• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Spiritomb

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    What do you think about it?

For fans of Sableye from Generation III we got another Pokémon with no weaknesses (prior to Fairy type) in the form of the bizarre looking Spirtomb.

In order to encounter the Pokémon in all Sinnoh games, the player must first obtain the Odd Keystone, place it in to the Hallowed Tower then enter the Underground to speak to 32 different, or the same person 32 times. Only then will the Spiritomb appear in front of the tower.

It always confused me as to why Game Freak went about introducing this Pokémon in this way, but seeing as interaction was/is the prior most important objective in the game's franchise, it does make sense. It is, however rather cryptic. Arguably more so than the Braille in Gen III games.

On the face of it, the method to encounter it sounds rather like those farfetch'd (pun?) methods to obtain Mew in Gen I or Jirachi in Gen III. Maybe Game Freak were acknowledging that here?

Did you ever use it? What did you think of the method required to find it? Was it worth it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I wasn't too fond of this Pokémon at first; to me, its design looked sort of hideous. After battling with it while going up against Cynthia, though, I've started to grow respect, and eventually became a fan. Later, I've decided to try Spiritomb myself, and turned into full-fledged one; my opinion on this Pokémon had changed completely.

All-in-all, Spiritomb is pretty great. You'd need to be a bit of an expert when it comes to utilizing, though, but aside from that, it doesn't give you much trouble at all. I've had it on my team in my second Pokémon Platinum run, and was quite satisfied. It was even able to take down one of the Elite Four members (can't remember which) single-handedly, which was quite impressive!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I didn't know of its existence until the Champion battle...I soon realised it was a Sableye in disguise. I used it competitively back when it was still good at that, and came to like it. Never got my hands on one in-game until my brother slightly damaged my Diamond cartridge and I thought he'd damaged my DS and I got a second. Interacting with yourself 32 times is hellishly time-consuming :/

Never used it in-game as I like so many pokémon in Sinnoh already, but I am a fan. The methods for obtaining it seem so weird though...like why 32? 72 I'd understand, it's the meaning of life after all, and this pokémon is found in a tomb :P
    But 32; So random from GameFreak there, I definitely would not have figured that one out on my own.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Well, seeing as how I absolutely hated Cynthia's Spiritomb, I didn't like the Pokemon in general. It looks creepy and has a typing that was, back then, hard to take care of, along with some good defensive stats and quite the movepool. I never bothered getting one because the process was just so tedious. It was a pretty cool concept though, and I really liked how it helped to promote the use of the Underground.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Cynthia's Spiritomb was a pain in the ass, and that's why I liked it 8) Any challenge in the Elite Four is totally accepted by me. I remember playing DPPt and really wanting a Spiritomb, but I never ended up getting one because I didn't have 32 people (or even one person) to talk to underground, so there goes that.

Years
  • Lol it seems like everyone had a problem with Cynthia's Spiritomb. I find it a bit funny cos it was the easiest one to beat, my Noctowl pretty much crashed it without any problems.. :D

Back