• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An easy way to value a Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2016
    People don't seem to understand the values of pokemon and try to get more for their pokemon than they are worth in the GTS. This is how I value a pokemon:

Tier 1:
    First you need to know if the pokemon is obtainable ingame all regular pokemon are obtainable ingame from the gen 3 to 6 games there is no gap unfilled when it comes to regular Pokemon. You can get as many of them as you want by breeding and catching, thats why it has the lowest value of tier 1. You ofcourse also have an unique tier just for starters, you can trade starters for other starters but don't try to trade them for legendaries, thats just greedy.

Tier 2:
    Than you got the legendaries, you can only get one in an entire playthrough of a game and its not breedable so there's no way to obtain more than one per game, thats why they have a value of tier 2. Shinies are tied with legendaries on tier 2 because (even though it became easier) shinies are still very hard to get for most players. Game specific mega stones can be added to this tier as well. Mega stones like charizard X/Y, Mewtwo X/Y, Tyranitar/Aggron, Houndoom/Manectric and Pinser/Heracross. These values could change depending on how much you want a legendary, shiny or mega pokemon. It's all about personal preference after all.

Tier 3:
    Tier 3 pokemon are ofcourse event pokemon, event pokemon are not obtainable ingame and you have to go to an event to get these. Thats if you live close to a gamestop or other stores that host these events. Not a lot of players ever get the chance of going to an event so these pokemon are unobtainable for them. Thats why they are so rare, these pokemon include:
    Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Arceus, Darkrai, Shaymin, Genesect, Victini, Keldeo and Meloetta. If you were to be able to filter these pokemon out on GTS I don't think you would have a GTS left because 99.9% of the players ask for these no matter what pokemon you search. They are also tied with shiny legendaries if not higher tiered, if you are planning on trading your event pokemon, take no less than a shiny legendary.

Tier 4:
    Tier 4 pokemon are the shiny event pokemon, you can pretty much get anything with these.

So if you have a pokemon you have to ask yourself:
    - Can I breed this pokemon?
    - Can I catch another one of these pokemon?
    - Is the chance of catching one smaller than 1 in 8192?
    - Can I catch this pokemon ingame?
    If the answers are all no your pokemon might just be a tier 3 pokemon.

Candyspider

The cotton candy archanid
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    I agree with this, but I doubt that it is people not understanding what their pokemon are worth so much as they really don't care.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • The other thing is that some people use the GTS to clone so they put up impossible or ridiculous requests to deter accidental trades. And then there's people who just likes to show off.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I would argue that shiny Pokemon have gone below Event Pokemon in value with the advent of RNG, and then more recently the huge buff to the chances of finding a shiny in gen 6. In theory what you say should be accurate, but we kind of ruined the values of Pokemon along the way.

Years
  • 1. Kalos native events
    2. Kalos native flawless legendaries
    3. Kalos native flawless shinies
    4. Kalos native shinies
    5. Anything outside of Kalos
    6. Regular Pokemon

That's how I evaluate.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • This is my list of how the pokemon are valued (with 1 being the highest value):

1. Event legendaries (non-kalos)
    This would include legendaries such as Arceus, Genesect, Mew, etc that can't be obtained in gen 6 yet.

2. Event pokemon (Kalos native)
    Include the events in gen 6 such as Torchic, Garchomp, Scizor, etc. The pokebank Celebii is part of this category.

3. Flawless Shiny pokemon & flawless/shiny pokebank legendaries
    Shiny pokemon obtained through Matsuda method with the item shiny charm, and previous gen legendaries that's been RNG for higher IV.

4. pokebank legendaries/regular shinies/megastones
    Normal legendaries obtained from previous games, and also shinies caught through the two methods of fishing & pokeradar.

5. Kalos normal legendaries
    ingame legendaries such as Yveltal, Xerneas, Mewtwo, Kanto bird trio & Zygarde

6. Vivillon patterns
    In the GTS, if there's a Vivillon that's patterned differently from modern or Elegant, then it will get snatched up instantly. Even if the trader is asking for a pokebank legendary.

7. pokemon with unique evolution requirements (evolution stones, location, time, known moves, and evolution items)
    This does not include pokemon that evolves through water, grass and fire stones

8. fully evolved pokemon
    More specifically, pokemon that need to reach a high level to evolve such as Dragonite, Garchomp, Mandibuzz, etc.

9. basic form pokemon (pokebank/Kalos)
    pokemon that are bred from the day care. The pokebank pokemon (especially the starters) are obviously more valuable than the ones you get in Kalos.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • I would argue that shiny Pokemon have gone below Event Pokemon in value with the advent of RNG, and then more recently the huge buff to the chances of finding a shiny in gen 6. In theory what you say should be accurate, but we kind of ruined the values of Pokemon along the way.

I agree with this to an extent; the worth of a shiny has gone down from the old days of 4th gen trading due to 5th gen RNG being stupidly easy + all the increased rates of shinies in 6th gen, but I would still hold them above most event pokemon who, as of late, don't really provide much out of the ordinary unless you're a diehard collector.

I don't have a set order in which I value my trades; If I like something then I like something haha and I'll trade for it. Gen 6th has ruined me slightly in that I really need the pokeball to match the pokemon though unless it's a compatibility issue. Being from Kalos or not isn't a dealbreaker at all as some pokemon are better when they've come from the DS series (Great Ball Salamence and Scizor in general are great example of this) Having said that, a flawless Kalos event Scizor with Technician pretty much sits at the top of my ratings list *_*

Back