• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need much help: been a disaster so far!

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    Normally I seem to be able to put together a decent in-game team, but XY seems to have been a disaster. Every second trainer battle I look at the typing of what I am facing, look at my team and... aww, man... I do not have a good match-up! I think I am too overwhelmed by the enormous number of Pokemon in this game and find it too difficult to sort through all the options.

I am happy to swap a couple of Pokemon when entering areas one would obviously be terrible (eg a Fire Pokemon is probably a poor choice while Surfing). I also typically carry a HM Slave through an area until I am certain I no longer need it. I have just entered Route 11 and have the following Pokemon:

Bug: Vivillon, Butterfree, Beedrill, Burmy, Ledian, Combee, Nincada, Volbeat, Illumise, Venipede, Dwebble, Yanma
    Dark: Scraggy, Absol, Inkay, Houndour
    Dragon: Axew, Bagon
    Electr: Pikachu, Plusle, Helioptile, Emolga
    Fairy: Floette, Swirlix, Snubbull
    Fight: Lucario, Pancham, Mienfoo, Meditite, Machop
    Fire: Pansear, Litleo, Charmeleon
    Flying: Fletchinder, Pidgeotto, Farfetch'd, Doduo, Ducklett, Zubat, Wingull, Taillow, Hawlucha, Sigilyph
    Ghost: Drifloon
    Grass: Pansage, Roselia, Skiddo, Gloom, Ferroseed
    Ground: Sandile, Hippopotas, Rhyhorn, Cubone
    Normal: Bunnelby, Zigzagoon, Bibarel, Dunsparce, Skitty, Furfrou, Furret, Kecleon, Audino, Smeargle, Snorlax, Whismur, Zangoose, Kangaskhan, Eevee
    Poison: Gulpin, Croagunk, Stunky
    Psychc: Kirlia, Kadabra, Espurr, Spoink, Woobat
    Rock: Lunatone, Solrock, Binacle, Onix, Amaura, Aerodactyl, Nosepass
    Steel: Honedge, Mawile
    Water: Frogadier, Panpour, Azumaril, Gyarados, Psyduck, Luvdisc

For biases, in the past I have always used my starter (Frogadier in this case). The Ralts line has long been my favourite Psychic too, though I think I need to reset the EVs on my Kirlia: tends to be killed faster than she can kill! I have been using the Bibarel as my HM Slave (Cut, Strength and Rock Smash at the moment). I want to run a balanced team that can adapt to the situation, with a nice mix of strikers and bulky options.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It could sometimes be tough to put together a well-balanced team, to be honest. If it were me, I probably would not worry about it, and use Pokémon that I feel are generally easy to utilize and whatnot.

I recommendation I would like to make, if you don't mind, is Talonflame, preferably one with Gale Wings ability. I don't believe Gale Wings Talonflame could be obtained until after we're done with defeating Pokémon League, but it could still be possible if we look for one on the GTS. This ability allows the Pokémon to strike first when executing flying-type moves, and it has access to a lot of them.

As for move-set, my suggestion would be Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Roost (this isn't really necessary as it's in-game; if we wish, we could replace it with some other attack), and U-Turn. I've had Talonflame on my team in my first run of Y version, and it has never ceased to impress, thankfully; it could be very reliable!

Back