• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TCG: Do you collect/play?

Lexa

My maturity level depends on who I'm with. ;D
Years
Hi!
I want to liven the TCG section up so I figured I'd start by with this thread!

Here are a few questions I figured some people might like to answer!
You don't have to answer all of them if you don't want to.

1. How did you get started with the TCG?
  2. Do you have a favorite card you own?
  3. What about a card you wish you owned?
  4. How long have you been into collecting?
  5. Do you actively trade at all?
  6. Do you play TCGO (Trading Card Game Online)?

Lexa

My maturity level depends on who I'm with. ;D
Years
WOO! Look at all of the replies coming in - so overwhelmed! I can't keep up with it!

I guess I'll start! Hopefully this will generate some traffic!

1. When I was a child, my cousin got into Pokémon then introduced my younger sister and I. The both of us became immediately addicted and had to collect the cards! I never thought it was last this long but it has and eventually I want to pass down my collection to my future children.

2. I have several favorites but if I had to absolutely choose one it would be Rapidash from the original base set. There's nothing like a classic card from back in the days. It's even better looking back and thinking how old the card is and the shape it's in!

3. I just recently acquired my "dream" card which is the Mew EX Full Art holo card. As soon as I saw it I immediately fell in love with it. A lovely friend up in Canada willingly sent it to me as a Christmas gift along with a Ponyta and Rapidash card for my horse collection! <3

4. I've been collecting on and off since 1999.

5. Only recently have I actually begun to trade. I trade online via the Instagram community where there are thousands of TCG traders!

6. Yes, I play every day now. My ID is Draftie for anyone interested in making a new friend on there. I'm always up for a friendly battle so HMU!

Years
How did you get started with the TCG?
I honestly don't really remember, other than I started to collect pretty early on. I think I started out splitting a Starter Deck with my cousin, though.

Do you have a favorite card you own?
Probably would be my POP Series 5 Espeon* . It's a very rare and cool looking card. At least, I think it's from POP Series 5.

What about a card you wish you owned?
Uh... Prerelease Raichu. I'd love to have that. Or Pikachu Illustrator. The latter would cost me more than my car is worth, though, so that'll probably be out of my reach for a while.

How long have you been into collecting?
Since either 1999 or 2000. Not exactly sure which.

Do you actively trade at all?
Nah. No one to trade with that has something I don't already have 5 or 6 of that lives in close proximity. Everyone with something worthwhile to trade for lives at least an hour away. Plus, I don't like trading away copies of cards I only have one of... I'd rather just buy the card I'm looking for than trade away my only copy of a card.

Do you play TCGO (Trading Card Game Online)?
I haven't touched that in months. I'm very fickle with building decks, so that makes building a deck in the TCGO a time-consuming process.

icycatelf

Alex
Years

180px-JigglypuffJungle54.jpg

I got into Pokémon when I was in 4th grade (the year Pokémon the First Movie came out). My family was having financial problems at the time, so I couldn't afford to go to see the movie or buy Pokémon merchandise. A classmate gave me a Burger King Butterfree card after I bugged him about it (no pun intended), but it wasn't until the next year that I got my first actual TCG card. My parents gave me a few dollars for the school festival and I spent it all on a Jungle Jigglypuff card that a classmate was selling, only to find out a week or so later that the classroom across the hall was selling Pokémon cards for 25 cents apiece. Keep in mind that the only places that sold Pokémon cards around that time were hobby stores that I was never able to go to. It wasn't until sometime during high school that I finally figured out how to play and I managed to get a few friends into it.

180px-EeveeVendingS1.jpg

It's a tie between my Southern Islands Mew and Vending Series Eevee. None of the stores around here sold the Southern Islands binder, so it was a treat when I found the reverse holographic Mew card in the back of a blister pack. The Eevee was given to me by a friend, a neighbor and classmate, before he moved away. It was also my first glossy card and the artwork is adorable.

180px-ShiningMewCoroCoroPromo.jpg

CoroCoro Shining Mew *drool*

200px-HereComesTeamRocketTeamRocket15.jpg

I've never been a hardcore collector, but I've been buying the cards on-and-off since the Rocket set hit Dollar Tree shelves (I don't remember the year). However, I slowed down immensely after the DP sets and pretty much stopped completely by the BW sets (mostly because I thought that the templates and foil were ugly). I've only bought 2 or 3 packs of the XY series cards and haven't been impressed. I still get the occasional pack as gifts on my birthday or Christmas.

180px-MewTriumphant97.jpg

I've traded for a few cards on YouTube over the past couple years, but that's about it. I don't know anyone IRL who still collects Pokémon cards. I try to avoid trading via mail for the most part because I can usually buy cards I like on eBay for what it would cost to ship the cards.

180px-Ho-OhNeoRevelation18.jpg

Nope. Some of my favorite cards were from the earlier sets, and since PTCGO doesn't have those, I don't see the point.​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
I started playing with my kids to introduce them to trading card games when they were between 6 and 8 years old, mid to late nineties. We learned the basics of the game with the 2-player starter set. I have never seriously collected, but taught the game to a number of kids since. Lately, I reconnected with the game and built a Pokémon cube. This was quite a crash course on most sets and I discovered the many versions of the Pokémons that are part of this cube.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
Hey folks, just signed up and thought this looked a good place to introduce myself.

When I was in primary 2 (second grade in the states) while playing Soccer (lol) one day a friend of mine was talking about this new collectable game. He was telling me about it and tbh I wasn't really paying attention. Anyway he gave a card, I immediately put it in my pocket and carried on kicking the ball about. A few days later I found this card in my desk and it all started from there, I've since had that card graded and have it framed on my wall. A PSA 4 Base set Farfetch'd.

Obviously I'm very very fond of my Farfetch'd however I'd say either my base set Charizard or my Shaymin Ex from the Radiant Collection, this was the card I got in my first booster in years.

Black and White Plasma Storm Charizard secret rare.

Started collecting in 2000, stopped around the launch of Neo Genesis. Started again a year ago after finding a booster in my local Tesco store, BWLT...

I'm very active in the UK on social media and at events, I also trade on the site tradecardsonline (same username)

Yes I do, same username feel free to add me.

Lauren92

#pokemonforlife
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen May 3, 2015
I started when the base set came out when I was about 6 years old. Being a child, I could never really look to complete sets or anything like that, but I've always treasured the cards I owned. I still have all of the cards from then, and since I was a strange child obsessed with preserving all of my Pokemon merchandise of any kind, they're in great shape haha

It's hard to pick just one... It changes for me often as well. For right now, I'd have to say this one:
iSgEvGv.jpg

I'm only missing this last card in this "Radiant Collection" I believe it's called. So right now it'd be this:
A37dVTS.jpg

I've been collecting on and off, similarly to everyone who's posted so far. Pokemon is an expensive hobby, so I try not to be too obsessed with it and just collect the cards/Pokemon I like.

My best friend still collects as well, but she's the only one I've traded with. I haven't ever traded online or anything.

I tried it, but I've never been good at the card game. I enjoy collecting, but know only the very basics of the game. Because of this, I just have a HUGE stack of these codes I haven't used lol. I can't decide if I should try it or not really.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
When I was a kid I collected the original series of Pokemon cards, with the really wishy washy colours and thick borders. Man I loved them. I had like 3 shopeboxes full of cards (I think I still have about 1-2). Now, I only keep my rares and favourite Pokemon. I'm not a fan of the current TCG -- never really got into battling in either generation; I was more of a collector. Nonetheless, Pokemon cards nowadays are expensive as heck (same as Yugioh cards), and I'd much rather put my money towards something else. :L

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
Years
1. I first started for when I was a kid, but around I'll say 2003 (around the Diamond and Pearl era) I started playing in Tourneys (and for when I got my first POP (now Play Pokemon) Promo, Garchomp C)
2. Yes, My Sylveon Collection Promos
3. Full Art Xerneas EX
4. Since probably around 2003
5. Not that much on PTCGO and Rarely IRL
6. Yes, at least once every day (PTCGO name btw is CyTails)

Years
1. I first started for when I was a kid, but around I'll say 2003 (around the Diamond and Pearl era) I started playing in Tourneys (and for when I got my first POP (now Play Pokemon) Promo, Garchomp C)
2. Yes, My Sylveon Collection Promos
3. Full Art Xerneas EX
4. Since probably around 2003
5. Not that much on PTCGO and Rarely IRL
6. Yes, at least once every day (PTCGO name btw is CyTails)

Just a small nitpick with the way you worded that: If you started around the Diamond and Pearl era, that puts us in 2006 or 2007, maybe 2008. If you meant that you collected before the DP era but started tournament play in the DP era, you'll probably want to break that sentence up differently than you did.

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
Years
Just a small nitpick with the way you worded that: If you started around the Diamond and Pearl era, that puts us in 2006 or 2007, maybe 2008. If you meant that you collected before the DP era but started tournament play in the DP era, you'll probably want to break that sentence up differently than you did.

Then I apologize then as I was pretty tired for when I made the post, but yeah, I started playing Tourneys around the Diamond and Pearl era (Shuppet Donk FTW!)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
It was after I discovered Pokemon when I was 5 (and started with Gold). About a year or two later I found a pack of Pokemon Cards and just started collecting and trading and playing.

Spoiler:

A playset of each and every card Kanako Eo has illustrated!

More seriously so in the past year. I started a long time ago around when I was seven and had quite a serious collection, but then I ended up giving all of those away and now I don't have a very large one.

When I can. Not many people around me play the TCG so it's difficult at times.

I sure do! I love it, but there, again, I mostly collect. I've built my irl deck in there, but even then the people who you can battle are so flaky it's not even worth it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The TCG was actually my start in the Pokemon franchise as a whole. I forced myself into it because it's what my best friend liked and I was annoyed with it, haha. But here I am today on staff on a Pokemon forum, so yeah. :P My first cards were given to me by my cousin on Christmas Eve of 1999. The very first card of that bunch was Jungle Eevee, which I still have to this day, as well as Base Set Charmander. I don't have the other two cards he gave me that night.

Probably that Eevee! I'm also really fond of Neo Discovery Umbreon. It's my favorite Pokemon and the first time I saw it was when I pulled that card, which I still have.

Hm. Gold Star Umbreon. Any Umbreon cards I don't own already, mainly.

On and off since 1999. Right now, I'm not really interested in any sets in particular, just certain Pokemon. I want to collect some more Diancie cards. That's my latest thing.

Nah. I did back when it was a thing and I had friends locally that collected and such. I'm too afraid to trade online, though I follow a lot of reputable traders and collectors on Instagram.

I don't. I'm just not interested in playing the game. I like collecting and physically owning my cards.

kirbasaur

Human-Ivasaur hybrid
Years

I, um, don't know....

yes, my unknown L, and a houndour, they are the first cards I got
180px-UnownLGreatEncounters91.jpg

180px-HoundourGreatEncounters69.jpg

I wan't a yveltal
200px-YveltalXY78.jpg

for about a few months, before my cosen got into it i just wanted eeveelutions

yes

yes, my screen name is SMITHSTORM5 on there.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
  1. How did you get started with the TCG? I don't remember but I most likely bought cards because other kids at school were buying them.
  2. Do you have a favorite card you own? My favorite card is probably the reverse holo Skiploom from Dragons Exalted, I like the color design of it. I don't even like the Pokemon all that much but I like this card.
  3. What about a card you wish you owned? Well my ultimate card want would be a full art Ninetales, for existing probably the cards I need to finish sets I collect, Ho-oh Full Art, Lugia Full Art, Keldeo Full Art, Heracross Full Art, Lysandre's Last Resort Full Art.
  4. How long have you been into collecting? 15 years with a 10 year gap in the middle, to be honest I didn't start collecting the full sets until 2013.
  5. Do you actively trade at all? No
  6. Do you play TCGO (Trading Card Game Online)? No

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016

As a kid during 6th grade. I believe the TV show had just come out the year before in 5th grade. All the kids were into it and we all started collecting cards. I remember going to the Flea Markets and they would have a ton of pokemon cards (real). They would showcase the really cool ones. Couldn't afford them back then, as my parents saw no value lol. Started collecting again this past year and probably spent more than I should have. Now, I'm just collecting sealed items, specifically related to the base sets.

So many cards, but my favorite has to be my 1st edition Neo Revelation Houndoom. Love the Artwork and Holofoil

Spoiler:

I have never had the opportunity to own a "gold star" so anyone of those. Also one of the ultra rares from the aquapolis or sky ridge sets. I don't think will actively seek one though lol.

Not sure of the years. I know I collected from Generation 1 up to the release of Generation 3. Then I stopped. Started back up last year.

Not actively no. Never really a big trader, although I have sold few of my cards on ebay.

Nope, tried to. Application doesn't work on my Mac, always gives me an error.

Heracrossing

Certified Heracross
Years
How did you get started with the TCG? When I was 7 I loved Pokemon, and when I heard there was a card game, I rushed straight to the stores!
Do you have a favorite card you own? Look at my picture ;)
What about a card you wish you owned? Full Art Mewtwo from BW4 Next Destinies. I'd buy it, but so expensive!
How long have you been into collecting? 7 years (I sold ALL My cards a year ago, so I started over a few months ago :)
Do you actively trade at all? Yes!
Do you play TCGO (Trading Card Game Online)? Nope

Back