• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Electric Monotype Team

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
Years
  • Hey, Zylas here. I've been on the server for a bit testing out my Electric Monotype team, and it isn't going as well as I'd hope. So, I'd like you guys' advice! Do note, Electric doesn't do very well in the OU Monotype department, but I love Electric types too much to give up on them :P . Here it is:

Thundurus - Therian @ Focus Sash
    Timid
    ~Taunt
    ~Nasty Plot
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Focus Blast
    (252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP)
    Volt Absorb

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
    Modest
    ~Volt Switch
    ~Hidden Power Ice
    ~Flash Cannon
    ~Thunderbolt
    (252 Sp. Atk, 172 HP, 84 Spe)
    Sturdy

I feel like Magezone's moveset is lacking. Any way to fix that?

Jolteon @ Life Orb
    Timid
    ~Hidden Power Ice
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Volt Switch
    ~Signal Beam
    (252 Sp. Atk,252 Spe, 4 Def)
    Volt Absorb

Raikou @ Life Orb
    Rash
    ~Calm Mind
    ~Extremespeed
    ~Substitute
    ~Thunderbolt
    (252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP)
    Pressure

Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Calm
    ~Scald
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Volt Switch
    ~Thunder Wave
    (252 Def, 216 Spe, 40 HP)
    Volt Absorb

Rotom - Heat @ White Herb
    Calm
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Overheat
    ~Will-O-Wisp
    ~Pain Split
    (252 Sp. Def, 184 HP, 72 Spe)
    Levitate

Please, please give me some suggestions.

P.S. I wasn't sure what prefix to use so I guessed if its incorrect a mod can go ahead and change that.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • The most obvious obstacle offensively for all these Pokemon is Blissey, as this dedicated special wall can take many of your special attacks and can proceed to set up easily. You could either substitute you Focus Sash for a Lum Berry on Thundurus-T, or go for a physical attacker such as Electivire or Eelektross. Even though they are not seen in the OU tier both of these Pokemon can utilize Fighting type moves to take Blissey down.

Moveset for Eelektross
    ~ U-turn
    ~ Thunderpunch
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Aqua Tail
    Item: Choice Band/Expert Belt
    Nature: Adamant
    EV spread: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

Moveset for Electivire
    ~ Wild Charge
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Cross Chop
    ~ Earthquake
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EV spread: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • White Herb may seem tempting to get rid of Overheat's Special Attack drop, but it's better used in conjunction with Shell Smash, IMO. Use Leftovers as Rotom-H's item instead, since switching out (manually or with Volt Switch erases stat changes).

Thundurus-T is frail, so I don't think Taunt is a good fit on it; its Incarnate forme does that better because of Prankster. I'd use Agility over Taunt because while base 101 Speed isn't bad, it isn't the best Speed stat to have either; in that case, use 128 HP/252 SAtk/128 Spe with a Modest nature.

For Lanturn, what's the point of having a Calm nature if you aren't investing in Special Defense? Move all the Speed EVs to Special Defense.

Life Orb and Substitute is very counterproductive on Raikou as both wear down Raikou pretty fast. Event Raikou is better off as Choiced and Calm Mind sets should only use Special moves. No matter how tempting ExtremeSpeed's +2 priority is, Raikou isn't strong enough to make much of an impact with it. Change the item to Leftovers, the nature to Timid and ExtremeSpeed to Hidden Power Ice to hit Ground Pokémon.

Magnet Pull is the superior ability on Magnezone. Sure, Sturdy is a good ability too, but what makes Magnezone so good in OU is that it can trap and eliminate Steel Pokémon with Magnet Pull.

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
    Years
  • White Herb may seem tempting to get rid of Overheat's Special Attack drop, but it's better used in conjunction with Shell Smash, IMO. Use Leftovers as Rotom-H's item instead, since switching out (manually or with Volt Switch erases stat changes).

Thundurus-T is frail, so I don't think Taunt is a good fit on it; its Incarnate forme does that better because of Prankster. I'd use Agility over Taunt because while base 101 Speed isn't bad, it isn't the best Speed stat to have either; in that case, use 128 HP/252 SAtk/128 Spe with a Modest nature.

For Lanturn, what's the point of having a Calm nature if you aren't investing in Special Defense? Move all the Speed EVs to Special Defense.

Life Orb and Substitute is very counterproductive on Raikou as both wear down Raikou pretty fast. Event Raikou is better off as Choiced and Calm Mind sets should only use Special moves. No matter how tempting ExtremeSpeed's +2 priority is, Raikou isn't strong enough to make much of an impact with it. Change the item to Leftovers, the nature to Timid and ExtremeSpeed to Hidden Power Ice to hit Ground Pokémon.

Magnet Pull is the superior ability on Magnezone. Sure, Sturdy is a good ability too, but what makes Magnezone so good in OU is that it can trap and eliminate Steel Pokémon with Magnet Pull.

I understand what you're getting at, PlatinumDude considering Thundurus-T, but the frailty is the exact reason why I shouldn't use Agility, because even after I use the move most opposing leads will have already either brought me down to the bite of my Sash or set up that would've been easily avoided with Taunt. Basically, most teams will start out with a Mon that attempts at hazards, and Taunt prevents that plus the extra turn. For Lanturn, I agree with you completely on that point. I'll definitely make those changes for Raikou, but the real reason why I gave him Extremespeed was a lazy attempt at getting in a priority attack move, because I often found myself in the position where I couldn't finish off some of the Pokes with extremely low health. So could there be any way to slap in a priority move without creating a nuisance? Also, for Magnezone I have nooo idea why I put Sturdy on my set; he has Magnet Pull :P.

P.S. Any ideas for wildcards as well? You don't have to give me a whole set, just a few Pokes to ponder upon that would work efficiently.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I understand what you're getting at, PlatinumDude considering Thundurus-T, but the frailty is the exact reason why I shouldn't use Agility, because even once I hit it off most set-up will have already either brought me down to the bite of my Sash or set up that would've been easily avoided with Taunt. For Lanturn, I agree with you completely one that point. I'll definitely make those changes for Raikou, but the real reason why I gave him Extremespeed was a lazy attempt at getting in a priority attack move, because I often found myself in the position where I couldn't finish off some of the Pokes with extremely low health. So could there be any way to slap in a priority move without creating a nuisance? Also, for Magnezone I have nooo idea why I put Sturdy on my set he has Magnet Pull.

Agility Thundurus-T uses HP EVs to compensate for its frailty. Don't let Thundurus-T's low defenses discourage you from using Double Dance. Use Agility against offensive teams and Nasty Plot against defensive ones. The trick is to bring in Thundurus-T against something it can force out and set up as the opponent switches. If you still don't like this strategy, consider using Focus Blast for extra coverage or Substitute to block status in that case use Life Orb or Leftovers as the item.

I agree with Boilurn as well; I'd use Electivire because it has the Speed to use its coverage moves.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    • Replace Raikou with Azelf, and use it as your wildcard and primary lead. Raikou isn't doing anything for you; it's walled very easily because it lacks coverage moves and its ExtremeSpeed is incredibly weak. Right at the moment, Jolteon does the same job as Raikou, but better. Instead, Azelf will usually guarantee you that Stealth Rock will be set up and that the opponent won't do the same. Basically, you want to send it out at the beginning of the battle majority of the time, set up SR or use Taunt if opponent's Pokemon could have SR, then explode. You'll want to explode against any Rapid Spinners so that they can't spin away your SR. Fire Blast can be used for Steel-types, but one of the dual screens would be neat for support.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
    4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe | Timid
    Stealth Rock / Taunt / Explosion / Fire Blast or Reflect or Light Screen

• Use Lum Berry on Thundurus-T. The opponent will likely have priority moves and revenge killers in store for you, so Sash isn't quite as useful. Lum will help Thundurus-T set up on stall teams without any worry of getting statused. Replace Taunt with Hidden Power Ice, as it'll be much more useful vs both offensive and defensive teams. The BoltBeam coverage is critical to Thundurus-T's success so it can get by dragons, Celebi, etc. Additionally, I recommend using Thundurus-T as a breaker early into the match, only utilizing Nasty Plot if necessary (like, against a defensive team that has Blissey or something).

• Replace Lanturn with Electivire. Aside from Raikou, Lanturn is your weakest link. It helps with rain teams a little, but with the sheer amount of offensive pressure from your Electric-types, you shouldn't have too many issues with rain teams. Sun teams are a bigger problem, so Rotom-H is more important. With Electivire on the team, you'll have an easier time dealing with special walls. 188 Spe EVs are enough to outrun all neutral natured base 100s like Salamence and Volcarona and guarantees that Electivire will outspeed any Rotom-A (with the exception of Scarf of course). Cross Chop is primarily for Tyranitar, since Azelf may lure it in. Earthquake is for 2HKOing Jirachi, while Flamethrower is for Forretress. I'd rather use EQ though; Jirachi is a much bigger threat.

Electivire @ Life Orb
    68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe | Naive
    Wild Charge / Ice Punch / Cross Chop / Earthquake or Flamethrower

• Consider replacing Volt Switch on Jolteon with Charge Beam and use it to pick off stuff while nabbing a SAtk boost. Instead of being a hit-and-run Pokemon, it can be your main sweeper. Use it after Thundurus-T and Electivire have weakened up its checks.

• Try Choice Scarf on Magnzone, and give it 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe with Timid nature. That may make up for lack of Speed on the team (excluding Jolteon). Scarf may help more with dragons than Specs would, but be careful not to let the opponent set up on a choice-locked move. So, it would be a good idea to keep Magnezone in reserve until late game unless you really need it.

• I'm not sure what the Spe EVs are doing on Rotom-H, so I suggest using a simple 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef spread. Rotom-H wants all the bulk it can get. I agree with PlatinumDude that Leftovers would be so much more useful than White Herb. Leftovers will help a little bit with Rotom-H's Stealth Rock weakness. Thunder Wave could also be more handy for you than Pain Split.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • You realize that Azelf is actually a Psychic-type? I thought that Monotype teams won't allow pure Psychic-type Pokemon if it's a team of electric types. It is a shame that no Rapid Spinner or entry-hazard setter are of the Electric type.

Anyway, since Raikou is consider replacing I'd choose Galvantula because of it's secondary Bug-typing which is also very helpful against Grass types such as Celebi, Shiftry and Tangrowth.

Sirfetch’d

You realize that Azelf is actually a Psychic-type? I thought that Monotype teams won't allow pure Psychic-type Pokemon if it's a team of electric types. It is a shame that no Rapid Spinner or entry-hazard setter are of the Electric type.

Anyway, since Raikou is consider replacing I'd choose Galvantula because of it's secondary Bug-typing which is also very helpful against Grass types such as Celebi, Shiftry and Tangrowth.

This is for the current mono tournament that is taking place which allows one wildcard of a different type to be used.

Also I'd agree on Galvantula because it has great coverage and can make use of a good Specs or life orb set and hit ground types hard with Giga Drain.

Galvantula @Choice Specs/Life Orb
    Compundeyes
    Timid 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD
    -Thunder
    -Giga drain
    -Bug Buzz
    -HP Ground

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
    Years
  • Biolurn, he said a wild card, which is like a one Pokemon that you can have that doesn't have to correspond to the type :P

EDIT: Gosh darn you ninja'd me jellicentfan!

Back