• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Adding "Badges" features

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Hello,

I usually don't make threads, cuz I am not an active member in the PC forums, even so, I am still a precious member riigght?! ^^ I want to participate at least just a minimum by submitting a suggestion.
The idea is to add something for members to feel a bit more special about themselves by getting badges for specific reasons, like ROM Hacker badge for people whom made a hack at least once, or people who participate a lot in discussions, a badge for old school members...etc. (that will also push members to work hard for it to achieve)
Badges will show up on profil or/and above in the profil information above the comment.

Thank you very much for listening to everyone's feedbacks, and always responding your beloved PC members. I am really glad to be one of you guys! Much love.

~Caramelo

Last edited:
Reactions: Del

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Have you checked out emblems? They kind of do what you're suggesting. Maybe suggesting different kinds of emblems or different ways they can be viewed might be a cool idea. For example, people can elect to "feature" 3 or so badges and those would show up under their info or name.

Del

Years
Have you checked out emblems? They kind of do what you're suggesting. Maybe suggesting different kinds of emblems or different ways they can be viewed might be a cool idea. For example, people can elect to "feature" 3 or so badges and those would show up under their info or name.
Yes that what I meant, and no I didn't know about emblems It has been so long that I didn't ckech out the forums, Ty for your reply.

Honestly I think that this wouldn't add much. Emblems exist, and I don't see any reason to feature any of them in the already crowded postbit.
Thank you for your honest opinion, but where are the emblems?

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Yes that what I meant, and no I didn't know about emblems It has been so long that I didn't ckech out the forums, Ty for your reply.

Thank you for your honest opinion, but where are the emblems?

You can find a list of most emblems here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=237337

You'll also find forum-specific emblems and event related emblems from time to time in their appropriate threads.

Del

Years

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
But I also mentioned If the user could chose 3 out of his obtained badges under his picture and banner It would be a cool feat!
That has been something that has been discussed in the staff section before. There has even been an alternative to emblems discussed before in the staff section, and even badges have been talked about before in CF&S (though when it was last brought up, it was meant to be a little different from emblems, and in a way that I would very much like to see). But there hasn't been any movement on that front for quite a while since I take it higher staff kinda forgot about it since they kinda have a lot of shit to deal with in general

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
i think its a great idea
infact, i love it when forums have that feature
badge/award system

its cute, its fun if you have to do specific things for them around the forum
and it can make you feel unique when you on a forum if you get cool ones
it can make people want to stay and stick around to collect them.... and many more reasons why its cool idea

but obviously many are against it haha
too bad​

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
If anyone knows about emblems, and still wants a "badge" system, could they please explain what they think the difference is between emblems and badges?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I think that we offer more than enough customisation options to our users already, and that it's easily possible to stand out without additional postbit clutter. That said though we're aware that Emblems aren't the most... exciting things in the world, and we've have a better system in the back of our minds for a while -- but you know the drill; there's a lot of work to be done in general, so it's low on the priority list.

If anyone knows about emblems, and still wants a "badge" system, could they please explain what they think the difference is between emblems and badges?

If I'm understanding correctly (and I hope I am, since this is the whole basis of my reply), the only distinction I being made in this thread is that Badges would hypothetically show in postbits.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
If I'm understanding correctly (and I hope I am, since this is the whole basis of my reply), the only distinction I being made in this thread is that Badges would hypothetically show in postbits.
I recall some people thinking that "badges" should be more exclusive and hard to get, and be awarded for only really notable stuff. Elitist, in other words (you decide whether that's an insult or not). Emblems have certainly become bloated, and I know that in the elitists' eyes, the sheer quantity of them detracts from the so-called "important" emblems.

As you've mentioned, though, we have a new system in mind for the future (ETA: no idea) which can replace the more frivolous aspects of emblems, leaving emblems themselves to get more serious and exclusive. And hopefully, during all those changes, emblems will find their way into the postbit (preferably each member could choose up to 5 of their emblems to show off there).

Del

Years
...since they kinda have a lot of shit to deal with in general
[S-HIGHLIGHT]You got a point, not only that, also I think that would be a pain in the butt to do such scripts and algorithms for that, I think PC higher ups already got their hands busy.. [/S-HIGHLIGHT]

I think that we offer more than enough customisation... it's low on the priority list.
[S-HIGHLIGHT]It is true that the PC forums has a lot of special features and divers customisation... I believe there is plenty of room to improve! We should be greedy for more (; ...[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Aw, awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. :] I love it when people suggest things that have been floating in the corners of my brain haha.

I'm going to be super cryptic because I'm tired of building up all the PC 2.0 hype and then letting people down, buuuut... one of the major major focus points of our upcoming redesign is to make the awesome things people on PC create more visible/important, and building communities around that. So while you may not see badges for oldschool members or people who participate in a lot of conversations, what we do want is for people who join for specific things, e.g. ROM Hacking or Art Gallery, to be recognized as a part of those communities. Which may take a similar form to what you're envisioning for badges, just with more functionality. 8)
*hides*

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Finally, the big shot made an appearance... but hides in the last sec :D hahah, I swear that what I precisely wanted! badges for honnors, affilations (as you said for part of communities), clubs etc...
Well It is easy to say... because I only say* and then hide* while you appear* and work* to make It happens LOL, Thank you for the reply!![/S-HIGHLIGHT]

"badges" should be more exclusive and hard to get, and be awarded for only really notable stuff..
[S-HIGHLIGHT]Emblems are something given manually by moderators to the users to represent some specific actions made by members (Shut Up emblem, good pair emblem...etc.
Compared to the badge, in addition as you said, Its not manually but automatic, by marking* members on a specific achievement or distinguishing them from the others, as Ausaudriel said earlier; "...people who join for specific ...communities...".
Being shown in the (header) or what you call (postbit) would be a great feat.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
See for me the difference between the two would be emblems are for everything where as badges are more of a post count deal. Make 100 posts and you get the Boulder Badge for example.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Emblems were much more popular back then, nowadays not that much of people care about Emblems. If there's something that can differentiate badges from emblems, then that would be better! (:

Perhaps badges can go with the more trivial aspects like reaching 500 posts, appearing in a section consecutively for seven days, etc? While Emblems can solely focus on the commemorative stuff like birthday emblems, new year emblems and so on.

Back