy instead of Normal, They look like fairy kitty-cats + we already have a few other Normal cat-type pokemon.

Blastoise Water/Steel it has cannons coming out his back... + the other two kanto starter have also dubble typing. (Grass-poison & Fire-Flying)

Stantler Normal/Psychic or Normal/Dark, This just doesn't sound normal to me + I think it will makes this Pokemon a lot more interesting.
    Bulbapedia: Stantler can distort reality and create illusions with its antlers by subtly changing the flow of air around them. Staring into them creates an odd sensation, as if one is being sucked through them, and one may become so dizzy that it is impossible to stand.

BumpsnStumps

A Lonely Stump
    Years
  • Druddigon, it has wings, so why isn't it Dragon/Flying? Another case of a Pokemon that has wings but can't learn fly, like Scyther. Also, Goodra IMO should be Dragon/Poison. It is made of goo and can learn Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave, and the additional poison type would get rid of the Fairy weakness. But I guess they didn't want Goodra to be like Dragalge.

Years
  • It seems like people have issues with the fairy type. I don't know what actually classes as a fairy. Clefable is my base for the group.

The Gyarados typing confuses me too. He looks a dragon, but maybe that's just how his reference fish looked? If it was a legendary flying fish, I guess Flying/Water makes sense.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
  • I always wonder why Psyduck isn't water/psychic. I mean, it has multiple psychic moves and Psy kn its name! When Pokémon aren't the obvious types, it seems like such a joke. I also wish Flying was its own separate type. Nearly all Flying type are flying /normal, which doesn't make sense. The only pure flying type is one of the legends. When I think of normal, I think of Pokémon that don't have features that fit them into another type.

Years
  • I always wonder why Psyduck isn't water/psychic. I mean, it has multiple psychic moves and Psy kn its name! When Pokémon aren't the obvious types, it seems like such a joke. I also wish Flying was its own separate type. Nearly all Flying type are flying /normal, which doesn't make sense. The only pure flying type is one of the legends. When I think of normal, I think of Pokémon that don't have features that fit them into another type.

I never realised that.... Why arent Pokemon like Pigeot, Fearow, or Swellow just flying type? My brain hurts a little cause there is only one pure Flying type. >.<

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    there's a lot of legendaries that should of been retyped with fairy. Most of them have already been mentioned here, lake trio, celebi, and cresselia.

also

psyduck/golduck - water/psychic
    porygon line - psychic
    hoothoot/noctowl - psychic/flying
    sudowoodo - rock/fighting or fighting
    stantler - normal/psychic
    lugia - water/flying or dragon/water or dragon/flying
    skitty/delcatty - fairy
    huntail - water/dark
    gorebyss - water/psychic
    luvdisc - water/fairy
    audino - fairy
    basculin - water/dark
    shelmet - bug/steel
    meloetta - fairy/psychic

Years
  • I'm one of those who thinks Audino's regular form should have been Normal/Fairy-type. I don't get why it was only limited to the Mega, but that's like a mystery one would never know for a long time.

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    Charizard should odviously be a dragon/fire or a dragon/flying type, I mean come on, fire/flying, I mean really..it looks like a dragon
    Pikachu should be a electric/fairy typing along with Raichu, I mean they both suit the category very well for different reasons

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Charizard should odviously be a dragon/fire or a dragon/flying type, I mean come on, fire/flying, I mean really..it looks like a dragon
    Pikachu should be a electric/fairy typing along with Raichu, I mean they both suit the category very well for different reasons

Pikachu has enough trouble holding his own as it is, lets not give him more weaknesses. Plus,given that the yellow mouse is my favourite pokemon, and fairy type well...isn't. I'm gonna have to pass on that one.
    I do get where you're coming from though

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022

A part of me is still surprised that they didn't give Pikachu the Fairy type in Gen VI so that they could draw attention to the new typing.

That generation also introduced possibly the worst type combination I've seen, Rock/Ice. Considering it's given to a defensive pokemon (Amaura), it's weak to the most common offensive types (Fighting, Ground, Rock).

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • A part of me is still surprised that they didn't give Pikachu the Fairy type in Gen VI so that they could draw attention to the new typing.

That generation also introduced possibly the worst type combination I've seen, Rock/Ice. Considering it's given to a defensive pokemon (Amaura), it's weak to the most common offensive types (Fighting, Ground, Rock).

still useful against talonflame, but there are other much better pokemon out there who can counter it, like rhyperior

i also hold a very unpopular opinion and think celebi should be grass/flying, not grass/fairy.

other than that, i fail to see why can't samurott be water/fighting.

Years
  • I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of mentions of both Ninetales and Psyduck/Golduck deserving a secondary Psychic type. Granted, I know that there were plenty of Psychic types in the first generation, but as the series went on, it would've made sense to retroactively add the secondary type to them, seeing as both of their learnsets contain a large number of Psychic moves, and they show plenty of Psychic characteristics in other forms of media, too.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of mentions of both Ninetales and Psyduck/Golduck deserving a secondary Psychic type. Granted, I know that there were plenty of Psychic types in the first generation, but as the series went on, it would've made sense to retroactively add the secondary type to them, seeing as both of their learnsets contain a large number of Psychic moves, and they show plenty of Psychic characteristics in other forms of media, too.
    I definitely have thought this about the Golduck line, to the point of being thrown as a kid when I played Pokemon and found out that it wasn't part Psychic. My Pokemon trading card had it using Psychic moves and using psychic powers in the picture and Psyduck has 'psy' and always has headaches, what do you mean it isn't Psychic!?

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2015
    They missed the mark with the fairies a bit in my opinion. From my understanding, the Fairy-type should included Pokemon that have some basis on fae or similar mythology. So stuff like Clefairy and even Snubbull makes sense to me. Jigglypuff is pushing it, but I still accept it being a Fairy. Stuff like Mr. Mime and Marill on the other hand are just no-goes. Also, just because something is small and/or cute doesn't mean it should be a fairy, which is why I find myself shaking my head at people in this thread wanting to turn stuff like Bellossom or Skitty into a fairy. Misdreavus comes to mind as a Pokemon who should've gotten it but didn't.

A lot of times when I read threads like this, most of the type changes I see suggested are more in the lines of "I think this would be cool!" logic than something that makes sense to what the Pokemon is based on. Yanmega being a Dragon-type would be cool I'll admit, but I don't like the logic I normally see used that it's a dragonfly, because I can just as easily use that italicization logic to justify its current type by saying it's a dragonfly.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Charizard and Gyarados. They're literally dragons, but aren't Dragon type for some reason.

Limbo

Basically, I love glasses
    Years
  • I think dunsparce should be dragon type.

I know this was probably meant as a joke (or was it? o.o) but I actually agree with this, lol. Dunsparce is so... so Dunsparce. Giving him a dragon typing would give him even more of an edge. As if he doesn't already have enough edginess. He may not seem like much of a Dragon, but just give it time and you'll learn to appreciate him. ;P

As for others, I definitely agree that Ninetales and Psy/Golduck deserve a psychic typing. Yanmega, too, deserves a Dragon typing, but not Yanma, for reasons fairly obvious. But for Gyarados, I think Water/Flying is fine considering the mythology behind it. I just think Water/Dragon would have been great for its mega evolution. also water/dragun magikarp

For Charizard, I'm not sure.. I think it should be a Dragon-type for obvious reasons, but I'm glad it's not. Maybe it's just because that probably would have been OP considering the Pokemon available back in Gen I. And Fire/Flying isn't exactly the wrong typing for it, either. It's a Fire lizard/dragon thingy that does have wings and flies. I guess Dragon and Flying are both viable options for Charizard, which is why I think giving him a Fire/Dragon mega evolution was the perfect move to make. Now we can have both~ ;D

One Pokemon I think would be interesting to retype is Hariyama and Makuhita. They're based on sumo wrestlers, hence the Fighting, but from what I can tell they're also loosely based on punching bags. Maybe it's a bit of a long shot, but Normal/Fighting seems like an interesting combo for them. The Normal on account of the punching bag, and Normal being weak to Fighting. I'm sure you see the connection.

Back