• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What are some of your best memories?

Years
  • Doing that Weedle thing from Viridian so I could "battle to catch" Safari Zone rares while surfing east coast Cinnabar.

Running around with an Ice Punch & Thunderpunch Gengar/Alakazam I had sent back from GS.

Listening to Arbok use Screech once. just once. Have 98% the time played Pokemon with the sound off ever since.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2015
    I think the best part was 1 not knowing who any of the pokemon were at the time, because it had just came out and pokemon was so new to the US, every time you came across a new pokemon it was like oh cool lets catch it and of course me and my cousin being the same age respectively got opposite games so we could trade back and forth, he had Red and I had Blue. I remember sitting in our rooms with the long cord so we could battle and trade with each other. The games and the gaming experience has become so much more advanced, honestly i feel like it was more enjoyable back then when you didn't know anything and just had to play and find out.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • That first Christmas morning, firing up Blue for the very first time, picking Bulbasaur and pissing my pants the first time I beat Brock. Magical times.

Also first discovering that the mythical SS Anne Truck was real. Shiz blew my idiot pre-teen mind.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • MissingNo., definitely. I already had Silver and had never played the first Generation, but after a friend in middle school told me about MissingNo., I told my parents that I wanted Red Version for Christmas (or maybe it was my birthday, idk).

Another memory, though not a good one, was getting stuck in the Unknown Dungeon. I wasn't using codes or anything and I somehow ended up on a rock after saving. I had to start a new game because I couldn't get off. :(

I also remember dreaming once that I found Articuno (as opposed to Moltres) in Victory Road. When I talked to it, it sayed "Articuno ate all of your Pokémon. Articuno ate your game!" and my Game Boy exploded. That dream terrified me as a kid! Now I dream about tornadoes, dead bodies, drowning in a car, and getting chopped up by an M&M's on skates with a katana. Heh...

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2022
    still smile when think my wartorle bublebeam animation! it was so powerfull! i was 8y.o. and i couldnt stop using it!
    and then my team! i complete pokemon blue many times! my best friend had pokemon red and we complete our dex again and again cause randomly our brothers keep deleting our savestates!
    I loved so much articuno+blastoise+kazam! i cant even remember the other member of my party! i keep using them again and again!

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • Blue: MY FIRST EVER POCKET MONSTERS GAME OH MY GOD?!!!! My dad got me a Gameboy Colour and a bunch of pre-owned games for my birthday (I must have been 5, 6 tops) and I started freaking out! Pokémon, my favourite cartoon and I could play it! I didn't understand how to start a New Game so I played as the games original owner to find out I was Pokémon League champion, and had a Level 86 Blastoise. I wandered around catching every cool Pokémon I could because I didn't know when I'd ever make it back there, good times!

Yellow: I had a somewhat less fun experience with Pokémon Yellow, 90% of the time it wouldn't turn on! I remember being in my Uncle's car and I got it to work, only to find out I had to turn it off cause we had to go shopping!!! I also remember playing to the end of Mt. Moon in front of a group of girls and my best friend in the year above me from school and thought I was so cool, until I got beaten by Jessie and James that is...

Silver: Silver was my first Pokémon game where I, somewhat knew what I was doing. I picked Cyndaquil as my starter as Ash had one in the anime. I played that game so much, and one time was playing it in school. I must have been 7 and somebody asked if they could have a turn, and I said yes. They took it and ran straight into the teacher, I was new and didn't know the rules and had my Gameboy confiscated. I'm pretty sure I cried, nice aha. I also remember never getting past the Ice Path it was impossible, so I never completed any of the GBC titles before I went back and made sure I was a true Pokémon Master!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I was the first person to solve the Saffron Gate 'roadblock'! No one knew how to bypass those guards when we were young! {XD}

Years
  • I remember really struggling to get to Fuchsia City for some reason, so when I finally got there I could've cried tears of joy :P
    Catching Articuno and showing off about it in school the next day (I was like 8 haha).
    When I FINALLY GOT THE CARD KEY IN SILPH CO.
    Solving the guards' 'thirsty' problem (I was ecstatic)
    Training a Pidgeot to Level 96 when the rest of my team were stuck somewhere in the 20s because I wasn't aware of having a 'balanced team' back then :P Ahh, that Pidgeot...
    And of course, MissingNo glitch.
    I also remember first listening to the National Park music and thinking ''wow...''

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I started with Blue right when Yellow came out (my sister got yellow and we had to share a Gameboy) - I remember finally managing to get all the way to the Elite 4, with no concept of a balanced team BUT having watched the anime, the fighters I was fighting in Victory Road I was convinced were the actual Pokemon League battles...total noob.

I remember getting Gold when I was off sick from school and playing it religiously (even in school after I got better). Some of my best memories:

-- Figuring out Lapras on Fridays
    -- Chasing Entei all around the damn world, using the 'two routes adjacent' tactic which I don't fully even remember now.
    -- Taking 2 hours to figure out the paths in the Burned Tower then being uber excited about Ho-oh.

Best one:

Finishing the Johto Elite 4 and discovering that we got to do it ALL again in Kanto; revisiting all of the original stuff. That sealed the 2nd Generation as my favourite for life.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2023
    I think the best part was 1 not knowing who any of the pokemon were at the time, because it had just came out and pokemon was so new to the US, every time you came across a new pokemon it was like oh cool lets catch it and of course me and my cousin being the same age respectively got opposite games so we could trade back and forth, he had Red and I had Blue. I remember sitting in our rooms with the long cord so we could battle and trade with each other. The games and the gaming experience has become so much more advanced, honestly i feel like it was more enjoyable back then when you didn't know anything and just had to play and find out.

I agree with this 100%, but convenience beats being social for most people so... eh.

My most memorable moment from the first gen is beating Brock's Gym with my Charmander. Solidified Charmander's place as my favorite Pokemon and it always will be. I had other Pokemon in my team but Charmander really pulled it through for me in that gym.

Years
  • When I stomped team rocket in celadon, then lavender, and finally in saffron. Felt like I was a good hero. Then I wanted to join team rocket because I wanted to be evil xD. I never had bulbasuar in yellow because I didn't know to spam potions on pikachu. And catching a lvl 255 chansey was nuts in red xD
    Edit
    And I only did the in game trades, because I had no friends. So I've never been able to get gengar, alakazam, or golem. Got machamp in yellow which to this day is still the only pokemon I've ever got in a trade (in game) that evolved.

Last edited:

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • Back when I was very young I took my older cousin's Pokemon yellow game and released most his Pokemon because I didn't know how to read back then.

I also remember when I got a little older I had a haunter like level 55 and didn't know how to evolve him so I kept training him.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I remember playing Pokemon Blue first, getting all the way through it and then killing Mewtwo because I didn't have any pokeballs and had wasted my master ball on a Kadabra because I was a dumb little kid and didn't know what I was doing haha. Then I set off to training that Kadabra so that it could evolve into Alakazam but it never did since it has to be traded, but of course I didn't know that so I ended up catching like a whole box full of Kadabra and just kept training them and I would get so upset because I couldn't figure out why they weren't evolving.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2015
    My favorite experience was with blue. My very first time playng the game. My friend was asleep so I decided to see what all the fuss was. My first encounter was a seel in the seafoam islands. The pokemon I threw out was a Wartortle I believe. It was not very hard to figure out what i had to do. The menu was pretty straight forward. My friend was telling me about a mysterious blue bird that he wanted and it was in a special cave. At that time I had no idea.

While I battled the seel I explored the menu. Checked the bag. He had a lot of revives and different potions. A bunch of ultra balls and a master ball. I had thought to use the master ball on the seel but chose not to. I ended up using bubblebeam. saw it didn't hurt the seel much. Used bite which hurt it a bit more. Then used body slam and the seel fell from the screen and I heard a ding. Wartortle had gotten stronger. But then the screen changed. The Wartortle was mutating into a big black blob. I freaked out and saw the text state "press b to cancel" so I did. I did not want my friend to be upset that I turned his cool turtle into a blob of black with no picture.

I explored for a long while. pushng stones as I found them and going further underground. I fought a lot of different pokemon. All of them except one I could beat easily with body slam. The one that seemed stronger than the rest was a starfish like pokemon. I figured it was special because it had a gem on it's body so every time I found one I caught it.

Eventually I learned how to use surf and I noticed the stones in the water. So I surfed around until I saw a pokemon unlike the rest. It was standing. A blue bird. I figured it had to be special. I went up to it and the battle began. The Wartortle was level 38 but this bird was lv 50. I had to swap. I ended up tossing out a pidgeot which was knocked out. I began to panic. I could see why my friend wanted this pokemon so bad.

4 of my pokemon had fainted and I was struggling to keep them alive. I would revive one just to have the other knocked out. Eventually I sent wartortle back out and he survived a hit with a good amount of hp. so i began healing him every 2 turns and reviving others in between. After a while I started body slamming the bird but it barely did damage at all. I was running low on potions and revives and I really wanted to impress my friend so I decided it was time to throw that master ball. The ball hit the bird and dropped to the floor, 1, 2, 3. Aticuno was caught. When he woke up I told him what happened and he was upset I used his master ball but he was also impressed I had found the mysterious bird and captured it

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I have one really specific memory of Yellow Version, that's probably one of my first really profound Pokémon memories at all. It was when I had just turned 7, and the night before we were moving into our new house, I remember staying up a little late that night when I was supposed to be sleeping on the couch, and I was thinking about moving away, and playing my Yellow Version and I had just evolved my Charmeleon into Charizard and getting really excited about it. Idk why, but that moment really just stands out to me for some reason, maybe it was some deep personal meaning of change or something haha. But regardless, that's probably one of my most favorite moments with RBY.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    After days of failing to beat my rival in Yellow to become Champion I finally managed to beat him and watching my Nidoking finish his Jolteon off is still to this day one of my favorite moments in Pokemon.

mjb8910

mjb8910
    Years
  • Surfing up and down Cinnabar Island duplicating TMs Vitamins, Rare Candies. There were also Snorlaxs that over levelled and would go down to level 100 after one battle. Snorlax was probably the most reliable Pokémon I had on my Red game

GSC was amazing! I loved the fact that you could transport pokemon from RBY and send them back again. I wish you could still do that in Gen 6

Back