• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Green did you just...?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
So i was playing japanese Pokemon Blue, beat "Gary"/Green in the Pokemon tower, and he cursed on me! (he said Kyuso!) I saw a YT video and Team rocket member said "kuso" (shit), what gives, does Pokemon really is like DB, and will be treaten as a adult show in the future?

Years
I've seen that particular word used a few times in anime. Notably the Megaman OVA in which Dr. Wily shouts it. From what I understand, kuso not seen as a particularly strong swear word. While it translates to "muk" (though PC's word filter might change what that says), it could also mean something like "crap" or "curses!". All of which invoke similar feelings, but have slightly different connotations in English. Language is funny that way. :)

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
lest start from the point that "pocket monsters" wasn't meant to kids, since Ken Sugimori art where simple " cute" for something more elaborated, they don't planned doing something more than a shounen, when it come famous, so there come the anime to call the younger public, the west used the anime together with the game, aiming directly and only to the kids public (like everything they bring up :p ), so I believe, even more with the start some "stronger" things could have been on the text/context but where changed xD (You know, hypno's pokedex entry being kinda scary is an example that they wasn't planning a " kids safe" piece xD )

"Kuso" ins't like a bad word, on HGSS a rocket only say that when you defeat him xD [japanese, of course :v ] yu can heard it on every adventure shounen anime hahah

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Neither Pokémon nor DB are adult franchises. What are you even talking about?

DB is on adult swim, and Pokemon has adult themes in the anime (such as that kid trying to suck Kasumi's breasts)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Considering they're pretty much aimed toward the younger generation of gamers, it's understandable we don't see "shit" in any of the new games. I never picked up on it myself considering I don't understand Japanese, but it adds a more mature charm to the games I think. I mean, that's what I'd say if I got thrashed my a 10-year old in a Pokemon battle, haha.

Years
I mean, a couple of swear-words aren't necessarily going to lead to it being considered an 'adult' series, which might require something more lewd. Swear words by themselves are quite prudish in a way. You sort of wonder what Pikachu must be like in a bad mood, though, no doubt a bit bitter.

Years
I suppose Its a cool thing!! Kusssoooo :D
Speaking of which, it would be kind of fun if Pokemon were to be considered 'adult' and hence not played on the basis of such words being used. Poor ghosts, nobody listens to the buggers. If the people in the Tower all started acting like demonic Pikachu, then they'd show them all. They would all learn the true power of ghosts (as opposed to their own Pokémon, trying to check which could always lead to a nasty surprise.)

Reactions: Del

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Speaking of which, it would be kind of fun if Pokemon were to be considered 'adult' and hence not played on the basis of such words being used. Poor ghosts, nobody listens to the buggers. If the people in the Tower all started acting like demonic Pikachu, then they'd show them all. They would all learn the true power of ghosts (as opposed to their own Pokémon, trying to check which could always lead to a nasty surprise.)

I totally agree with you, same mentality!
I hope If someone make a game with uncensored words, and nasty story line, with you know... XD
Outlaw, Quartz used cursing words and stuffs, It was kind of funny, and other hacks i even don't remember clearly their names but, Its amusing!

colter519

Youngster
Years
I think something important to realize is that Japanese and English don't translate to one another word for word, so attempting a direct translation in that way is kind of iffy. Also, cursing/profanity doesn't equate very well between English and Japanese at all. I'm not familiar with Japanese vulgar/offensive language very well, but in another Asian language their most offensive phrase literally translates to "tiger bite". I've looked up kuso and it's shown up in varying levels of intensity from nothing at all, mildly offensive, and extremely offensive, so I question how trustworthy the internet is there.

As for other cultural things that were edited out in America, it's important to realize that cultures are different, and some things that are considered taboo or 'adult' in nature in one culture could be commonplace, acceptable, or at least not hidden away in another. It's interesting to note that many episodes are edited for various reasons that aren't even remotely 'adult' (jelly donuts anyone?) And honestly, I don't see how the kid being raised by Kangaskhan wanting breastmilk from Misty is sexual. He's literally a wild child and nudity is common in anime even for younger audiences because of cultural norms in Japan.

Years
Seriously...?
This person very much epitomises the spirit of 'Green did you just...?' This thread might be redundant from this post on.

Anyway, though, they did say 'treated,' they did not ask whether or not you were a child when you felt permitted to watch them. Well, they said 'treaten.' Perhaps that should be taken for swearing under their breath. In that context it might be more appropriate to express what about that post was difficult to take seriously, or rather which aspect, as there are perhaps a few. It would be nice if an Entei fan were to make a faux pas since Molly Hale.

I hope If someone make a game with uncensored words, and nasty story line, with you know... XD
Outlaw, Quartz used cursing words and stuffs, It was kind of funny, and other hacks i even don't remember clearly their names but, Its amusing!
Well, I mean, Quartz was a bit innocuous rather than nasty, but Fakemons would frequently be improved by being replaced with swear-words. Or others, like Kyogre, although it might have caused them to be asked to sit in a corner for a bit. Cyndaquil already does this, apparently. I guess that Ruby and Sapphire are kind of like obscure hacks, though. Anyway, someone should perhaps make a game, if they wished for an easy entry, drawing on Yellow, where a Pikachu is uncensored and just keeps loudly assaulting everything, I'm sure it might have a bit to say about certain things, and the ending is just them staring voyeuristically at a Ho-Oh, needing nothing more. Then Blue can have an Eevee and call it cute in a vain attempt to make it evolve, but edgily it turns into Glitch City and he is trapped forever. Blue becomes what he always swore to destroy, Gary Oak.

Back