• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle of the browsers!

Years
  • It's that thread again, PC. Time to see which internet browser people use, and see why they think it's better than others! ;D

• So which internet browser do you use?
    • Why do you think it's better than others?
    • Have you always used it, or not?

Years
    Firefox

Its Open source, has good plugins (I only really use Adblock plus these days though). It also has the best looking interface in my opinion to. On the downside Firefox is a bit slow and resource heavy but they are fair prices to pay for it being Open source.

Pretty much, I used IE before that and have used Chrome a bit but didn't adopt it as my main browser because I don't want to be over dependent on Google. Also tried Opera but it seemed bit inferior to firefox.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Another ob BoTB thread eh

1. Firefox/Chrome
    2. Firefox have a quick load when open and it have customization, but chrome shares the same too, but when loading a single pages it took more than a minute after it was start up.
    3. I always use Firefox due to fast opening speed and it isn't a resource hog.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I'm currently using Chrome. I don't particularly think it's that much better than other browsers (apart from IE and Safari, ugh), but it works for me so I stick with it, and I haven't had a good enough reason to switch away provided to me. I've used Chrome for a few years now, but I used to use Firefox for a while before switching to Chrome when I felt like Firefox just wasn't doing it for me, though I'm not really sure what my exact reasoning was back when I switched.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • 1. I'm currently using Firefox.
    2. Of course it's better because I can customize my Firefox to everything I wanted it to be.
    3. I used it most of the time, even though I often use it alongside with SRware Iron at times.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Using Opera because I'm a hipster. Don't think it's better than Firefox but it doesn't feel worse. I've used Firefox and Chrome for the most part of the last decade.

Years
  • • Right now, I've managed to switch over to Chrome, at least on my desktop. Was Pale Moon up until the other week or so.

• I switched to Chrome because while Pale Moon was working out well for me, I noticed there were some pages that I wanted to look at that wouldn't load properly in anything but Chrome. In the interest of not having to open up another browser just to look at one or two websites, I decided to try again to make the switch to Chrome, as I had tried before but for whatever reason it hadn't stuck - probably because I didn't have everything set up like how I wanted it. I need my addons, I don't feel right not having certain ones.

But as for "why I think it's better" in general - just like Pale Moon, I think it's better because it seems to run better than what I had been using beforehand. Sorry Firefox, I love you but you were becoming such a resource hog.

• Pretty much just started using Chrome. I had been using Pale Moon up until then, and I started using that...sometime last year or so? Switched to it from Firefox because I needed something that wasn't going to lag my system as much. And this was after using Firefox since 2003 or so.

Pokémon Trainer 188

Safari!

Why do you think it's better than others?
    It's light and Safari 8 is very fast! It also looks much better than the other ones I've used! I use it on Mac OS X and on Windows although the Windows one is getting a little old as the last release was in 2012.

Have you always used it, or not?
    I used to use Chrome but I found it to be sluggish and it would always close my tabs for no apparent reason?

Years
    I use Firefox. The only other browser I have on my computer was the default Internet Explorer.

In my experience, I've always found Firefox faster than Chrome, and I'm not a big fan of Google collecting my data every single time I do something. I mean, I'm sure Firefox probably does something similar, but at least I don't know about it :p

When Chrome first became a thing a few years ago, that's when I switched over from IE. I used that for about 2 or 3 years, until I was trying to use a web app (can't remember which for the life of me) that only worked in Firefox, so I downloaded it and tried it out. Once I found it to be faster than Chrome, I switched over to Firefox and haven't looked back since.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    So which internet browser do you use?
    I use Firefox.

Long ago I did a test with multiple browsers, and Firefox came out on top. Even a not well known browser, Comodo Dragon (which is based from Google Chrome) did even better than it's counterpart. I've been so used to Firefox that I won't change browsers yet.

I did originally use IE8 until around 2010, when someone recommended me Firefox. I couldn't believe it's speed at the time, and that's when I started using it.

Coffee

Banned
    Years
    Chrome, nuff said.
    Cause it's Chrome...
    Always, Chrome masterrace!

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
      Google Chrome. I occasionally switch to Firefox, if I feel like it.
      Probably because it opens up faster than the rest. Other than that, I don't really know nor think it's better than others.
      Yeah, always have since it was out.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I've used Firefox as my main browser for a long time now and it has been working flawlessly. Chrome works just as well but two main reasons I find Firefox to be 'better' is one addon: DownThemAll which I've been using as my main download manager to speed up downloads. Firefox doesn't nag about addons not being fom the chrome web store so for some particular addons it's preferable to use firefox.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Chrome is my primary Internet Browser to use.

FireFox for some reason is really freaking laggy to me back when I started using the internet on a daily basis, so I switched to Google Chrome. I've never really used the other browsers though. Opera, probably for gMail 'cause I'm too lazy to register more accounts on Chrome haha, 'cause I browse through Youtube here.

Aside from a brief moment using IE to grab FireFox, I've used FireFox for about a year or so before switching to Chrome. Never looked back since I switched haha.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years

Google Chrome

I use a lot of Google apps, sites, etc, so they would no doubt be optimized for Chrome. Maybe it doesn't make it better, but in that way, you can't really miss.

I used IE for my whole life until a few years ago because Facebook was not being kind until I used Chrome.

Years
  • I use Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, since as a sometimes web developer, I feel like the three sufficiently handles my target users. I don't tend to test for Internet Explorer, since I do a chunk of my work on Mac OS and Linux, so the latest versions of IE tend to inaccessible to me. An additional reason to avoid IE is because Windows Phone is not part of my target, and Safari/Chrome/Firefox are pretty visible in the mobile space. I don't use Opera, as Opera uses Blink and V8, so testing in Chrome covers Opera as well.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I'm having a hard time finding a browser that Ireally like, so I find myself switching back and forth quite a lot, which may be evident in the fact that I have 6(!) browsers currently pinned to my taskbar, 4 of which I actually have webpages opened in.
    browsers.PNG

I'm currently using Firefox to write this in, because it, in my opinion, is the most comfortable user-experience-wise, with everything that I dislike being easily changed with add-ons. I also have it set up to take up the least horizontal space at the top (40px) while still being easily usable without changing browsing habits.

One thing that I don't like about Firefox, however, is the way that it interacts with Youtube. Little things like the comments box popping up in the wrong place, the HTML5 video occasionally acting up which results in frequently seeing the flash player instead or it simply not loading at all make for an unpleasant experience, which is why I tend to use Opera or Chromium for Youtube.

Another browser that is really something special and that I really want to love is Vivaldi. Coming from the premise of reliving the glory days of version 12 Presto Opera but with updated rendering engine. Built on Chromium and Blink, but with all the bells and whistles that make the Browser so much more enjoyable to use. But being an unfinished product in pre-beta stages, it has some rough edges which keep it from being my daily driver.

Which leaves us with the one and only, simultaneously my most beloved and disliked browser: Internet Explorer. Yes, I know what you're thinking, I am an idiot and I haven't seen a real browser, but I genuinely enjoy using IE, and there is one feature in particular which negates all of the flaws that this browser has: IE has the most smooth and comfortable scrolling I have ever experienced. Buttery smooth, doesn't drop frames, and while pleasant to see, it is still lightning-fast at scrolling, so unlike the smoothing of Firefox, is doesn't feel like scrolling is making you go slower. Nothing beats this, and if I just want to read up on something, scroll through some pages, I enjoy doing it in IE, because of this. The lack of extensions is seriously the only thing keeping me away from using IE as my sole daily driver, but even then, it is mostly Lastpass that I need, not really anything else, since basic ad-blocking is built into the browser. I love IE, and I can't wait to see what Edge will bring once Windows 10 is finalized, because currently, IE is my favorite browser.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I'm very fond of Chrome. The new features that link your Google account with the browser are also very useful for me, since I usually log in from two or more different computers.

I like Firefox and Opera as well, but due to the above I prefer to stick with Chrome. In any case I still have Firefox in my PC as backup, just in case!

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    google chrome
    i just like how it looks with tumblr blogs and it just looks more glossy and modern.
    no. i use to use internet explorer, but blogs on tumblr didnt look great in internet explorer so i downloaded google chrome. i just think it looks better and a lot of websites look better using google chrome.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I switched from Firefox to Google Chrome a few years ago, and stuck with Chrome. I like the fact that I can sync up various devices with my Google account, so I can easily bounce between my Android phone, tablet, and desktop computer without losing anything. It also has a lot of apps and extensions that I find useful, and it's easy to install them onto Chrome.

Besides, Chrome is the best browser for Global Pokedex Plus!

Back