• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Abilities Pokémon don't have you think they should?

Years
  • Just like the thread I made about moves that Pokémon don't have that you think they should, here we can mention abilities. Whether they be normal abilities or hidden ones, what abilities should certain Pokémon have?

For me, one that definitely comes to mind is this: why doesn't Mewtwo get Sheer Force for its Hidden Ability? Its Pokédex entry in (Heart) Gold states that all it can think about is defeating its foes because its power is at the ultimate level, so a Pokémon like that would fit Sheer Force perfectly, i'd think. It'd do it a lot more use than either of its given abilities, I can say that much.

How about you? Any abilities you think certain things should get? Discuss.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    This floats but doesn't have Levitate:

Magnemite_XY.gif

While this doesn't float but has Levitate:

Gengar_XY.gif

Whyyyyyyyyy

where is that one picture

SiriusAlpha

One and only
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    Vespiquen has Pressure instead of Swarm or something that makes more sense. What's up with that?

Sirfetch’d

I wish Castform also gained combat stats upon transformation into other formes with it's ability.

Other than that, I do agree with Zekrom that Magnemite and evos probably should at least have levitate as a HA because well...they are obviously floating and ground is their biggest weakness.

Years
  • lol man sheer force mewtwo would be so fuckin scary....

Hydreigon with intimidate, only purely because it actually looks like something that would be scary as hell. I mean, a part of me is surprised that it kind of didn't, being an angry-looking three-headed dragon...

I mean, I'm unsure if the ability would be all that useful, but it's definitely fitting!

Wow. I'm trying to imagine what Ghetsis' Hydreigon in BW, and (Iris' in) B2W2 to an extent, would be like if it had Intimidate. I mean in BW it's already broken enough, having such dominant type coverage, max IVs and a +Speed nature, so only the fastest of the fast can get the first hit on it, but with an automatic -1 Attack upon coming out, that would make it virtually impossible to OHKO.

And with all the people saying Magnezone with Levitate, I don't get too bothered by that, I mean we already have a Levitator that would be 4x weak to Ground if it didn't have that, haha.

Years
  • I agree with the above, Magnemite family should definitely have levitate. It might be really strong but it doesn't make sense that they don't!

As for other mons, I think it'd make sense if Golurk had Huge Power. It's dex entries do state that the seals on it are holding in immense power.

Also Vivillion should have Pixillate (and be fairy type for that matter).

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I feel like Lucario should get the "Guts" Ability (if only to have a pseudo-reference towards Lucario's Aura mechanic of the Super Smash Bros. series, in which his strength increases with the amount of damage that he's sustained).. It would've worked nicely being situated as a Hidden Ability; maybe being placed in a future quaternary Ability slot will suffice..?

-------------------

As for weather-based Abilities, I initially felt that Drought and Drizzle should remain exclusive to Groudon and Kyogre (Rayquaza also having Air Lock as an exclusive Ability would've worked, but then comes the more commonly-available Cloud Nine Ability to dampen things).. I was somewhat bummed when Ninetales and Politoed received Drought and Drizzle respectively (meaning that Groudon and Kyogre both lacked signature Moves and signature Abilities, lessening their legendary status a bit in my eyes), but I got over it when their Primal forms gave them buffed versions of Drought and Drizzle, respectively.

In any case, I still felt that if they had to go to non-legendary Pokemon, Drought and Drizzle would have been better suited on other Pokemon - Vulpix and Ninetales can't even learn Sunny Day by leveling up as of the release of Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire (yet strangely, Delphox, also inspired by kitsune, can learn Sunny Day by leveling up), and Politoed doesn't seem any more distinct than the various other Pokemon that can learn Rain Dance by leveling up in some form. Ulgamoth (Volcarona) and Masquerain seem more fitting for having Drought and Drizzle as Hidden Abilities in my opinion, as some of their Pokedex entries specifically allude to both sunlight and rainfall, respectively (Ulgamoth's fires are said to serve as a substitute for natural sunlight, and Masquerain's wings can signify impending rainfall - then again, there is the snag of Masquerain having difficulty flying when it rains >.<)..

Articuno should really have Snow Warning as a secondary/Hidden Ability by now.. I tend to perceive "passive weather manipulation" as a trait more befitting of legendary Pokemon. In Articuno's case, it was the first legendary Ice-type Pokemon and has Pokedex entries just littered with references to snowfall. Not to mention that it seems the most fitting and imposing candidate for a powerful "100% Blizzard under hailstorm" attack combination. I don't see why the Snow Warning Ability should be limited to non-legendaries like Abomasnow/Mega Abomasnow and Aurorus, especially when those two Pokemon could really benefit from other Abilities (like Flash Fire Abomasnow, amirite?)

As for Sand Stream, now that I think about it, I would not have pegged Tyranitar and Hippowdown as the sole users... I'm hoping that Flygon one day receives Sand Stream as a second/Hidden Ability, due to its numerous Pokedex entries mentioning it being the "Desert Spirit", being "always enveloped by a Sandstorm when flying", and its wing flapping sounding like singing (the sole thing heard within one of the Sandstorms that Flygon's wings whips up).

-------------------

This floats but doesn't have Levitate:

Magnemite_XY.gif

While this doesn't float but has Levitate:

Gengar_XY.gif

Whyyyyyyyyy

where is that one picture

whywouldyoudothat.jpg
    whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Manami Amamiya of Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! (in Episode 4) and Jackie Chan to the rescue, yo. But yeah, Magnet Rise and/or Air Balloon for Magnezone just doesn't cut it.. >_>

I wish Castform also gained combat stats upon transformation into other formes with it's ability.

Other than that, I do agree with Zekrom that Magnemite and evos probably should at least have levitate as a HA because well...they are obviously floating and ground is their biggest weakness.

Yeah; Castform the little guy needs all the help that it can get; it has such a nice gimmicky Ability..

Cacnea, Cacturne, and Maractus should have Rough Skin because they're cacti.

Frost Rotom should have Refrigerate because it's a refrigerator.

That would be a perfect Ability for Cacturne due to the lack of a proper secondary Ability. As for Maractus, I guess a quaternary/4th Ability slot will have to suffice someday.. Frost-Forme Rotom with the Refrigerate Ability makes sense, although by that token, I feel like the other Rotom forms would need additional/Hidden Abilities as well for "equality/balance" (except Wash-Forme Rotom; screw that piece of junk >.<) ..Aerilate for Fan-Forme Rotom, I guess?

-------------

For some reason, although somewhat unnecessary, I've envisioned Groudon getting Sand Stream as a Hidden Ability, in my opinion - mainly due to the earthy affiliation...this is one case in which I wouldn't mind the imbalance - although you could give Kyogre Snow Warning for the watery affiliation, it would have to be likely re-typed to Water/Ice to take proper advantage of hailstorms, which means normal Groudon might have to be re-typed Ground/Fire for "counterparting type duality" purposes...although Primal Kyogre would make more sense for Water/Ice typing since Primal Groudon is typed as Ground/Fire, although (Primal) Kyogre is more associated with rainfall via the Primordial Sea Ability.. >_> @_@

Last edited:
    Reactions: Nah

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Pokemon that floats like Magnemite line should deserve to have Levitate, but it's not right for Gasly's final form to levitate. Just look at his feet touching the ground, it's pre-evolved they're floating, but gengar isn't

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Mega Lucario should've gotten Aura Break instead of Adaptability. It is the Aura Pokemon, after all.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Are we only referencing existing abilities in this thread? Because in my opinion, Hydreigon should have Darkify.

1.3% Damage and Dark-typing for Normal-type moves, and turns the target into a Dark-type.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hitmonlee, the kicking pokemon, but has no ability that would be related to kicking unlike its cousin Hitmonchan, which has iron fist. But then again, an ability that increased the damage of kicking moves would be scary. High Jump Kick ;)) He does have Reckless though which does increase the damage of HJK but that's only for High Jump Kick and not other kicks that could have been useful, such as Blaze Kick for some extra coverage.

Years
  • Cacnea, Cacturne, and Maractus should have Rough Skin because they're cacti.

The problem is, Rough Skin has some exclusivity to shark-based Pokemon, like how Spider Web has exclusivity to spider-based Pokemon or Glare and Coil mostly being for serpent-based Pokemon.

As for what ability I want something to have, I'd be with those who say the Magnemite line needs Levitate. It's clearly floating in its animations so it's weird it doesn't naturally have it.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Instead of Rough Skin, why not consider Iron Barbs for the cacti Pokemon instead? It's still barbs, related to cacti.

Still fail to see why didn't Milotic get Multiscale or Adaptability.

This. So much. Cute Charm is the least best thing to have as a hidden ability, even if it does make some sense.

Years
  • I think the reason Milotic doesn't get Multiscale might be because the ability has some sort of exclusivity to Flying-types at present, given the only two Pokemon who have it at present are both Flying-types. Or maybe the ability would be too OP on it given Milotic is very defensive stat-wise.

Colorado290

Lazy Grump
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2015
    Why does Jolteon have Volt Absorb or Quick Feet? I mean theoretically, Volt absorb is pretty neat, except hardly any actual person who knows their types should attack an electric type with another electric type move anyway. Plus Quick Feet is somewhat redundant given Jolteon's speed. If anything, I would have given him Static or possibly Barbed Skin (or whatever it is that Druddigon and Ferrothorn have), given its spiky fur.

Flash Fire for Flareon is also another strange one for me. Maybe from a double battle perspective, I can understand it, but at the same time, who fights "fire with fire" if they have other neutral options. And Guts is a pretty okay ability, considering its already high attack power, but Flame Body would be better, IMO.

Mega Sceptile getting Lightning Rod is also another weird one for me. Tough Claws would be better given its large move pool of Physical attacks, (yet Special Attack is what they chose to give a boost to).

Mega Swampert getting Swift Swim is another one. I understand using it for weather teams, but... 1. That doesn't make sense, given his bulky appearance. 2. I feel like Drizzle would make a better ability for him.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • I think it would be pretty cool if Rapidash got Motor Drive as one of it's abilities. When people talk about cars, which have motors, the speed or whatever is measured in horse power, so it makes total sense to me.

It would also be interesting if Dodrio got it too, it's PokeDex description in Alpha Sapphire is "Apparently, the heads aren't the only parts of the body that Dodrio has three of. It has three sets of hearts and lungs as well, so it is capable of running long distances without rest." so it has some sense to it, in my opinion at least. It would really help it out competitively too giving it an immunity to a type that otherwise is super-effective against it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2023
    I remember when I first started playing pokemon, I never used ground moves against the Magnemite line, since I assumed it had the Levitate ability. After that, I never trusted logic in relation to pokemon.

Back